Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

About Cozy Glow...

heavens-champion

13 hours ago, ShootingStar159 said:

What does it matter that they don’t have magic? Cozy didn’t know they were coming and her plan was to take over the school and use it to make more friends than anyone. That plan is a total failure. She lost.

It matters because you mentioned that they were on their way back. The only reason they got there so fast was because of magic. They were just walking there before that. The only reason the plan didn't work was because the tree saved the day. Again, Cozy had won. 

15 hours ago, Kadeda said:

It matters because you mentioned that they were on their way back. The only reason they got there so fast was because of magic. They were just walking there before that. The only reason the plan didn't work was because the tree saved the day. Again, Cozy had won. 

What? No... ugh, listen. Cozy’s plan wasn’t to drain the magic from Equestria. That was just one of the steps to her plan, which was to become the “Empress of Friendship,” whatever the heck that means. It doesn’t matter how long it would take Celestia and Luna to get to the school, or how long it would take the main six to walk back. What matters is that we have three groups of people who all know the truth about Cozy and what she did. And all of them were working to stop/apprehend her. It doesn’t matter that. Cozy would have permenantly damaged Equestria, her plan is still a failure. She would never be the Empress of Friendship. She’d be forever on the run or locked in a cell.

• Brohoof 1

3 hours ago, ShootingStar159 said:

What? No... ugh, listen. Cozy’s plan wasn’t to drain the magic from Equestria. That was just one of the steps to her plan, which was to become the “Empress of Friendship,” whatever the heck that means. It doesn’t matter how long it would take Celestia and Luna to get to the school, or how long it would take the main six to walk back. What matters is that we have three groups of people who all know the truth about Cozy and what she did. And all of them were working to stop/apprehend her. It doesn’t matter that. Cozy would have permenantly damaged Equestria, her plan is still a failure. She would never be the Empress of Friendship. She’d be forever on the run or locked in a cell.

Oh... I see. You're talking about after killing the student 6. Sorry about that. Well... we don't really know what the plan was after that. She could use the magic she drained and do the same to them what she did with the kids. She probably could give herself the magic. We don't really know. I didn't mention afterwards because it's impossible to know the plan from that point. To say she would automatically fail is to project what you want to happen a bit while skipping that fact. 

Haven't seen what ya talk about. But I get the gist.

One question. Then an answer.

Is she mortal?

...Yes? If so...

Knock her ouuuut!

Look, if she's really that big enough of a threat to focus an entire season on.... then child abuse or not, she needs to be stopped right? Why I can't stand most drama in Suspense or Mystery movies. They're only mortal. Call the Police. Buckin' pop her one! 

It's why most superthreats like supervillains got flashy powers or some big shadowy organization behind them to give them enough immunity to be a foil to the superhero. It's why we can't pop one 'tween the eyes of Discord or Sombra... because it wouldn't help. We could sick whatever law organization on Chrysalis (She is/was imprisoned in the comics after all...) but she had her rights, she had an empire to look after. Even Starlight! She was a lone entity, evading detection with considerable power & time to work on it... like a Bond Villain!

...What's this "Cozy Glow" got? The ability to talk others to her side? Be a jerk about things? Big Whoop. There's somebody like that on every PTA group...

Yes. It's a step down. It's basically preying on the "well, anybeing could see things her way & be evil or whatever" except then its just a case of correcting bad intentions or warped misconceptions... something that can be done in an episode or two, but we needed it stretched over a season because its late in the game & we're losing competent writers.

If we can just spank her & tell her not to be so dadgumed mean... then kind of anticlimax, isn't it?

...and my issue isn't that it's poor writing. No, it's about how we even have to have a Big Bad or some dramatic climax at all. 

I much prefer Slice of Life. Lower stakes, y'know?

(edited)
12 hours ago, Kadeda said:

Oh... I see. You're talking about after killing the student 6. Sorry about that. Well... we don't really know what the plan was after that. She could use the magic she drained and do the same to them what she did with the kids. She probably could give herself the magic. We don't really know. I didn't mention afterwards because it's impossible to know the plan from that point. To say she would automatically fail is to project what you want to happen a bit while skipping that fact. 

What are you saying? The Cozy Glow was never planning on ruling Equestria, because she kinda was.

Edited by heavens-champion

3 hours ago, heavens-champion said:

What are you saying? The Cozy Glow was never planning on ruling Equestria, because she kinda was.

Pay attention to what I said. I never indicated that she wasn't planning on that. The problem is that statement is way to broad. We don't really know what she was going to do next to judge what would happen next. That's why I never brought it up. 

On 12/7/2018 at 11:02 AM, Widdershins said:

Haven't seen what ya talk about. But I get the gist.

One question. Then an answer.

Is she mortal?

...Yes? If so...

Knock her ouuuut!

Look, if she's really that big enough of a threat to focus an entire season on.... then child abuse or not, she needs to be stopped right? Why I can't stand most drama in Suspense or Mystery movies. They're only mortal. Call the Police. Buckin' pop her one! 

It's why most superthreats like supervillains got flashy powers or some big shadowy organization behind them to give them enough immunity to be a foil to the superhero. It's why we can't pop one 'tween the eyes of Discord or Sombra... because it wouldn't help. We could sick whatever law organization on Chrysalis (She is/was imprisoned in the comics after all...) but she had her rights, she had an empire to look after. Even Starlight! She was a lone entity, evading detection with considerable power & time to work on it... like a Bond Villain!

...What's this "Cozy Glow" got? The ability to talk others to her side? Be a jerk about things? Big Whoop. There's somebody like that on every PTA group...

Yes. It's a step down. It's basically preying on the "well, anybeing could see things her way & be evil or whatever" except then its just a case of correcting bad intentions or warped misconceptions... something that can be done in an episode or two, but we needed it stretched over a season because its late in the game & we're losing competent writers.

If we can just spank her & tell her not to be so dadgumed mean... then kind of anticlimax, isn't it?

...and my issue isn't that it's poor writing. No, it's about how we even have to have a Big Bad or some dramatic climax at all. 

I much prefer Slice of Life. Lower stakes, y'know?

Except Cozy was ALSO evading detection and spent a lot of time working on her plan. At no point does Cozy reveal her evil intentions to ANYONE who's in a position to "pop her in the face". She always put forth the image of being a harmless little filly and was treated as such. She worked hard, using her intellect, to gain Twilight's trust and more responsibilities within the school, being made her head assistant. This ended up granting her access to powerful artifacts Twi was left in charge of. She had instructions given to her by a bored, vengeful Tirek on how to manipulate these artifacts to create a spell that drained magic from Equestria. She used the magic drain to win over the students by being really nice to them, distracting tem from the crisis and looking like a beacon of hope. She used actual logic in her arguments to sway people to her side against a character who himself was also a villain the crowd had no reason to trust. Her speech to rally the crowd against Neighsay is basically speech any of the heroes could've said. In terms of how correct and sympathetic it sounded.

Edited by gingerninja666

@gingerninja666  Except:

1. She's a Child. When a Child manages to undermine the Adults you've put in charge of, say, dangerous magical artifacts or some School built for, presumeably, the management of others... maybe you've hired incompetents. Thusly,

2. She's a Child. You're supposed to not give them credit, because they're too young & stupid. Because, that sort of knowledge of how others act & how the world goes tends to require living long enough in said world. A teenager, maybe, but a ten year old? Really smells of overwriting the villains competence so you can get more drama out of the story arc...

3. Maybe, I don't know. Keeping the guy that took over the world, who grew into a bloody Kaiju, seperated from the rest of the world so his influence doesn't cause something like this would be Important. Isn't he in Tartarus? Doesn't Equestria have SOME form of government or judicial force?

4. A magic drain spell, or mind control, feels like a high level spell. It makes sense when somepony like Starlight Glimmer does it because she devoted her whole life solely to magic... and because of her depression, wouldn't allow herself to do anything else but work to the ends capable of bending Time to her will. We've seen Twilight as a filly turn her own parents into cacti so it would kind of make sense to guard fillies if you KNOW they're basically ticking magical time bombs! Especially since we have a cannonical school just for unicorns that pretty much assures us they ought have SOME experience with, say, fillies getting in a schoolyard tiff and potentially, irreversably turning one young life into a mere paperweight! 

Equestria has no excuse not to see young magic users as a threat & prepare as such, even if there is no reason to suspect foul play.

5. Oh! A SPEECH! We all know how powerful those are in this world! Everybeing knows, that in a show, when a character gives some heartfelt speech, every listener immediately & completely believes every part of it without any alternate, deviating thoughts or doubts! Because characters don't have independant thought.

I haven't watched what went down. I'm ranting here, I'm sure that's apparent.

But what this reeks of, is poor writing. You buildt a character up to be a threat... because you needed a threat. It's a child. A child. When a CHILD can out-think, out-maneuver every other character... sure does make not only every other character, but the world you've made as a whole look incredibly stupid & gullible. 

Maybe not put stuff you know as a threat where any fool can get to it? Maybe have an actual organization in place to manage prisoners you know as a threat? Maybe actually understand the kids you're supposed to be in charge of to where you know where somepony might pull something like this?

Is this what they're saying, that some elementery school kid can just whip up a plan to take over the world, in the real world? That we should be afraid because any dang fool could ruin the lives of everyone on a whim?

Children don't concoct elaborate schemes. They don't have the capacity to, since they don't have the experience.

• Brohoof 1

3 hours ago, Widdershins said:

@gingerninja666  Except:

1. She's a Child. When a Child manages to undermine the Adults you've put in charge of, say, dangerous magical artifacts or some School built for, presumeably, the management of others... maybe you've hired incompetents. Thusly,

2. She's a Child. You're supposed to not give them credit, because they're too young & stupid. Because, that sort of knowledge of how others act & how the world goes tends to require living long enough in said world. A teenager, maybe, but a ten year old? Really smells of overwriting the villains competence so you can get more drama out of the story arc...

3. Maybe, I don't know. Keeping the guy that took over the world, who grew into a bloody Kaiju, seperated from the rest of the world so his influence doesn't cause something like this would be Important. Isn't he in Tartarus? Doesn't Equestria have SOME form of government or judicial force?

4. A magic drain spell, or mind control, feels like a high level spell. It makes sense when somepony like Starlight Glimmer does it because she devoted her whole life solely to magic... and because of her depression, wouldn't allow herself to do anything else but work to the ends capable of bending Time to her will. We've seen Twilight as a filly turn her own parents into cacti so it would kind of make sense to guard fillies if you KNOW they're basically ticking magical time bombs! Especially since we have a cannonical school just for unicorns that pretty much assures us they ought have SOME experience with, say, fillies getting in a schoolyard tiff and potentially, irreversably turning one young life into a mere paperweight! 

Equestria has no excuse not to see young magic users as a threat & prepare as such, even if there is no reason to suspect foul play.

5. Oh! A SPEECH! We all know how powerful those are in this world! Everybeing knows, that in a show, when a character gives some heartfelt speech, every listener immediately & completely believes every part of it without any alternate, deviating thoughts or doubts! Because characters don't have independant thought.

I haven't watched what went down. I'm ranting here, I'm sure that's apparent.

But what this reeks of, is poor writing. You buildt a character up to be a threat... because you needed a threat. It's a child. A child. When a CHILD can out-think, out-maneuver every other character... sure does make not only every other character, but the world you've made as a whole look incredibly stupid & gullible. 

Maybe not put stuff you know as a threat where any fool can get to it? Maybe have an actual organization in place to manage prisoners you know as a threat? Maybe actually understand the kids you're supposed to be in charge of to where you know where somepony might pull something like this?

Is this what they're saying, that some elementery school kid can just whip up a plan to take over the world, in the real world? That we should be afraid because any dang fool could ruin the lives of everyone on a whim?

Children don't concoct elaborate schemes. They don't have the capacity to, since they don't have the experience.

Cozy isn't portrayed as a "normal" child in terms of intellect. Her cutie mark (i.e. the thing she is supernaturally gifted at and destined to do well) is planning and scheming. It's a chess piece. Like, I get it, but Cozy being a hyper intelligent child isn't a concept unique to MLP. Either you can go along with the concept or you can't. I was able to go along with it  partly because  I've personally seen the "evil child" trope in enough things to be ok with it, it doesn't kill my suspension of disbelief, but also because Cozy never directly challenges anyone. She uses her disarming cuteness and helpfullness to ingratiate people's trust. Her only physical act in the finale is to push Starlight into a magic orb, which was an action that took Star completely off guard. It's like a child smacking you across the back of the head with a brick while you aren't looking. She never directly overpowered anyone.

Tirek was actually inside Tartarus. He didn't escape. Cozy became his pen pal and wrote letters to him asking for his help.

Cozy also isn't a unicorn. She's a pegasus. So she's not a super powerful magic time bomb. The only reason she could do this spell was because: A. It was a ritual, not an incantation, B. The magic for the ritual came from artifacts. and C. The only reason she knew how to do the ritual was because a genius centaur who specializes in magic draining gave her step by step instructions on how to set it up. So this isn't a case of them needing to predict that a child can be a magical disaster. Because NONE of the magic Cozy used came from Cozy herself. She never once uses magic in front of any of the cast.

Cozy's speech about NEighsay is probably one fo the most sensical speeches ever in the show. Cozy is a person the crowd in that scene LIKES. She'd spent literal months being a model student, a good friend to everyone, and had been doing nice things for them the entire day up until that point. The pony she's trying to rally them against is Neighsay. The VILLAIN of the season premiere and someone who the crowd knows has tried to ruin Twi's school once before. Someone the crowd have little reason to trust. Cozy invokes the names of Luna, Celestia and Twilight to make her points sound like things the princesses would approve of (like how the last time Neightsay tried to mess with the school, Celestia overuled him). And not only that, but later on that same crowd turns on Cozy not because of anything the mane characters say, but because they see the Student 6 acting virtuously, and notice that Cozy is suddenly being dismissive of them. They turn on her because they start thinking for themselves, and notice that her mask had slipped slightly.

On 11/25/2018 at 8:18 PM, Singe said:

Cozy Glow was a change from the overuse of redemption villains and the specific ones with pasts overreacting to minor things. For once, a villain that tells Twilight to shove it on the redemption or more to the point she's beyond the friendship fixes all solution. I'm going with that they've overplayed their favorite villain trope and needed to change it up.

I see nothing minor about being ditched after one loses the part of their body that allows them to focus their magic.