Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

private A Cultural Exchange 1x1 with DwhitetheGamer

Illiad Easle

@Illiad Easle

"Hmm," he thought for a moment before speaking.  "If I remember correctly, he said, and I quote: 'I am a young adult pegasus from the Children of the Night colony on Archback Mountain. I have a light blue coat with a two tone blond mane and tails.  My mark is a straight wing on the wind, representing my talent in flight and gliding.'  Do you know of anypony who matches that description?"  He looked a little worried that this was going to be a longer search than usual if she didn't know the Wind Surfer he was describing.

@DwhitetheGamer

A surprising smirk came to Miss. Gleeful's face as she chuckled. "Oh, I know Tails alright." She snapped the binder closed before returning it to its place. "I went to school with him back in the day, before he moved inward." She chuckled again, "Oh we were merciless, but that's how foals are no? Make fun of those that don't fit in?" She sighed, "Haven't heard from him since, and I hardly think he'd even want to talk to me or any of us now."

She sighed, but the smile didn't leave her face.

"Ah well, you'll have to check higher up the mountain, or on the inward." She shrugged, "Honestly he could be anywhere on this mountain, if you're doing a cultural exchange with him I'm surprised he didn't give you his address, that featherbrain."

@Illiad Easle

"Tails?" Was the first thing that came out of Copper's mouth when she spoke.  Who was this Tails fellow?  He certainly didn't remember a pony named Tails, but then he nodded and said, "Oh," after realizing it was Wind Surfer.  The Earth Pony smiled and continued.  "Would you kindly tell me the directions to the inward?  I want to hurry as quickly as possible to meet... uh... Tails and start this Exchange."

@DwhitetheGamer

Miss. Gleeful rolled her eyes, "You really aren't from around here are you? Well, along just about any of the major roads there are signs pointing to the inward, that's what we call the area inside the mountain. Though the inward is just about as complex and densely populated as the rest of the mountain. But I suppose unless he left you some idea as to where to get in touch with him, you'll be searching for quite some time before you find him."

• Brohoof 1

@Illiad Easle

"I'm definitely not from around here," he smiled at her, "more like a couple hundred miles away in Ponyville, Equestria.  That being said, thank you for telling me.  I'm headed off then."  He trotted out of the School and back to the main highway, keeping the usual trot he had when he first went around the scene.

Image result for spongebob later time card

Copper made it to the inward of the Archback Mountain.  She did tell him the inward was as dense as heavily populated as outside and from the looks of the species gathered, it didn't disappoint.  Despite that, he kept his usual trot, looking around for Wind Surfer, and avoiding getting into trouble.

@DwhitetheGamer

As he quickly discovered, the inward wasn't just a large hollowed out section of the mountain, but rather a series of mined out pockets that dotted the whole eastern face of the mountain, each one connected to its neighbors, but no one separated by less than five meters of solid rock, with the exception of the connecting tunnels. Each section of the inward had about the population of Ponyville, and seemed to have that same small town dynamic, though to a limited extent.

Needless to say, it would be quite some time to try and find him this way. And that's not to say he hadn't encountered a few false leads, it seemed every section had at least one by that name, though none went by Tails.

Each time he brought up the nickname he was directed to try another section of the inward, generally they were pointing him further up the mountain, or to try the exterior again.

In two hours he had only cleared ten of what he learned was over a thousand different sections of the inward. At this rate it would take just over a full week to search them all. There had to be a better way?

All this was commented to him by a particularly knowledgable colt who went by Dats, who had taken it upon himself to help Copper out in his quest as 'he didn't have anything better to do.'

"So, you sure he didn't give you some way to find him? Didn't organize somewhere to meet up?" The colt looked over inquisitively as they walked across one of the stone pillars that connected the far walls of the inward section they were in.

• Brohoof 1

@Illiad Easle

HOLY HELL that was an extremely rough two hours for Copper.  It was tiresome enough to learn that there were so many Wind Surfers, none of which with the nickname Tails currently, but there was also literally a thousand different sections, which if he calculated right would be more than the entire country of Equestria.  That was more than enough to burn him out entirely, at least until he met the colt who went by the name Dats.  He hoped to Celestia that this would be the way for him to find Tails.

"That was partly my fault," he replied to Dats as he followed the colt around the ginormous place.  He actually realized that he didn't ask for an address.  "I didn't ask for a specific location to find him.  If anything, he would've called up a search party, but I don't know if this place truly cares that much to find one single pony.  Not that I mind much, because I don't know the inward that much except for the 1000 sections that I'm gonna have to go through.  Watch it be the very last section, I'm willing to put five bits on it."  He couldn't help but laugh at the joke, but then it turned into a cringe-like sound since he was thinking about it.

"I REALLY hope that I don't have to go through all of the 1000 sections," he added to Dats.  "I'll be praying to Princess Celestia that I don't."

@DwhitetheGamer

(Total population of the mountain is just over 2 million, the inward houses about a million of that. Equestria is estimated to have over 4 million inhabitants)

Dats looked skeptical at Coppers comment, "Do ponies in Equestria really worship the princess? I mean praying to her, seriously?"

He chuckled, "Well, if you were writing him you should at least have his mailing address... that would narrow down at least what section of the mountain he's in!"

If Copper happened to have one of the envelopes with him, or remembered from writing the P.O. box number as many times as he had, he would have the address of P.O. Box 2113-Wind

Dats would recognize the box number as belonging to the 3rd sector of the sunset side of the mountain, while they were on the sunrise side right now, it would take likely about four hours walking to get there, then the search could begin anew. Though Dats would not be following as he is not to leave the area or his mother would worry.

If however he didn't have the envelope or a memory of the P.O. box, he would just have to keep searching.

• Brohoof 1

@Illiad Easle

The mention of the mailing address snapped into Copper's brain and he quickly scrambled in his saddlebags to find one of the letters.  "I actually forgot about that!" he said to Dats.  He found it, remembering that he was supposed to use it to locate the house itself.  "Let's see... PO Box 2113-Wind.  I was supposed to keep one in case I ran into somepony like you."

@DwhitetheGamer

Dats sighed and rolled his eyes, "I know where that is, but I can't go that far without mother worrying." He pointed up the mountain. "You're looking for section 113 of the sunset side of the mountain. It would take me a good seven hours to get there on a good day, and with all the traffic on the mountain," he shuddered, "May the mountain guide you friend."

With that Dats started walking back to where Copper had found him originally. It looked like he still had quite a ways to go, and it seemed that more creatures were starting to crowd the pathways, by the smell of things it seemed like lunchtime.

(If he doesn't do anything else, his speed offset by the traffic allows him to reach the sunset side in about 4-5 hours of walking.)

• Brohoof 1

@Illiad Easle

He had to assume that was a few hours of walking, in which thankfully he had brought a few bits with him for lunch time.  He set off in his usual trot, deciding to grab a bite at the nearest food place.  Once he entered the place he ordered himself a sunflower sandwich if available, if there wasn't he would go with the next best thing on the menu.

• 2 weeks later...

@DwhitetheGamer

The first place he found looked to be a little shop called Windy's which advertised a variety of salads and sandwiches. It wasn't too crowded inside and he was able to place his order and get his food without too much difficulty, outside of a small discussion between the cashier and the manager as to what exchange rate they could give bits to the local currency. While the price had initially looked very cheap it seemed bits weren't so valuable here, resulting in his food costing a bit more than it did back home, though still well within his budget.

@Illiad Easle

And even then he had a nice amount of bits for a few more lunches and dinners should he choose to get more in the future.  Eventually he sat down at a vacant table and ate his lunch, which was a nice salad that was enough to get through the next few hours.

After eating, he told the cashier to thank the manager for such a good place to have food in, and he would most definitely come back if he traveled here again.  He then set off on his journey to Wind "Tails" Surfer's house.  If he remembered correctly Dats said it took him seven total hours to reach there on a good day, but with him it should take 2-4 keep a good enough trot to where he wouldn't get in trouble but was quick enough to get through traffic.

• Brohoof 1

@DwhitetheGamer

It had only taken just over three hours, but he had finally arrived at the designated sector of the interior. He had had to go back to the surface to switch sides of the mountain, but he had finally arrived at the section that supposedly belonged to the Wind Surfer he had been communicating with.

The sections he had walked through on this side were very different from the ones on the other side of the mountain, they seemed smaller, or rather less populated, with a number of either abandoned or unfinished areas as he went. It actually wouldn't be too hard to find Wind Surfer now, given their looked to be only a few dozen homes in this sector.

He had made it to the post office box, a rather dejected looking pegasus was staring into an empty post office box.

• Brohoof 1

Looking at the dejected pony made Copper feel bad for them.  He always hated seeing ponies, or any other kind of species, like this, so he does his best to cheer them up.  He walked to the Pegasus and patted their shoulder.  "Hey," he said in a soft and calming tone.  "You okay?  Did something happen to you?"

If it was Wind Surfer, he would notice that Copper had his Saddlebags, and one side had the Equestrian symbol on it.  The Earth Pony really hoped there was something he could do to help.

@DwhitetheGamer

The pegasus clearly had either not seen Copper approach, and/or had not anticipated being touched. The pegasus' wings shot out, pushing Copper back just enough for the pegasus to thrust himself into the air. "Gah!"

The pegasus remained hovering a good distance above Copper, taking a few deep, calming, breaths as he kept his eyes on the strange stallion who had touched him, "Iiiiiiiit's n n n n not nice to sneak up like that dude." By the shakiness of his words he was clearly still unsettled. He quickly looked around the area, and found them alone, which seemed to calm him down a bit, but not much. The sound of hooves came from the entrance Copper had come through, and the pegasus zoomed off on the other direction, performing a sidelong roll as he turned a corner and out of sight.

Soon enough the hoofsteps revealed an Earth pony dressed somewhat formally, wearing goggles and a sweater. He simply nodded to Copper as he moved to check the P.O. box himself.

Whoever the last pegasus was, they had left their box open.

The Earth pony closed the box in addition to his own as he left.

The pegasus' box was marked Wind.

@Illiad Easle

"...Well that was a failure," Copper sighed as he shook his head.  He saw his fellow Earth Pony close both boxes before looking at the Pegasus's name.  "Wind..." he said to himself.  "Great.  I don't think I'll ever get this Cultural Exchange with Tails done now," he said out loud as he sat down.  He lowkey hoped Tails would be able to hear.  If not, he would be forced to leave.

@DwhitetheGamer

The Earth pony looked at Copper curiously, "He told you that name? I guess he finally has gotten over it then." The pony chuckled, "But that brings up the question of what you're doing here now, as much as he commented to me you weren't expected for another day or two at the earliest." He sat down next to Copper, "If I had to guess, he was likely looking for your letter just now, he was hoping as much at least, that it would come today."

He laughed, "But what's a grumpy old stallion know eh?" He moved to talk a bit more hushed, "But between you and me, unless he tells you specifically that it's okay, don't call him Tails. he hated it ever since he was old enough to see it was different," The older stallion looked nostalgic, "Heh, he even tried to cut one of them off once. It was awful then, but funny now, to look back on it."

@Illiad Easle

The blue pony was surprised to see this elder pony know about him.  He gave a look that would tell the old stallion he was thrown off.  "Oh, he told you, huh?" he asked.  "Well, yeah, I didn't take the train as he expected me to.  I flew my way here, and if you wanna know how, it's thanks to my Amulet."  He pointed to it, which was around his neck.

"If you could call somepony to tell Wind that I'm here that would be much appreciated," he continued.  "Also tell them to tell him that I said sorry for scaring him so badly."

• Brohoof 1

@DwhitetheGamer

The stallion chuckled at that, "Oh, that wasn't my Wind. Did you see two tails on him? They're not subtle." He moved to stand, "Ifn you want to meet Wind then, you've got just a little bit more walking to do." He pointed out one of the doorways in the wall of the cavern, nearest to the entrance they had both come from, "That's his house. Well, where he lives with his brother." He started to walk off in the other direction before he paused, "Oh, and if my sons give you any trouble, let me know." With that he set off in the direction the first pegasus had flown off in.

@Illiad Easle

"So many Wind Surfers..." Copper thought as he saw the old Stallion go away.  He sighed, but thankfully it was a sigh of content.  At least he knew now where Tails would be.  He trotted over to the house that the stallion pointed to and went on the front porch.  Once inside he knocked casually on the door, or rang the doorbell if there was one, and backed up a little, waiting for somepony to answer whether it be Wind or his brother.

@DwhitetheGamer

It didn't really look like much of a house from the outside, more like a wooden door set directly into the side of the cave wall. Nonetheless, it wasn't long before a nerdy looking unicorn in a sweater opened the door, he had one eyebrow raised over his half moon glasses, teal eyes peering out against the slate grey coat as if to ask what Copper was doing at his door.

Meanwhile...

Wind Surfer had been out on the surface on a sort of grocery/parts run for his brother, after an hour of work he finally had the full list complete and was on his way back to the house. He idly wondered if his exchange partner had written him back yet, hoping beyond hope that a response would be waiting for him in the mail. Nonetheless, he had to put the groceries away first, and that meant arriving home. Which, given the good updraft the mountain almost always had, wouldn't take long at all.

• Brohoof 1

@Illiad Easle

"Hello," the blue Earth Pony said to the unicorn as he sighed contently.  "I'm looking for a Wind Surfer, and if the description is correct he has a light blue coat with a two tone blond mane and tails, and the cutie mark is a straight wing on the wind, representing his talent in flight and gliding.  I've been told to come to this house because that's where he lives."

@DwhitetheGamer

The unicorn at the door looked a mix of surprised and confused at Copper's words, "Oh? We weren't expecting you for at least a few more days." He shrugged as he opened the door a bit more to let Copper in, "He'll be along shortly, he had some errands to run." The unicorn moved to lead Copper inside, the house was a bit disorganized, but not too bad. Through the front door was a sort of hallway which opened up on the left to a somewhat small living room connected to a decently sized kitchen. The unicorn lifted some papers off the couch to give Copper a place to sit, "Forgive the mess, again we weren't expecting you to arrive so soon."

@Illiad Easle

"It's all right, sir," the Earth Pony replied as he sat down where the unicorn made him room.  "It's partially my fault because I should've mentioned that I would be here earlier than you'd expect."  He sighed contently, taking off his Amulet and putting it in his saddlebag.  "So what's your name?  I think you know me as Copper Strikes, right?"