Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Anypony else find the Kirin reaction offensive?

Midnight Solace

Uh...no. It's just the current replacement for the Maud Pie reaction, which meant the same thing, a post that just leaves you staring at it blankly confused on what to make of it. :maud: We've always had other "negative" brohoofs like "Shocked" and "Sad" that were used to show disapproval for someone's content so I can't help but find it silly to just get mad at that one and not the others. If people are actually going out of their way to follow your posts just to hit them with as many negative brohoofs as they can as a way of circlejerking, that I understand being upset over and I think that kind of behavior would deserve to be addressed. Otherwise, I think this is just a case of you having a right to voice your opinion but people having the right to react to it how they want to. :kindness:

7 minutes ago, Usager said:

For me is a "???" Kind of reaction. I dont understand something? Boom adorable kirin in your post

Never had a thing for Kirins though. And to me it looks more like of a... Wait, i'll just post it here...

Image result for disgusted face girl

You know, a disgusted face. I know it looks totally different but that's how I look at it. The Kirin reaction is a more serious version of this face.

5 hours ago, SharpWit said:

Spot on!

It's a concerned sort of really. One mostly of dissapointment. It's a good way of cordially saying you don't agree with a statement, or as was previously said, "not amused". It's great for using as an end or beginning note to an argument or that you're tired of someone's behavior which may be simply overreactive or trollish.

5 hours ago, Midnight Solace said:

@SharpWit Has put what I've been trying to say into words. Sometimes I find it hard to explain my feelings. 

Oh come on now. Big stretch. The Kirin did not behave that way because they were tired of something, or because they disagreed with someone else or they were disappointed or anything negative at all. It is nothing more than an expression of confusion or curiosity - it's totally harmless on its own. The kirin reacted that way because they couldn't talk. It was a cute scene! It wasn't negative at all. The reaction is a cute way of saying you don't understand or you are 'speechless'.

9 minutes ago, Midnight Solace said:

Never had a thing for Kirins though. And to me it looks more like of a... Wait, i'll just post it here...

You know, a disgusted face. I know it looks totally different but that's how I look at it. The Kirin reaction is a more serious version of this face.

Then you are simply wrong because that is NOT why they used the expression. You are twisting the facts.

18 minutes ago, Midnight Solace said:

Make a face comparison in first place.

11 minutes ago, Mirage said:

Then you are simply wrong because that is NOT why they used the expression. You are twisting the facts.

They were silenced, so they did not have the ability to make that face. But deep down, they were disgusted at how AJ and Flutters fought.

Just now, Midnight Solace said:

They did not understand and yet, tried to silence AJ and Flutters. That was a bad thing, wasn't it?

They tried to silence AJ and flutters because they were arguing and mad at each other. What they understood was that arguing led to fighting, which led to their village burning down. According to Autumn Blaze, it was a 'lesson they never learned'. That is, they didn't understand that you have to take the bad with the good...you can't live in peace and happiness by trying to erase all bad things...it's not real. trying to control others just leads to more things that make you suffer. They had to learn to deal with pain. We all do.

1 minute ago, Midnight Solace said:

They were silenced, so they did not have the ability to make that face. But deep down, they were disgusted at how AJ and Flutters fought.

That is not why they cocked their heads...maybe you need to watch that episode again!

How is it offensive? I think you might just be a bit overly sensitive about this. Yes, most people use the "..." emote to disagree with you but it's not offensive. That would be ridiculous.

• Brohoof 2

1 minute ago, ~Dusky~ said:

I fail to see how it's in any way offensive...

I usually use it on posts that either don't make sense or posts that are just like "what's the actual purpose?"

*sigh* like I said before; 

9 hours ago, Midnight Solace said:

To me, this is a "really:mlp_confused:" reaction.

But this is like a "really bitchkirin.thumb.png.313ff6c649fdf3401629da79c11bcb79.png " reaction.

There's a difference.

18 minutes ago, Mirage said:

They had to learn to deal with pain. We all do.

If you actually knew me, I can't deal with pain that just keeps happening over and over again. That only happened ro the Kirin once. The reaction however...

9 hours ago, Midnight Solace said:

To me, this is a "really:mlp_confused:" reaction.

But this is like a "really bitchkirin.thumb.png.313ff6c649fdf3401629da79c11bcb79.png " reaction.

There's a difference.

That's only a difference in your interpretation of what it means and nothing else. Really it doesn't sound like there's much substance to your argument here.

2 minutes ago, Midnight Solace said:

If you actually knew me, I can't deal with pain that just keeps happening over and over again. That only happened ro the Kirin once. The reaction however...

Really think you are making a bigger deal of this than it needs to be.

• Brohoof 2

1 minute ago, Midnight Solace said:

Yes you can. You cannot control other people, but you can control yourself.

We get that you don't like the reaction. Okay, that is fine. But it isn't fair to judge others for using it.

1 minute ago, TwilySparky said:

How is it offensive? I think you might just be a bit overly sensitive about this. Yes, most people use the "..." emote to disagree with you but it's not offensive. That would be ridiculous.

For example; I post a status update on how my life sucks. Then somepony gives you that "..." reaction. How would you feel? I would feel like nopony cared.

1 minute ago, ~Dusky~ said:

That's only a difference in your interpretation of what it means and nothing else. Really it doesn't sound like there's much substance to your argument here.

This is my opinion. Do I not have the freedom to express myself? Even @SharpWit agreed that is more of a disappointed / disgusted look.

For example; I post a status update on how my life sucks. Then somepony gives you that "..." reaction. How would you feel? I would feel like nopony cared.

That's not how that works. I just really think you are thinking too much about this. You shouldn't be tearing yourself apart because of a picture of a kirin. :twi:

• Brohoof 1

2 minutes ago, Midnight Solace said:

This is my opinion. Do I not have the freedom to express myself? Even @SharpWit agreed that is more of a disappointed / disgusted look.

I frankly wouldn't really care. If they don't care about me, what does it matter? You're making mountains out of molehills here.

Even if it is your opinion, you're doing very little to back it up. Which is kind of important when you're trying to justify it. Let's say somebody just posts a thread in the Debate Symposium stating that they're Communist, and just says that in the thread. Would you really expect people to not want to understand why they would think that way? That may be a more extreme example but it's precisely the same principle.

8 minutes ago, Midnight Solace said:

I think personal problems should be spoken in private with someone who care about you.

I dont know, maybe there are people with worse problems?

About the kirin. Is not offensive, stop caring.

Edited by Usager
  • Brohoof 1

11 minutes ago, Midnight Solace said:

1) When someone declares their life sucks, others have little to work with here. This could be fishing for sympathy or it could be a genuine cry for help. In either case, their responses could be twisted for the worst. So frankly, it's quite risky to approach someone who is expressing themselves in a negative way. So Kirin reaction could simply be a way for someone to indicate they are confused, or even sympathetic but unable to say more.

2) SharpWit is my bud, but he's wrong on this.

3) If you have the freedom of expression then so do others. This necessarily means you will have to put up with expressions and opinions you don't like.

• Brohoof 6

15 minutes ago, TwilySparky said:

That's not how that works. I just really think you are thinking too much about this. You shouldn't be tearing yourself apart because of a picture of a kirin. :twi:

I just find it offensive. If I expressed myself, (Which I am, by the way) I would feel rejected if someone sent me a Kirin. (Which they are, right now) After getting the confidence to finally speak out.

12 minutes ago, ~Dusky~ said:

I frankly wouldn't really care. If they don't care about me, what does it matter? You're making mountains out of molehills here.

Even if it is your opinion, you're doing very little to back it up. Which is kind of important when you're trying to justify it. Let's say somebody just posts a thread in the Debate Symposium stating that they're Communist, and just says that in the thread. Would you really expect people to not want to understand why they would think that way? That may be a more extreme example but it's precisely the same principle.

I am posting this because I want to know if ponies feel the same way. I do not post stuff for no reason. And I did have something to back it up. It looks different like I said before. The Kirin reaction looks dissapointed/disagreed but however this face: :mlp_confused: Is concerned or curious. I found it better than the Kirin reaction.

12 minutes ago, Usager said:

I think personal problems should be spoken in private with someone who care about you.

I dont know, maybe there are people with worse problems?

About the kirin. Is not offensive, stop caring.

That's the problem. Nopony does care about me until I got back onto the forums. That's why I am expressing myself here.

19 minutes ago, Mirage said:

Yes you can. You cannot control other people, but you can control yourself.

We get that you don't like the reaction. Okay, that is fine. But it isn't fair to judge others for using it.

I never judged anypony. In fact, you all judged me for my opinion. Just look at my signature: Those who judge will never understand, and those who understand will never judge.

8 minutes ago, Mirage said:

1) When someone declares their life sucks, others have little to work with here. This could be fishing for sympathy or it could be a genuine cry for help. In either case, their responses could be twisted for the worst. So frankly, it's quite risky to approach someone who is expressing themselves in a negative way. So Kirin reaction could simply be a way for someone to indicate they are confused, or even sympathetic but unable to say more.

The Kirin face does not look confused. It looks disappointed. This is confused: :mlp_confused:

And please stop it with the Kirin reactions, I already told all of you that I found it offensive.

I am posting this because I want to know if ponies feel the same way. I do not post stuff for no reason.

And I did have something to back it up. It looks different like I said before. The Kirin reaction looks dissapointed/disagreed but however this face: :mlp_confused: Is concerned or curious. I found it better than the Kirin reaction.

I'm starting to have a hard time believing that.

You can't really use an opinion to back up an opinion. It doesn't really work like that... :dry: 

• Brohoof 1

10 hours ago, Midnight Solace said:

Cause I do. Don't know if it's just me, but it kinda looks like a "dafuq you talkin about" thing. I actually get pissed off when somepony gives me it. Does anypony else feel me? What is it actually meant to represent anyway?

Maybe the emote is used to signal curiosity, or a cute way of saying "go on..".

Edited by Humanity Is Good

5 minutes ago, ~Dusky~ said:

I'm starting to have a hard time believing that.

You can't really use an opinion to back up an opinion. It doesn't really work like that... :dry: 

If you can't believe it, it means you don't understand. And I did not use an opinion to back up my opinion. Just look at all the previous posts. :bea:

Edited by Midnight Solace