Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Double sided DVD's - Are they prone to problems?

SUPERFOX5

I need to get this off of my shoulders, like seriously.

I bought a DVD set of PowerPuff Girls like, two years ago, and decided to do a bit of a marathon.

The first season I don't think skipped at all, but halfway through Side A of Season 2, kept freezing and glitching, even in more than one player.

I played it initially in the Sony BDP-S1700, then in the PS4, and then decided to try the PS2.

All of them have the same problem, they freeze and I cannot continue watching it.

I don't know if it has to do with the fact that the DVD's are double sided or not, so if anyone can confirm this for me, that would be great.

I am finding mixed responses on the internet, and not really a clear answer, although a slight majority say that double sided DVD's can have tons of problems, so I cannot be the only one with this issue.

And yes, it was bought DIRECTLY from Amazon, and NOT a marketplace seller, the last time I bought from a third party, the discs were all scratched up and couldn't play at all.

Sorry for the rant, I am just sad that I cannot watch PowerPuff Girls properly at the moment...

Double Sided DVDs are usually used by one side having widescreen and the other having fullscreen. It's a colossal pain in the ass because now the disc is susceptible to even more damage, which is likely what happened to your copy

DVDs can degrade over time. How does the surface of the disc look? There is a problem called "Coffee stain" where the layers start to separate. You can see a visible discoloration on the disc. This makes the disc unplayable after time passes. I found a good example of what coffee staining looks like.

5f797f651ae475c12e332336adb5196b2fc54307.jpg

Another possibility is that the collection just isn't of good quality in the first place. Often collections of older shows are made by third party, low budget companies that aren't really looking for anything beyond a quick buck. The disc could be shoddy or the data on it could be faulty straight out of the box. This includes all forms of DVD, not just double-sided ones. 

The PPG complete series set was made by Warner Bros., so I would assume automatically that it was good quality.

This is what the disc looks like, it looks okay to me, but the moment I start playing an episode, it just stops the Blu ray player.

I have also read reviews on Amazon of people having the same problem, so I dunno if it is just me.

I might buy a second set, to prove I am not crazy

IMG_0786.JPG

• 1 year later...

There were a lot of weird formats back in the day. See 8-bit guys video about odd media. Like DVD RAM, I had no idea it came inside cases. I would just go with the most common format, of just get a Blu-Ray burner like me

• 4 weeks later...