Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Hasbro is digging its own grave?

ManaMinori

Hasbro has this really weird obsession with reusing the same things over and over (mane 6) when other lines like shopkins, tsum tsums, etc THRIVE with collectability and variety.The biggest thing on cyber monday were lol surprise dolls. Variety is the biggest thing in toys right now (with the help from blind boxes ofc…) and hasbro’s still clutching to pinkie pie and the Mane 6- or the Princesses as their bread and butter. Sure, they have  the usual blind bags or now, the Cutie Mark Crew, but their main line is the brushables, which should be returned to the "collect them all" format and variety of characters that gens 1, 2, and 3. Is Hasbro hurting itself with the brushables line by refusing to adopt the variety format that they ran with for 27 years of the My Little Pony franchise before FiM?

• Brohoof 1

It sure would be nice to get the Funko style collections back with all kinds of ponies. The brushables are so..........useless! The hair frizzes and they just don't look good.

• Brohoof 1

When you got as strong and recognizable characters as the likes of mane 6 you just don't throw them in the garbage can that quickly. Producing something that can gain that level of value is not really that easy to do.

So as Hasbro I personally would hold on to the value that mane6 produces as long as possible. 

4 hours ago, Nightmare Muffin said:

format that they ran with for 27 years of the My Little Pony franchise before FiM?

Fim is fundamentally different from the older gens fim is more character driven storytelling where the story serves the characters older gens were story driven where the characters served the story.

Edited by Yu Ziyuan
  • Brohoof 1

4 hours ago, Nightmare Muffin said:

hasbro’s still clutching to pinkie pie and the Mane 6- or the Princesses as their bread and butter

I think the MLP lines aren't as lucrative to Hasbro as their other lines. I think that's why they tend to keep it static.

On 11/29/2018 at 3:12 PM, Yu Ziyuan said:

When you got as strong and recognizable characters as the likes of mane 6 you just don't throw them in the garbage can that quickly. Producing something that can gain that level of value is not really that easy to do.

So as Hasbro I personally would hold on to the value that mane6 produces as long as possible. 

Fim is fundamentally different from the older gens fim is more character driven storytelling where the story serves the characters older gens were story driven where the characters served the story.

There's rereleasing Mane 6, and then there's including Mane 6 with virtually every set that has a different character. It's like they think they need Pinkie in a package to sell a new character? Or a box set of blindbag size ponies that has the mane 6 and 4-6 other ponies. Anyone who wants different ponies essentially has to drown in unwanted duplicates in order to get different ponies in the brushable or blindbag lines, not to mention anything bigger with brushable hair is (almost) exclusively mane 6 and princesses. At least with plushies and Build-a-bear ponies can be bought individually if you want a different character.

For example, one set that I wanted was a set of blindbag sized ponies that had 6 G3s turned into G4s, so they were new characters, BUT it came with the Mane 6, and I have too many of them, so I didn't buy it.  I don't want to spend money on things I already have, and that I can find at the flea market for less than a dollar. Considering how much the new characters in that set cost individually, I would conclude that not many other people wanted to  buy it, either.