Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Non Pony Events

Jeric

As some may have noticed on the event calendar we will be celebrating the 20th anniversary Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. While we will always be first and foremost a place to discuss everything surrounding My Little Pony, that isn't all we are. The interests of the people that populate this forum are as varied as our personalities. From gaming, anime, comics, wrestling, and Lovecraft ... we have many interests. This is why on some occasions we want to pay homage to other IP's or themes that some may enjoy. Now, obviously this presents a pro and con. One particular drawback is that some will not be able to enjoy events surrounding something like Zelda if them simple couldn't care less about the IP. I mean, it's hard to kick ass in a trivia on Sci-Fi properties if you don't know who Card, Asimov, and Heinlein are, right? So there will invariably be events that you won't care for. That's understandable. That also opens up a benefit. You may not care about Star Wars or Marvel, but I bet there is a theme that would interest you! This is your opportunity to recommend events and themes to us that aren't Pony. We have a dedicated team of event staffers who have proven that they can whip up some fun little nods to many IP's. 

I can tell you that there are already plans in 2019 to celebrate a few specific non Pone events, but let me turn this over to you the community to see what you want to participate in coming down the line. 

• Brohoof 10

I would like to say that I am thrilled at the chance to celebrate the 20th anniversary of The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time here on the forums. These kinds of events are going to be just like the character events that have been happening every month since they first started back in June. In other words, don't expect them to be grand or anything.

• Brohoof 1

If there is no Pokemon-themed event... I will be forever disappointed in the whole staff :eww:

I am not being serious about the staff bit of course, I do hope for one eventually and also see more events for other franchises!

52 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

If there is no Pokemon-themed event... I will be forever disappointed in the whole staff :eww:

I am not being serious about the staff bit of course, I do hope for one eventually and also see more events for other franchises!

*Starts plotting on how to ruin that event*

Heck, even a more general event like a Film Festival or celebrating our favorite content creators could be something easily achievable. There are many options open to us here. moustache.png

• Brohoof 3

On 11/19/2018 at 1:32 PM, ChB said:

I would like to see events for Star Wars, Harry Potter, Disney/Pixar, SpongeBob, and/or Fallout. 

I support the Disney/Pixar & SpongeBob idea! :squee:

• Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...

I think I'm the only one, who dislikes the whole idea. :mlp_icwudt:

Having non-pony events itself isn't bad. Putting spotlight on things for everyone to discuss is a good idea, but in my opinion these should be handled in a separate section (some kind of an off-topic one), that one could follow if desired and should not go any further than that - maybe except sharing thoughts in status updates, because that's what users will do anyway... which by the way ended up completely flooding these with something I had to ignore (not because of hate - just because I couldn't relate to, nor understand any of this), but that's understandable and fine. I just hid myself in a wardrobe and wasn't browsing through these during that event. :squee:

Having these globally ~ all over the place with badges and stuff is a little bit... um.. unnecessary and spammy, even invasive to some degree. For instance I'm not a fan of Zelda (Not hate - I simply didn't have a chance to play it back then, nor have the opportunity to do this now, but that's on a side note), yet I got badges related to it - without doing anything. Don't get me wrong though, it's not an issue, always nice to have more, eh? :mlp_icwudt: --but in my opinion there were too many badges already - that many, that these became pretty obsolete (quantity over quality) and I stopped caring to catch up with these.

Now this is just one example, but from what I see above, I believe we all will get into similar situation at some point.

Will be there a pokeball badge for catching a pokemon in a thread and another similar one for answering trivia?
Will be there a fus-ro-dah badge for killing a dragon in a thread and another similar one for answering trivia related to random NPC's you can talk to there?
Will be there a shotgun badge for helping terminator saving a guy in a thread and another similar one for answering trivia related to terminator full model names?
Will be there a spuderweb badge for catching spuderman in his own web in a thread and another similar one for answering trivia related to Mary Jane?
Will be there a lightsaber badge for defeating Vader in a thread and another similar one for answering trivia related to which planets did he destroy with the Death Star?
Will be there a Hannah Montana badge for talking with fake-account of her in a thread and another similar one for telling what shows Disney Channel currently airs?
Will be there a dirt badge for posting a screenshot of a house with ladders made in Minecraft and another similar one related to mobs and their all parameters?
Will be there... and so on ... and what about MLP? There really isn't anything to do there anymore? Is it really going to die?

(No offense of course - nothing personal :mlp_please:)

Speaking of quantity over quality - there are events quite often, but they all are mostly limited to trivias. Now don't get me wrong again, Ganondorf works really hard on these events and he does a great job, nobody can deny, but there's a lack of some variety. Answering questions over and over again, where some are pretty detailed even for hardcore fans, so that they have to look that up started to feel like doing homework, for me at least. It simply got repetitive at some point. Now here the problem with trivias+non-pony-events is, that these make the events even less enjoyable for ones, who are not familiar with the material. I believe simpler events with more 'adventurish' feel of some kind, where everyone could take a part without any knowledge would make these approachable by these users, especially given the fact, that there will be many newcomers to these. Members being completely unable to fight for the badge may make them feel partially out of place and/or simply disappointed. Most of them came mainly for ponies and this is what this community is all about after all. Personally I don't have troubles with this, as stated before, about badges.

That repetitiveness was being broken by Jeric with events, that had some backstory and tasks not requiring intense Googling, nor abusing Wikias. Sadly though, some turned out to require too much work (e.g. Rarity's), some didn't work well as planned (e.g. PWC), which in the end left us getting flooded with badges randomly found for ... just posting somewhere anywhere, without even knowing about the event itself. Too bad, because I liked the direction in which these were going. This is where I'd prefer event coordinators helping organizing more engaging events, where there would be only one badge (if there really has to be any) just for participating and having fun. The events should be enjoyable for everyone (well for most at least), not split the community in half. If it would be possible for me to fully enjoy the events, in which I don't have any idea about the material, then perhaps now that would be an opportunity to look into it, rather than having to ignore right from the beginning.

I know what you may think now, especially Jeric - - - that because of grumpy walls of text like mine you can't have anything nice. Please do not get me wrong, it is not what I meant to say; If you took it that way, that is. Also sorry Ganondorf (again) if what I said sounded disappointing to you; You're putting a lot of effort into these and this is appreciated, we should be thankful to you.

It's just that I have bad experiences with officially supporting more off-topic things. The most common one in my case is anime. I've been in few places, where one day everything got heavily derailed by anime cat girls (known as Nekos) and pretty much everything else related to that. People kept talking about / posting these everywhere, which made me feel out of place. I didn't feel like being active there anymore at some point. ... So yeah.. That Zelda event made me a little bit worried, that's all.

Nevertheless, if everyone else likes that idea and they enjoy all of these events, then please disregard what I said. I understand not everyone likes everything and this time it is about me I guess - In any case I don't want to ruin the fun for anyone else, so keep what you're doing up! :darling: I just wanted to share my thoughts, but no worries, there are no problems. There's nothing wrong with events as they are, assuming the others enjoy these of course. :mlp_grin: Besides, who knows? Perhaps there will be something I may be interested in. :muffins:

Once more, please don't get me wrong. :mlp_rarity: Should I hide? :please:

Edited by Rikifive
  • Brohoof 2

@Rikifive I think you make some really good points, and I share your sentiments. Perhaps we should at least make a separate “Non-Pony Forum Events” Section in the “Beyond Equestria” category. That way, we don’t alienate users who don’t care for Star Wars, Pokémon, etc. 

I also think we should limit the number of trivias, so that users can get a break from the work needed to answer a trivia every now and then, especially during holiday seasons. 

• Brohoof 2

4 minutes ago, ChB said:

Perhaps we should at least make a separate “Non-Pony Forum Events” Section in the “Beyond Equestria” category. That way, we don’t alienate users who don’t care for Star Wars, Pokémon, etc. 

Alienating is a good word there. :P Non-Pony Events would be even fine as a subsection in the existing Forum Events, though on the other hoof, Beyond Equestria would be a more fitting place indeed.

11 minutes ago, ChB said:

I also think we should limit the number of trivias, so that users can get a break from the work needed to answer a trivia every now and then, especially during holiday seasons. 

These should be just enjoyable for everyone, that's the main concern. :twi:

• Brohoof 1

14 minutes ago, Rikifive said:

Alienating is a good word there. :P Non-Pony Events would be even fine as a subsection in the existing Forum Events, though on the other hoof, Beyond Equestria would be a more fitting place indeed.

These should be just enjoyable for everyone, that's the main concern. :twi:

I’ll admit that “alienate” is the wrong word and that I should explain myself better. I think the Non-Pony Forum Events should not be such a major part of the forum that people who’ve never seen or otherwise indifferent to the media in question don’t have it rubbed in their faces.

• Brohoof 2

2 hours ago, ChB said:

I’ll admit that “alienate” is the wrong word and that I should explain myself better. I think the Non-Pony Forum Events should not be such a major part of the forum that people who’ve never seen or otherwise indifferent to the media in question don’t have it rubbed in their faces.

But if the scale of these would be large enough (amount & spread), "alienate" could be the correct word, but it still depends on some other factors. Nevertheless, I get what you mean and that's basically what I wanted to say with that wall of text.

While it's not an issue for me, it simply worries me a little bit. So far .. heh.. let's say I didn't have a chance to even *try* to enjoy these. :darling: Nothing to be worried about though. :mlp_grin:

• Brohoof 1

Would I like to see other non-MLP events? Yes, I'd like to see more events of this nature in the future. What we did with the Ocarina of Time event was gauge to see what worked and what didn't thus applying it for the future when we need it again.