Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Would you live in Equestria if it smelled like a toilet bowl?

KillerKingBakudan

According to Lauren Faust, the ponies in Equestria do their business like actual horses. Sure, they've got bathrooms. But for the most part, they're free to just crap anywhere they want in their most private moments (except maybe in Celestia's castle).

That said, they may have been fertilizing the ground for so long that they probably don't even notice the smell at all. Or if they do, they might just write it off as a minor inconvenience. Which would practically make Equestria the fictional equivalent to present-day San Francisco. It may have a lot to offer, but no matter what good things you find outdoors, you're bound to get that unmistakable stench stuck in your nose until you leave.

Would you say it's worth living in pony society with friends like the Mane Six, or would the shit be too much for you to handle?

As it is, the human world smells pretty bad a lot of the time (not just San Francisco). So I would choose to live in Equestria surrounded by things I can relate to as opposed to the human world which doesn't have the bonuses of my favorite cartoon ponies. If it got too bad around the ponies, I'd just go to Zecora's and get a potion to mute the noxious smell. Problem solved.

Ha! You forget that the season 8 finale added that little bit about imbuing magic into food. That changes the whole equation. For all we know, magic food can be more efficient than non magical food eliminating physical waste. 

If you live long enough into some kind of environment you will get used to it and adapt to it. Senses grow more dull to some certain things etc. So i dont really think there would be much of an issue in the longer run if you get past the initial phase.

Here's something you need to consider. What are they eating? Actual horse dung doesn't have a strong smell to it because they're fed grains and grasses. Other animals like pigs which will eat just about whatever you give to them will produce some foul smelling stool. The one exception I've found to an animal that produces waste that wreaks while having a very plain consistent diet is chickens, but birds do all of their business from the same hole and for the most part at the same time so I think that's why they smell so bad. I would expect the ponies to have a fairly diverse diet so they might stink up a storm if they just left it about in the streets but I'm pretty sure they don't do that.

Places like Manehatten I'm sure have proper indoor plumbing, Canterlot is set on a mountain so a makeshift stream or spring powered system could be in place washing everything down to some treatment facility at the bottom, and I suspect Ponyville like we saw at Dodge junction, has the use of outhouses. These might be set to up to where they just empty buckets into carts everyday and it's someone's job to dump it far off.

Still wouldn't want to live there though.

• Brohoof 3

3 hours ago, Jeric said:

Ha! You forget that the season 8 finale added that little bit about imbuing magic into food. That changes the whole equation. For all we no, magic food can be more efficient than non magical food eliminating physical waste. 

I wonder... what does it smell like around the rock farm?

I think the fact that there were ponies living on rocks at all though makes this whole discussion kind of moot. I mean, that establishes Ponies can live on cake, hay, or inorganic matter. Their digestive system must be insanely complex. We can't even imagine what it would smell like. Almost surely not anything we would associate with bathrooms though.

Edited by BornAgainBrony

Do the ponies in Equestria really just crap anywhere at random? They seem to use indoor plumbing. Even the extremely rural areas at least had an outhouse (featured in The Last Roundup, think)

If they did and Equestria ended up smelling bad, I would just stay where I am. It smells fresh here!  :mlp_grin:

3 hours ago, NoOneInParticular said:

That Lauren Faust tweet was a joke and shouldn't be taken as canon. I'm really surprised people still bring it up as if it were anything more than a bit of crude humor.

Exactly. The ponies may be animals, but they're cartoon animals and just as civilized as humans. The fact that there are outhouses shows that they are aware of a need for both privacy and waste disposal, so the likelihood that they have normal pony-styled restrooms should be the obvious conclusion. Nobody wants to smell shit everywhere, their own included, so I'm sure they have facilities and make full use of them.

...I guess. I'm pretty sure that the ponies wouldn't lack manners and do their business out in the open. None of them really strike me as the type to be so...uncivilized.

Yeah, okay fine, if you want to be this disgusting about it then I guess you are going to get your own fertilizer. You know what? That's still gross, ponies do have toilets for a reason.

16 hours ago, KillerKingBakudan said:

Not unless it comes from horses whose diets are mostly comprised of cupcakes and other confections at Sugarcube Corner.

If this claim of yours was true, then your problem would have a predominantly gaseous form.