Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Worst online community?

Olly

worst online community?  

46 users have voted

1. 1. which website has the worst userbase?

• Youtube
    • 4Chan
    • Tumblr
    • Reddit
    • other

Steam Community User Discussions (S.C.U.D.) and Wikipedia are the worst I've personally been exposed to. 

Wikipedia is just a headache of bureaucracy and I had to quit using S.C.U.D. for my own sanity after it devolved into people doing highly unethical and  illegal stuff to just spite people they didn't like.

yeah wikipedia sucks

and so does pretty much every fortnite fan community

no offense to any fortnite fans that might be on here i'm sure you're one of the two or three good ones

• Brohoof 2

4chan is like a reverse tumor. It sits there, soaking up bandwidth and pumping out endless piles of content nobody wants (which is also frequently harmful, e.g. /b/ is currently spammed with pictures of male anatomy and Flat Earth arguments).

Just now, jicem said:

yeah wikipedia sucks

and so does pretty much every fortnite fan community

no offense to any fortnite fans that might be on here i'm sure you're one of the two or three good ones

When Fortnite sends its people, they're not sending their best. They’re not sending you. They’re not sending you. They’re sending people that have lots of problems, and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing trolls. They’re bringing hackers. They’re children. And some, I assume, are good people.

• Brohoof 1

The brony community is ass and continues to go further and further down the toilet as time goes on

Edited by This Whomps
  • Brohoof 3

I was once a part of a community that was free for everyone, then decided to start charging because of the size of the userbase. It was massive and topics were constantly updating. I only paid for a couple of years (two 1-year subscriptions) instead of the lifetime sub because no one knew if or when the site was going to go offline. What sucks is it was a slow site down the road and, while I still have an account there, I only view it like twice a year to see if anything has changed. It's hard to believe that I joined in 2005... I hope to find something else like it but free, obviously, with a great community of members. :)

• Brohoof 1

Every online community has good and toxic people, some are worse than others though. I don't really know what are the worst, but I think it is Fortnite community and TikTok community in my opinion. YouTube comments aren't as toxic as they are annoying, with people posting irritating comments just to get likes such as "best for Fortnite player is: like for Ninja and comment for Tfue" and "I liked my own comment cause no one else would". Which brings up another issue - people are so desperate to be accepted by others that they like their own comments, and that is also annoying.

4 minutes ago, PiratePony said:

I miss the internet of the 90s: now it's full of jerks with no filters.

Hmm, sounds like the American society today. :unamused:

Edited by EpicEnergy
  • Brohoof 1

This one's a bit hard, but every community has the chance to have bad parts in it. 4chan is the one that gets my vote, even though there is some good that comes out of it every now and again.

• Brohoof 1

Please keep other site's drama nonsense off of MLPF, this is not the first time I have mentioned that to some of you specifically. Thanks all. 

I really think that this topic is substantive because of one KEY word some may have overlooked. @Olly said bystander. Now, imagine you are a fan of x, y, or z. You go on to YouTube to only to watch a video of interest. You rarely comment, but you do read comments. Same with Reddit, 4chan, etc. The interesting question here is this -- do the participants in environments that are caustic or generally not the most peaceful have a negative impact of the average casual viewer who witnesses this? Is there value lost or gained here by having such an environment? What are the trade-offs? These are the interesting questions worth pondering.

• Brohoof 1

Tumblr for me. 

I still regularly visit. Love it for the art and the entertainment. But holy crap do they loose their minds when things get even remotely political, race related or gender related. Heck, they never even fact check original posts or even their own arguments before going on the war path. 

3 hours ago, Denim&Venom said:

Heck, they never even fact check original posts or even their own arguments before going on the war path. 

That gets old. So much hate over nothing... it's so negative lately and nobody bothers to think for themselves. If they see something written they'll just believe it

• 1 year later...

I'll be specific here: the Paladins subreddit. The elitism there was absurd, pretty much was getting non-stop attacked for the three days I posted there... Even the game itself is quite toxic, but sheesh, the subreddit puts the rest of Reddit to shame (and the rest of Reddit is a bunch of f***ing snowflake-filled circlejerks).