Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Advice and help for OC

Morilec

Hi, I'm designing my first OC, but I'm denied drawing and making decisions, so I'd like some advice and maybe some sketchs/drawings from some of you. 

I found this name on a name generator, then there's a character on it.

But I don't know, I'm not very convinced, at first I wanted to make a unicorn that used a lot of magic, but I found it trivial, something I've already seen, so the idea of a pony that goes by sea and goes home between one trip and another is much more unique, but then the questions start, what does it do at sea? How could the magic at sea help him? 

Name: Ocean Zephyr (or Ocean Wave)

Species: Unicorn 

Appearance: I don't know, any advice? I was thinking of colors reminiscent of the ocean and wave, with a mane and tail between the Shining Armor and Big McIntosh, body size more like Big Macintosh than the Shining Armor, a short cut that is not unkempt but not even too nice.  

Cutie Mark: I don't know, any advice? I thought that the cutie mark could be the one that does at sea, but if I don't decide that first, you can't do it, if not, you could make a more generic one, maybe related to magic and the sea? I don't know...  

Personality:  Sincere, straightforward, he loves peace, a calm and relaxed guy, but when he gets angry, probably something will be broken. He doesn't talk much, he prefers to listen, but if he finds a topic he likes, he becomes a logorrhoeic pony. He has the ability to become friends with everypony. 

Backstory: Born in Canterlot, he always imagined to become a great magician, failing to do so, moved to Ponyville in adulthood, where he spends his free time studying magic, relaxing and having fun with his friends. Work in progress 

I think I said everything that could be useful, making an OC is more complicated than I imagined. I apologize for my English.

Hm, well, a zephyr is a west wind (a wind that blows *from* the west to the east), and is traditionally considered gentle and favourable. From the name, I would assume he's skilled at some sort of beneficial wind magic - if you want him to be some sort of prodigy, maybe he has the power to propel an entire sail ship by his lonesome?

Why are you making this character in the first place? It's hard to create a good character in a vacuum, without purpose or context.

• Brohoof 1

4 hours ago, Hardway Bet said:

Hm, well, a zephyr is a west wind (a wind that blows *from* the west to the east), and is traditionally considered gentle and favourable. From the name, I would assume he's skilled at some sort of beneficial wind magic - if you want him to be some sort of prodigy, maybe he has the power to propel an entire sail ship by his lonesome?

Why are you making this character in the first place? It's hard to create a good character in a vacuum, without purpose or context.

It's not bad at all as an idea, I was thinking of changing the name in Ocean Wave that sounds better, but I could leave Zephyr now.

I'm doing it for me, that is, I've been following the series for years I've always had the idea to make me an OC, but because of my inexistent skills in drawing and continuous indecision I have always postponed, but this time, I decided that finally the time has arrived that I also have an OC. But it's not easy at all ...