Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

animation Hanna-Barbera.

CastletonSnob

What are your thoughts on Hanna-Barbera? On one hand, they did make Tom and Jerry, which was genuinely good, they essentially created the animated sitcom with Flintstones and Wait Till Your Father Gets Home, and Butch Hartman and Seth MacFarlane came from HB. On the other hand, they made a lot of cheaply animated cartoons and recycled a lot of their own premises. I mean, how many times did they copy the Scooby-Doo formula?

• Brohoof 1

Cartoons from that era in general were pretty cheaply made. A lot of early Marvel cartoons barely had any animation whatsoever (example) though in their defense, they were trying to ape the style of comics. Compared to shows by Cambria Productions, even the cheapest Hannah-Barbera show is an animated masterpiece.

As for the actual quality of the shows, I can't say much. I like The Flintstones, Scooby-Doo and Super Friends...but those are the only three of their classic series I ever really got into. I always geared more towards there revivals I guess, like Whats New, Scooby-Doo and DC Flintstones 

• Brohoof 2

I liked many of the cartoons, but I agree with you on the animation quality. It was readily apparent when the character was talking. Their head would move with the emotions, but the rest of the body was completely stiff. 

I was a really big Scooby Doo fanboy as a kid.  :twismile:

50 minutes ago, Phosphor said:

I liked many of the cartoons, but I agree with you on the animation quality. It was readily apparent when the character was talking. Their head would move with the emotions, but the rest of the body was completely stiff.  

I was a really big Scooby Doo fanboy as a kid.  :twismile:

Turns out, there was a perfectly good reason for that!

Personally, though.... mixed bag for me. I liked some - I never got into Scooby Doo, it bored me, but that might be because I never realized it was supposed to be a mystery show, not an adventure one, and anything suffixed with "kids" was just right down terrible. On the other hand, I loved the old-style Tom and Jerry cartoons.

• Brohoof 1

6 minutes ago, Quinch said:

Turns out, there was a perfectly good reason for that!

Personally, though.... mixed bag for me. I liked some - I never got into Scooby Doo, it bored me, but that might be because I never realized it was supposed to be a mystery show, not an adventure one, and anything suffixed with "kids" was just right down terrible. On the other hand, I loved the old-style Tom and Jerry cartoons.

Ah, thanks for that. That animation technique makes sense when considering the time restraints and limited budgets.

I also enjoyed Tom and Jerry. :D 

Well, you know, they kept the seat warm during the 70s, and in the 80s and 90s, they gave us such gems as Richie Rich, The Smurfs, Pirates of Dark Water, 2 Stupid Dogs, Super Secret Secret Squirrel, and last but definitely not least, The Powerpuff Girls - a show that survived both Hanna-Barbera the company, and Hanna and Barbera themselves.

But yeah, the Scooby-Doo clones are terrible.

I'd say that Hanna-Barbera, as an animation studio, began losing its way in the 1970s and was unable to regain its former glory. This is due to other animation studios forming in the early 1980s and taking away the market which had primarily been under Hanna-Barbera's control when they started making animated cartoons for television. Perhaps their greatest success was Tom & Jerry though I won't deny that some of their earlier properties proved to be ground-breaking.

When I was little I always thought the Hanna-Barbera cartoons were the low rung on the ladder of cartoons; bad animation and not very good writing in many cases, even though Tom & Jerry, some of the Flintstones and The Jetsons were alright. I'd watch them if nothing else was on, and often did, but they were never my favorites. 

Edited by Dreambiscuit

7 hours ago, Jordan D said:

Cartoons from that era in general were pretty cheaply made. A lot of early Marvel cartoons barely had any animation whatsoever (example) though in their defense, they were trying to ape the style of comics. Compared to shows by Cambria Productions, even the cheapest Hannah-Barbera show is an animated masterpiece.

As for the actual quality of the shows, I can't say much. I like The Flintstones, Scooby-Doo and Super Friends...but those are the only three of their classic series I ever really got into. I always geared more towards there revivals I guess, like Whats New, Scooby-Doo and DC Flintstones 

Good Lord, the animation in that cartoon you posted makes Hanna-Barbera look like Disney.

The voice acting isn't very good either. 

Edited by VG_Addict