Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Ponies, complex relationships, and relatability.

ManaMinori

Spoiler

For many years, I have been enamored with a g4 toyline exclusive pony named Star Dreams. I've requested art of her, made fanthreads, fanfics, fanart of my own, theories and headcanons, admire her in toy form....and I could never quite understand what drew me to this little filly...or perhaps I did, but just didn't want to come to the uncomfortable realization that I knew all along. What drew me to characters like Rarity and Fluttershy was their relatable aspects. So too, I realized, only recently, was I starstruck with Star Dreams. 

First off, she is a blank flank. There aren't many ponies who lack cutie marks (in the toyline, at least)  Being a blank flank usually means that the pony is still attempting to figure out their unique talent, where they can fit into and contribute to society. 

There's the fact that Star Dreams is still a filly, a child. Quite often, I feel the same...liking cute and fluffy things that kids do, like pastel ponies...still carrying some naivete regarding certain things, embarrassing as it is.

I couldn't figure out (or again, perhaps I was in denial all along) why I was intent on crafting backstories for this obscure toyline pony where she was pretty much always tied to Princess Luna in some way, or considered an anomaly- a wayward and misplaced pony that felt she didn't fit in anywhere, even when magical phenomena sent her into other generations..

until I realized that I was shaping her to be a mini Luna...a pony who felt unappreciated by society and still had difficulties fitting in once she had been reformed....a pony that strugled with combating her inner demons and fell to them...a pony that still struggles to communicate with those close to her...a pony who feels at home in the cold darkness,  but is also beautiful, and shines like a star within that element.  This was what I was making this toyline pony to be,  because it was these things that I saw and despised within myself. It was these unfavorable aspects that that I saw in Luna and myself, and gave to this toyline pony, Star Dreams, and strangely enough, made me all the more fond of her. 

What's more, before getting into FiM, I never thought that a pastel pony show could make me evaluate myself in such a way. It's both enlightening and uncomfortable,  really. 

Discussion:

So have you guys ever analyzed why you like and are drawn to the pony characters? Has your preference for a certain character revealed aspects of yourself that may be uncomfortable to you, or that you would prefer to change? 

• Brohoof 4

3 hours ago, Nightmare Muffin said:

What's more, before getting into FiM, I never thought that a pastel pony show could make me evaluate myself in such a way. It's both enlightening and uncomfortable,  really. 

I relate to Luna the most. Socially awkward, unpopular interests, etc. I enjoy being alone, but not completely alone. I'm also very interested in dreams and the mysterious nature of the night sky.

I'm definitely with your quote above. When I first started getting into the show, I watched slews of videos about bronies because I didn't understand why I liked the show so much. After thinking and examining things, I found that, basically, the show is well written and animated, has great music and is over all a very well done and well thought out show. It's funny, it's sad - it can bring out everything a good drama and comedy can do.

9 hours ago, Mirage said:

I relate to Luna the most. Socially awkward, unpopular interests, etc. I enjoy being alone, but not completely alone. I'm also very interested in dreams and the mysterious nature of the night sky.

I'm definitely with your quote above. When I first started getting into the show, I watched slews of videos about bronies because I didn't understand why I liked the show so much. After thinking and examining things, I found that, basically, the show is well written and animated, has great music and is over all a very well done and well thought out show. It's funny, it's sad - it can bring out everything a good drama and comedy can do.

Honestly, I think a lot of fans could say that they like and relate to Luna for the same reasons, to varying degrees

• Brohoof 1

Like @Mirage, I too agree with the above quote. Watching the show has really helped me discover thing about myself I didn't know before watching the show. 

• Brohoof 1