Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

About Cozy Glow...

heavens-champion

I have a small question about Cozy Glow: Why make her a little girl? After a corrupted alicorn princess, a spirit of chaos and disharmony, an evil queen of a race of shapeshifters, a demonic unicorn king, evil killer plants that were planted long ago by a spirit of chaos and disharmony, a power-hungry, magic devouring centaur, a Cutie Mark-hating unicorn mare who enslaved an entire village and created multiple bad futures, a unicorn who became a shadow monster that almost plunged the world into darkness, and the crazed king of a ruthless air fleet and his unicorn second-in-command, an evil little girl is kind of a step down, don't ya think? Sure, she collaborated with Tirek, nearly got non-flying creatures killed when their magic failed during their trip to Cloudsdale, tricked Twilight and her friends into trapping themselves in Tartarus, tried to send Equestria's magic to another dimension along with Starlight and the Student Six, declared herself Empress of Friendship, betrayed Chancellor Neighsay, trapped the Cutie Mark Crusaders in a supply closet, just so she could rule Equestria, but still, a little filly doing all of that stuff is a little... bizarre. Of course, you can argue with, Darla Dimple from Cats Don't Dance and Princess Morbucks were little girls, but the thing is, both were more comical villains (Darla Dimple's a hot-tempered actress obsessed with fame who is implied to be much older than she appeared, and Princess Morbucks was a spoiled little rich girl with enough money to afford high-tech weapons and gadgets). But I'm rambling. So, why the step down?

Edited by heavens-champion
  • Brohoof 1

Cozy Glow is a subversion of the kind of villain we've come to expect from the show. No, by subversion, I don't mean the Rian Johnson kind, thankfully, as child villains being used to throw off what you normally expect have been done plenty of times before. The reason it's so effective of a subversion in the case of MLP is because it's a show for little girls casting a little girl as a villain. Cozy Glow's choice to stray off the path of good and use everything she's been taught for evil can be seen as a metaphor for the young girls watching at home not applying the messages of love and virtue the show teaches them to their lives and growing up to only view being nice as a way to manipulate others into getting what they want. It also further shows that the villains of MLP are not born evil but choose evil out of their own free will, and that is the importance of Cozy Glow to the show. ;) 

• Brohoof 4

Boring? We've had how many powerful magic ponies with tragic pasts? I fail to see a problem with evil lolis. Villain diversity is good. If they treat this last finale as her debut and not an overture to her inevitable redemption, then she will be able to become a far better villain than any powerful horned pony ever was. After all, she has learned quite a lot about friendship and rejected it all. That's the first step in countering bullshit rainbow magic.

P.S: evil lolis can be serious sauce too-desu

Spoiler

• Brohoof 2

Boring?... Cozy Glow is in the running for the best villain the show has. She actually took the idea of the power of friendship and warped it into her own psychotic thing. She also beat everyone by just playing them. 

Edited by Kadeda
  • Brohoof 2

I think Cozy Glow is the perfect villain to finish this series. Afterall, this series is for little girls, make a villain a little girl sound right to me.  It make sense for THIS show to have this kind of villain. You think Cozy Glow is step down? In my opinion, Storm King is a step down, Shadow Pony is a step down (i refer the shadow, not Stygian himself), any villain in EQG after Legend is a big step down. Cozy Glow is the only villain who make me feel excited to watch for a very long time after S5 premiere.

I hope they dont reform her...

• Brohoof 2

Cozy Glow was a change from the overuse of redemption villains and the specific ones with pasts overreacting to minor things. For once, a villain that tells Twilight to shove it on the redemption or more to the point she's beyond the friendship fixes all solution. I'm going with that they've overplayed their favorite villain trope and needed to change it up.

• Brohoof 1

I would imagine that there is an as-yet unrevealed story to be told for her,

and making her a child both is fresh for the show and makes it easier to paint her in a sympathetic light later.

It is headcanon-y, but I've a feeling there's a reason that her parents weren't seen or even spoken of yet.

I bet they've got something to do with her lifepath and ideology and will play a role later, which only really works with a kid.

It's because, as a little girl, she seems innocent and harmless. Because she's just a cute little girl, everyone around her underestimates her, and it complements her apparent helpfulness. She specifically tries to make it so nobody would suspect her of anything wrong, and the fact that she's a little girl makes that easier for her. Also, a little girl without magic being so successful in manipulating everyone around her is kinda funny, and a little girl being a power-hungry monster is downright hilarious, even if the finale takes itself relatively seriously. It's all about the irony. 

Edited by AlexanderThrond
  • Brohoof 1

17 hours ago, Kadeda said:

Boring?... Cozy Glow is in the running for the best villain the show has. She actually took the idea of the power of friendship and warped it into her own psychotic thing. She also beat everyone by just playing them. 

So? What's your point?

1 hour ago, heavens-champion said:

So? What's your point?

I just said it... Every other villain is a super powered magic guy. I gotta wonder... are you stalking me? I seen you respond to my comments all the time for some reason or another negatively.

2 minutes ago, Kadeda said:

I just said it... Every other villain is a super powered magic guy. I gotta wonder... are you stalking me? I seen you respond to my comments all the time for some reason or another negatively.

I've barely talked to you. So no, I am not stalking you. I was simply curious as to why you didn't find Cozy Glow boring.

7 hours ago, heavens-champion said:

I've barely talked to you. So no, I am not stalking you. I was simply curious as to why you didn't find Cozy Glow boring.

I'm not the person you were responding to, but I can still tell you why I think Cozy isn't boring, and it's for the exact reason you think she is. She's a cute little girl with no magical powers, no big army, not even any magic at all since she's a Pegasus. She's interesting specifically because she lacks all the power of the previous villains, she get's by purely off of manipulation and planning. On a pure power scale she's beneath all the other villains, which makes her achievements all the more impressive. Her age only adds to that, think of what she could do now, as a young, inexperienced little filly...now, think what she'd be like as a more experienced, mature and intelligent adult? She's already scary as a filly, as an adult she could be outright terrifying. She doesn't need reality warping power, or an army of love-sucking drones to be a threat, just a charming smile and some sweet words.

I don't really see her as a step-down; FAR from it. If anything she left a bigger impression on me than the Pony of Shadows and Storm King did; not to mention Wallflower Blush and Vignette Valencia. Part of that is due to her personality. I mean; she's a lunatic when it comes down to it, and how she's animated really accentuates that. Remember the "BACK OFF" and "hey there neighbor; wanna be friends?" faces? And not just that, but her confident stride when she's gloating to Starlight and her attempt at being menacing when her plan fails; it just makes for an entertaining villain.

But as others have said; she's a filly Pegasus who managed to trick the Mane 6 and had a mob turn on Neighsay and the Student 6; THAT'S an interesting concept for the series! For a series that is stereotypically seen as being for little girls now has a little girl as a major villain.

It just works!

• Brohoof 2

On 11/25/2018 at 8:22 AM, Kadeda said:

Except they beat her by stopping her from escaping. A difficult feat when stopping ponies with magic (Starlight).

41 minutes ago, heavens-champion said:

Except they beat her by stopping her from escaping. A difficult feat when stopping ponies with magic (Starlight).

Yeah... only because of deus ex machima. Cozy had won just by being smarter than everyone in the room.

(edited)
On 11/25/2018 at 10:12 PM, AlexanderThrond said:

It's because, as a little girl, she seems innocent and harmless. Because she's just a cute little girl, everyone around her underestimates her, and it complements her apparent helpfulness. She specifically tries to make it so nobody would suspect her of anything wrong, and the fact that she's a little girl makes that easier for her. Also, a little girl without magic being so successful in manipulating everyone around her is kinda funny, and a little girl being a power-hungry monster is downright hilarious, even if the finale takes itself relatively seriously. It's all about the irony. 

That's the problem. The evil little girl thing is usually done for comedy. Here, it's played dead serious.

2 hours ago, heavens-champion said:

That's the problem. The evil little girl thing is usually done for comedy. Here, it's played dead serious.

I mean, I'm the first person to complain about this show taking itself too seriously, but I don't think Cozy herself is the problem there. 

4 hours ago, Kadeda said:

Yeah... only because of deus ex machima. Cozy had won just by being smarter than everyone in the room.

Cozy didn’t win at all. Even if the Tree hadn’t saved everyone, Celestia and Luna were on their way to arrest her. The main six escaped from Tartarus. She didn’t outsmart everyone, not even close. She was just smart enough to be dangerous, but too stupid and arrogant to ever have a chance at success.

19 minutes ago, ShootingStar159 said:

Cozy didn’t win at all. Even if the Tree hadn’t saved everyone, Celestia and Luna were on their way to arrest her. The main six escaped from Tartarus. She didn’t outsmart everyone, not even close. She was just smart enough to be dangerous, but too stupid and arrogant to ever have a chance at success.

Ahh... you may have a point but... no one had magic. They were way to far from the school. It would have taken them a while to get there. She would have won.

I honestly thought she was Neighsayer's little sister, or a distant cousin. Like at first I thought they going to set up for her to help him sabotage Princess Twilight but then she would learn the friendship and then refuses to help him. But instead we got this instead.

14 minutes ago, Kadeda said:

Ahh... you may have a point but... no one had magic. They were way to far from the school. It would have taken them a while to get there. She would have won.

What does it matter that they don’t have magic? Cozy didn’t know they were coming and her plan was to take over the school and use it to make more friends than anyone. That plan is a total failure. She lost.