Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general Summer camps you've been to?

SkyPie

Have you ever been to any camps? If so, got any stories of your time there?

I only ever went to one camp, a free one called Camp Braveheart (looking it up, it seems it was renamed Camp Erin). It's for children who have lost loved ones. The one thing I remember most about going to that camp was swinging high above the ground in a harness. It was really fun, but also terrifying. Another thing that happened was there being a small scorpion in the cabin I was staying in with others. It got squished.

Why was it squished and who did it :wacko: ?

Never ever really camped. Closest thing was Camp Texas for my college several years back when I was first coming in. Fun part was the Color War :ooh: , where you sprayed people with powder of your team's color :glimmer:!!!!...... :adorkable:. I was in a team called the Blue Jays and we had a song too :wacko: (though not that great compared to some other ones).

4 minutes ago, WWolf said:

Why was it squished and who did it :wacko: ?

It got squished so nobody could get stung. I don't remember who but I know it was with an object.

I never been to summer camp before. But I did attended to this 14 weeks program for medical. So I wouldn't expect any exciting story from this. Except when I fainted during our EMT session. The inspector thought I was acting when he ask for any volunteers to act as a patient.

I was in the Boy Scouts and you know in the Boy Scouts we camp a lot. We'd go on weekend camp outs and week long summer camps. I remember I went to probably about four different summer camps and I enjoyed everyone of them. I remember when we all sat around the campfire late at night when everyone was sleeping smoking cigarettes and hoping not to get caught, I also remember all the times we stayed up all night betting all our money on poker and then hiking 10 miles the next day. The last story I remember off the top of my head is the time we played football in an open field during a lightning storm. I'll never forget that lightning bolt striking the tree only about 50 to 75 feet away from us, I have never ran so fast in my life before. I enjoyed my time as a Boy Scout and cherished the memories we had at summer camp and camp outs. :ticking:

Edited by Lord Midnight Madness
  • Brohoof 2

9 hours ago, ssj4gogita4 said:

What qualifies as "summer camps"? Does it mean you are away all summer or just a week or two?

Any length during the summer. I was only at Camp Braveheart (Erin) for four days.

• 1 year later...

I've been to a summer camp before, it was fun! However, there were problems, like you couldn't get refills because there wasn't enough food, the food was low quality, and there wasn't air conditioner in the cabin I slept in.

I’ve never been to any Summer camps. I almost went to a summer horse riding camp when I was 14 but unfortunately wasn’t able to due to something not working out. I don’t remember what now. :huh:

Some of my best memories are from summer camps. I went to Boy Scout camp for six years and marching band camp for five, if you count college (which I barely consider to be a summer camp compared to high school band camp). I have countless amazing memories from them. Spending a week around friends and sleeping in the same area creates a special bond that can't happen any other way, and those people start to feel like family after a while. There are way too many memories for me to list, so I'll just name a few of my favorites.

In Boy Scout camp, there was a trading post that sold all sorts of stuff. Pocket knives, tents, hammocks, packets that changed the color of fire, and countless other stuff. There was even a window that sold food, and it was super popular. The ice cream was amazing, and me and a few others from my troop would always get some in the afternoon and eat it in that cramped dining hall (more of a dining room. It was maybe a one hundred square foot room in the back of the trading post). I miss that so much.

Band camp my senior year of high school was unforgettable. I could write a book about all the dumb shit we got up to that week. One of my favorites was something we called "belly slaps." A bit of background, the band was split up in cabins all over the campsite, with males on one end and females on the other. The one I was in was the largest, and it was four rooms of sixteen beds connected by a large common area. Inside of that hall was low brass, drum line, and a few other miscellaneous weirdos, to give you an idea of what the people there were like. One night at midnight, my room (about half of low brass, me, and one alto sax player) came up with a hilariously stupid idea. We all took our shirts off and paraded through the other three rooms, slapping our bellies as hard and loud as we could. The noise was deafening, and I couldn't breathe from how hard I was laughing. That probably went on for a solid ten minutes or so.

Also, sophomore year of high school I became the dedicated bug killer. Wasps liked to find their way into the cabins (this was at a different camp than the one from senior year. The entire band and staff were crammed inside five cabins that each held about thirty people), and my hatred for bugs made me known for going overkill on them. What I'd do is take a broom, wait for the bug to land, and smash it as hard as I could with the bristles. Senior year (in the new camp) there was a moth on the doorway, and somebody told me to kill it. I hit it so hard its wings came off.

Edited by Booker
  • Brohoof 1

I've been to one that was way back in Grade 8. I don't remember the name of it, but I do know that it was pretty far. It was a two hour bus ride. We did activities like canoeing and rock climbing. Outside of that, we got up to some shenanigans. My group got locked out of our own cabin, people got chased around by a girl who put her underwear on a stick, tents got raided, a bunch of cows woke everyone up at 3am and a tree fell on our tent. Not something I will forget about anytime soon.

In other news, I've been to what I refer to as "Jesus Camp" because it was Christianity-based. 

I didn't really care about all that stuff (no offense to anypony here) because I was a kid, right? There was a waterslide, zipline, pool, horseback riding, camping, and an end of the camp party with a mystery theme that we would have to dress up to match.

The staff was super nice, and I'm sad that I didn't get to go too often. I only stopped because they refused to give me my medicine because of "the healing powers of God."

Listen, y'all.

I have EPILEPSY. Which means that if I don't get my meds, I could have a seizure. Full on pass out, eyes rolling go the back of my head, get really stiff (this is apparently what I look like when I am having one. I asked someone once). 

I also lose my memory of what the hell just happened and have a tendency to throw up right afterwards. 

So yes, not giving me my medication seems like a GREAT idea.

So yeah. I only went for a couple of years.

Edited by Emerald Heart