Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

health America's healthcare system sucks.

CastletonSnob

I got turned down by THREE healthcare companies. I had to sign up for Medicaid to get disability. My mom says I don't really need the money, but only Medicaid would take me. 

I heard that if you earn too much, you can lose your disability.

The healthcare system in America is a complete joke.

• Brohoof 4

The healthcare system is a f***ing joke, to be honest. We pay way more money we should for the level of care we actually get. But that's okay because it ends up with the politicians that are supposed to serve us *sarcastic*.

That actually makes sense, because disability benefits are supposed to be for people who aren't able to make their own money for one reason or another. I've thought about going on disability myself if I were diagnosed with Asperger's, but I'd likely do it as a last resort.

Edited by ~Dusky~
  • Brohoof 1

The current system is designed to take and farm money from people. They do not care about your well being AT ALL. 

I Lost a friend because they didn’t have insurance, and after ingesting a bunch of pain killers they got turned away because they weren’t showing any over dose symptoms. They later passed in their bed. Of course the hospital is free from blame because this person signed a waiver saying they sign away their rights to sue if something goes foul basically. 

Im not anti-capitalism, but this is an example of being rich equating to a longer healthier life. 

• Brohoof 1

5 hours ago, VG_Addict said:

The healthcare system in America is a complete joke.

System? What system?

There's a bit in the documentary Sicko about a guy who lost two fingers in an accident. Getting one reattached would set him back $12,000, the other $60,000. He had to choose which finger to have reattached.

There are people who live in the northern US who go through the long tedious process of having to come back to the US just to go to Canada for medical treatment.

9 minutes ago, Arkadios said:

System? What system?

There's a bit in the documentary Sicko about a guy who lost two fingers in an accident. Getting one reattached would set him back $12,000, the other $60,000. He had to choose which finger to have reattached.

There are people who live in the northern US who go through the long tedious process of having to come back to the US just to go to Canada for medical treatment.

It's not even just the US health care system. Other countries may have "free" healthcare but the hospitals would be backlogged immensely. Not to mention the amount of people exploiting it for minor shit. Call me cynical, but I think most healthcare system are designed to have some major flaw.

About Canada, take a look at an article like this.

https://www.heritage.org/health-care-reform/report/the-top-ten-things-people-believe-about-canadian-health-care-shouldnt

• Brohoof 3

1 minute ago, TwilySparky said:

It's not even just the US health care system. Other countries may have "free" healthcare but the hospitals would be backlogged immensely. Not to mention the amount of people exploiting it for minor shit. Call me cynical, but I think most healthcare system are designed to have some major flaw.

Yes, this. I was waiting for someone to say this. As much as some peeps across the Atlantic don't like to admit it, their healthcare is also significantly flawed in some way.

Quality, affordability, and accessibility. Pick two.

Just now, Windseeker said:

Yes, this. I was waiting for someone to say this. As much as some peeps across the Atlantic don't like to admit it, their healthcare is also significantly flawed in some way.

There is always a flaw somewhere in there. I wholeheartedly agree that American healthcare is god awful.

• Brohoof 1

2 minutes ago, TwilySparky said:

True, but at least governments that provide healthcare to their citizens are willing to actually provide for the people they govern, rather than taking their money and spending it on the military (that's a whole other Pandora's box to keep closed here).

In my inexperienced opinion, the "for the people" part of the Gettysburg Address was lost long before it was even said.

• Brohoof 2

Just now, Windseeker said:

Yeah but I'd rather have atleast some medical attention quality or not than be pretty much screwed because the costs are insane 

1 minute ago, Arkadios said:

True, but at least governments that provide healthcare to their citizens are willing to actually provide for the people they govern, rather than taking their money and spending it on the military (that's a whole other Pandora's box to keep closed here).

In my inexperienced opinion, the "for the people" part of the Gettysburg Address was lost long before it was even said.

I'll be the first to say that American politics are corrupt. But it's not just an American problem. It's a problem with bureaucracy.

• Brohoof 2

5 minutes ago, TwilySparky said:

I'll be the first to say that American politics are corrupt. But it's not just an American problem. It's a problem with bureaucracy.

Unfortunately, smaller government means fewer people doing more things, making more mistakes, being more autocratic and generally not being as capable of doing a good job as a larger group.

• Brohoof 2

I just want to point out, that not a single member of the United States Congress is on "Obamacare". If that doesn't throw up red flags, lights flashing and sirens blaring, then I don't know what will..

9 minutes ago, Olly said:

e92e3800312271d2001c87191c06e1fb.jpg

The healthcare won't get better any time soon at this rate either

It'll more than likely get worse, unfortunately, thanks to the general Republican idea of lowering taxes and increasing military spending. There'll be much less money to actually allocate to it, and the gap between the healthcare those in Washington get and the healthcare we get will get bigger.

I heard that America's healthcare was bad, but after reading some replies on this thread, it really sounds awfully broken. I wouldn't wish this upon my worst enemies.

Edited by Cash In

3 minutes ago, Cash In said:

My god, I heard that America's healthcare was bad, but after reading some replies, it sounds god awfully broken. I wouldn't wish this upon my worst enemies...

Let's just say it's probably the worst thing about America, even with everything else wrong with it. It's made me think of moving to a place like Norway when I can afford it.

I've been silent on this so far because I've no experience with our healthcare system personally, but for the people who've commented here so far, it's obviously lacking.

I'd like to hear how your lives would be if it didn't exist. What would you have done or be doing now?

I'd also like to hear suggestions on how the current system could be fixed if you think it can be. What are some solutions to the underlying problems?

• 6 months later...
33 minutes ago, Nsxile said:

Yeah... I heard it was ridiculously expensive and highly unaffordable.

It is. So much so my family can't afford to even have health insurance so we've been going without it for years now. But then they punish us for not taking it by making us pay some astronomical annual fee. 

• Brohoof 1