Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why are the Cake twins STILL babies?

FlareGun45

I just noticed them in Best Gift Ever, and they STILL have dots for eyes! Four Hearth's Warmings gone by since their births! They're at least 4 years old by now! They need a model change. This ain't the Simpsons, and I'm sure Hasbro can afford it!

• Brohoof 2

It’d be interesting for Hasbro to have a fan competition where people submit new designs for characters.

And, I should add, Hasbro had the characters in Equestria Girls redesigned relatively recently by a rather well-known designer, so it’s not because they’re cheap.

Edited by Arkadios
  • Brohoof 3

Why are the CMC still fillies? Why is Timmy Turner from The Fairly Odd parents still a kid. Why is spongebob still a sponge?

Cartoon logic, that is why.

• Brohoof 5

1 hour ago, shyabetes3939 said:

The answer is simple: Making new designs for them would cost money, and so Hasbro is too lazy to do it.

I would argue the lazy part, maybe it’s just a case the Cake twins don’t have an important role to waste time and money in updating the models :huh:. Agree it’s rather grating, they are about a year before another stage of pony growth

Edited by Steve Piranha
  • Brohoof 1

They aren’t babies anymore. At least not infants. I think that they are not longer being depicted as wearing diapers anymore so that means they are more likely considered toddlers. Not sure how many people caught that little touch. 

They are also probably at speaking age. Since we don’t always hear secondary/tertiary charters speak, their silence at this stage can’t be used as evidence. We also had in universe depictions of ages toddlers that still have the dot eyes that speak, and are conversational. 

Considering that the Cake Twins aren't seen as major characters, them being given a 'face lift' as it were wouldn't make much sense. Besides, as some have already said, the passage of time doesn't quite work the same as it does in real life.

Simple. Ponies age slowly, or at least there phases of growth are more drawn out. It takes roughly 3 years for a baby to become a toddler. Maybe it's twice as long for ponies? The CMC are still pre / early teens during a time span where most would be mid to older teens by now. We don't know the life spans or growth cycle of the ponies. All we have are educated guesses or estimates of things. Which are further thrown off when there are few differences between adult ponies of varying ages.  

Twi and Cheerilee look the same age. But Twi is in her late teens at the earliest while Cheerilee could easily be in her 30s. Not to mention there's Twi and her own mom looking roughly the same age. 

Until we get further proof otherwise, we just have to presume that ponies just age and grow more slowly. 

15 hours ago, Ganondorf8 said:

Considering that the Cake Twins aren't seen as major characters, them being given a 'face lift' as it were wouldn't make much sense. Besides, as some have already said, the passage of time doesn't quite work the same as it does in real life.

this would hold water, but the show shows the twins ARE aging. They used to wear diapers, but now they don't- so seemingly, they've aged enough to be potty trained

4 hours ago, Nightmare Muffin said:

this would hold water, but the show shows the twins ARE aging. They used to wear diapers, but now they don't- so seemingly, they've aged enough to be potty trained

I could also say that the animators may have changed over the years in that those who were there at the start may have been replaced by others. As such, the newer animators may have decided to change some small aspects of the Cake Twins without realizing they are supposed to be babies. I know this opinion of mine isn't a strong one but it's all I could think of without going way too deep into it.

On 11/14/2018 at 5:59 PM, FlareGun45 said:

I just noticed them in Best Gift Ever, and they STILL have dots for eyes! Four Hearth's Warmings gone by since their births! They're at least 4 years old by now! They need a model change. This ain't the Simpsons, and I'm sure Hasbro can afford it!

Yeah...it’s been 5 years since S1 show wise, so the cake twins should update to their toddler templates...

Also, wow. The CMC must be 12 now. Time flies huh?

But I noticed the Cake twins can talk, or at least sing~

Edited by Andromedaz

14 hours ago, The Nth Doctor said:

The CMC have actually grown a little taller since their debuts, but whether that's because they aged or because the animation's gotten better is up for debate

1431354__safe_screencap_rarity_sweetie+b

I did think Sweetie Bell looked bigger in that episode... thought my eyes were just messing with me.

19 hours ago, The Nth Doctor said:

The CMC have actually grown a little taller since their debuts, but whether that's because they aged or because the animation's gotten better is up for debate

1431354__safe_screencap_rarity_sweetie+b

Sweetie’s head is bigger...I’d say they are a bit bigger. Not much, but it’s something