Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Takara pony reference?

ManaMinori

So, it's pretty clear that either the writers or Hasbro HQ is no stranger to g1 references in g4. FiM is littered with them. We've seen throwbacks to Scorpan on more than one occasion, Tirek, Gusty (the Great), (General) Firefly, and the comics too have g1 cameos and references with g1 baby ponies, and Flutter Valley/ Queen Bumble. Heck, some of the main characters of g4, Applejack and Spike were characters straight out of g1, in fact! Soooooo, do you guys think we might get future reference....perhaps along the line of something Japanese and MLP, since they've apparently been picking up interest with MLP in Japan, with 3rd party Japanese figures and comic books? I'm talking references to the g1 Japan exclusive Takara ponies, Milky and Popo

http://www.mylittlewiki.org/wiki/Japan

The way I think they could do this is by introducing Tokara ponies as a sub-species. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokara_horse

Their names sound similar enough, and actually, this might've been what inspired the Takara Japan MLP toys. Interestingly enough, like the fate of its toy counterpart, the rl Tokara seems to be no longer in demand as a plow horse on the Tokaras or the mainland and has limited utility as a riding horse; therefore, finding a practical use for the Tokara horse is a problem which will affect its future protection. It'd be interesting if Hasbro decided to bring attention to this, and use the Tokara breed as a g1 throwback reference to the Takara ponies.

They've already introduced the Kirin which mythologically appears all across east Asia, including Japan.

It's a shame to see the decline of a horse breed but this is the case for horses world wide in developing countries. A majority of people don't want to eat them, racing them can be seen as cruel, and with the use of tractors they serve no practical use. We keep them around for carriages and riding camps, a few farms for agritourism, but this is all for show. They're beautiful creatures with little place in this modern world. I'm all for keeping them around but they've essentially been reduced to being a half ton pet which is awful costly.

2 hours ago, SharpWit said:

They've already introduced the Kirin which mythologically appears all across east Asia, including Japan.

It's a shame to see the decline of a horse breed but this is the case for horses world wide in developing countries. A majority of people don't want to eat them, racing them can be seen as cruel, and with the use of tractors they serve no practical use. We keep them around for carriages and riding camps, a few farms for agritourism, but this is all for show. They're beautiful creatures with little place in this modern world. I'm all for keeping them around but they've essentially been reduced to being a half ton pet which is awful costly.

everything else under the sun can be Greek myth based, but god forbid there be two Asian based creatures in the same room, huh? Nevermind that one's a mythological creature, and one isn't.

if you make the argument that horses/ ponies a farm animal is going the way of the dodo due to technology in the farming industry, then we might as well group all the ponies / horses together in that case. Why have any of them around other than circus entertainment or pets?

3 minutes ago, Nightmare Muffin said:

everything else under the sun can be Greek myth based, but god forbid there be two Asian based creatures in the same room, huh? Nevermind that one's a mythological creature, and one isn't.

MLP currently has many sentient creatures that I believe are in need of further exploring. I don't see how adding another to that list is beneficial. There's nothing wrong with having a diverse set of creatures from around the world, mythological or otherwise, but unless it serves a purpose, I don't think it should be done.

11 minutes ago, Nightmare Muffin said:

if you make the argument that horses/ ponies a farm animal is going the way of the dodo due to technology in the farming industry, then we might as well group all the ponies / horses together in that case. Why have any of them around other than circus entertainment or pets?

That's exactly what I'm saying?

I have a neighbor with many pets. There's a cat and a rabbit. Both small, quite easy to care for. They're soft, cuddly, great little companions. They also have chickens and ducks. Not quite as easy to care for and they can be rather messy. But you get plenty of eggs out of it. And finally they have a miniature donkey. It does save them from having to mow the backyard I think, but they still have to purchase hay and grain for it, and should it have any injury ever then the clinic bill I expect will be quite high. It requires a good deal of space, special treatment, and although the waste isn't so bad, there's a lot of it and it becomes tiresome to pick up after. They love it, I love it, and I'm proud that they've taken on the task of caring for something that can be difficult, but it's not a practical pet for most people, so a decline is to be expected if they can't be used in a professional setting. This is the case for all Equines.

On 11/18/2018 at 4:11 PM, SharpWit said:

MLP currently has many sentient creatures that I believe are in need of further exploring. I don't see how adding another to that list is beneficial. There's nothing wrong with having a diverse set of creatures from around the world, mythological or otherwise, but unless it serves a purpose, I don't think it should be done.

That's exactly what I'm saying?

I have a neighbor with many pets. There's a cat and a rabbit. Both small, quite easy to care for. They're soft, cuddly, great little companions. They also have chickens and ducks. Not quite as easy to care for and they can be rather messy. But you get plenty of eggs out of it. And finally they have a miniature donkey. It does save them from having to mow the backyard I think, but they still have to purchase hay and grain for it, and should it have any injury ever then the clinic bill I expect will be quite high. It requires a good deal of space, special treatment, and although the waste isn't so bad, there's a lot of it and it becomes tiresome to pick up after. They love it, I love it, and I'm proud that they've taken on the task of caring for something that can be difficult, but it's not a practical pet for most people, so a decline is to be expected if they can't be used in a professional setting. This is the case for all Equines.

what I was saying is that if that is the case, then the show itself is in jeopardy, as interest in horses as pets wanes. Especially for little girls.

1 hour ago, Nightmare Muffin said:

what I was saying is that if that is the case, then the show itself is in jeopardy, as interest in horses as pets wanes. Especially for little girls.

Not really. They've adapted by giving the characters depth and managing to expand their audience from little girls to people from all walks of life.

Horse will always be around, there just won't be a lot of them. Just think about how often you would have seen horses 200 or even just 100 years ago compared to today.