Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

g4 reboot or g5 movie

ManaMinori

So according to the not so secret leaks that dropped a while ago, Hasbro is planning on either rebooting g4 and making it g4.5, or introducing us to a whole new gen, which would bring about g5. In either case, we're supposed to be getting a movie that introduces the reboot/ new gen in 2020, which isn't too far off and will be upon us before we know it. Do you guys have any hopes and expectations for this film? Any wanted cameos from g4, or references from other (or the same) franchises? Personally, I'd love to see callbacks to some of Hasbro's past IP's, like Moon Dreamers, or some veins of MLP's past toyline, such as Dream Beauties, Takara ponies, Milky and Lily (they could easily references them with a play on words and having Tokara pony breeds), or even Majesty from g1.

Knowing the ending is coming in 2020 feels so weird, especially with how they're still producing new spin-off material for MLP. Just a few days ago, they announced a new manga series that is, presumably, set to produce yearly volumes of work, but with the end being in 2020, that means at most they'll produce two volumes (unless all of this is also gonna tie in G5 and/or they're not quite abandoning G4).

I was never to big into the toy scene for MLP so I can't say much i'd care to much for cameos from past toylines, but the Takara Ponies are pretty cute (I also have a soft spot for DreamBeauties) but I'm always down with cameos or even straight crossovers with other Hasbro series. There's so much teasing that MLP takes place in the "Hasbro Universe" multiverse but nothing concrete, so I would love to see some sort of final confirmation.

As for the actual movie/series, I'm personally hoping for something more akin to the original cartoon but done with the grace of Friendship is Magic. You know, lots of creative adventures in new locations but also with a more consistent narrative and world.

If they make a new generation, I’d like to see G4 treated as a stream-of-consciousness/Renaissance phenomenon, and then I’d like to see the ideas used in G4 applied in a more consistent way.

• 1 month later...

I haven't watched much MLP:FiM lately because I've been focusing on other things, but I heard the MLP movie was really good (gonna have to get around to watching it sometime).

I count on G5 being just as good as G4, or even better. But I don't agree with continuing FiM beyond Season 9, because as good as the show and its fan community have been, my worst fear is that should it go beyond Season 9, it'll become repetitive and the creators will start recycling ideas and it'll eventually stop being funny, and I'd hate to see it go down that path.

Edited by xX_PinkDragon_Xx

On 11/15/2018 at 8:33 PM, Nightmare Muffin said:

So according to the not so secret leaks that dropped a while ago, Hasbro is planning on either rebooting g4 and making it g4.5, or introducing us to a whole new gen, which would bring about g5. In either case, we're supposed to be getting a movie that introduces the reboot/ new gen in 2020, which isn't too far off and will be upon us before we know it. Do you guys have any hopes and expectations for this film? Any wanted cameos from g4, or references from other (or the same) franchises? Personally, I'd love to see callbacks to some of Hasbro's past IP's, like Moon Dreamers, or some veins of MLP's past toyline, such as Dream Beauties, Takara ponies, Milky and Lily (they could easily references them with a play on words and having Tokara pony breeds), or even Majesty from g1.

My desired scenario would be soft-rebooting G4 into G4.5. Same world, but like EG, you don’t need to watch FIM to follow it. Unlike EG tho, a cast of at least mostly new characters

On 1/1/2019 at 1:54 PM, Bas said:

On which season are you yet? I am just saying that you should use the most recent season as a reasoning whether it has become what you feared, or if it didn't. 

If memory serves me right, the furthest I got was maybe either Season 2 or Season 3. But it's been so long since last time I watched an episode that it's difficult for me to remember now.

As long as the Mane 6 are included in some way, I don't mind g5. The Mane 6 are a big reason I fell in love with the show (especially RD and Pinkie), so not including them would be horrible to  me, though I'd probably still reluctantly watch it.

I have nothing against Cameos of past Mlp Generations, but please no more G4, i think we had already enough. If it will have the same cast of characters, im not sure if i will be interested at all. ( okay, maybe the german voice cast will still be different, because thankfully i can watch the german version, which sometimes changes up its cast partially. )

It would be a different thing if they use a different Art Style, than a reboot could maybe work, because it would feel like something new. But please no reboot of G4 with the same art style because...what would be the point? It would be the same, just the pony races would be mixed up or whatever, that doesnt really justify a reboot.

Either make a completely new Generation ( which i would prefer ) or make a different looking G4.5 .

• Brohoof 1

I honestly wouldn't mind a G4.5 along with G5. G4.5 could be about the children of the Mane 6 (among other characters. I'd prefer Kilala's next gen characters being used) and G5 taking place in its own universe. G4.5 can still be done in Flash while G5 can be done in Toon Boom (with the prequel movie being 3d).

Edited by vgmaster9

• 1 year later...