Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Character interactions that we have been denied

ManaMinori

While it is tragic that we've yet to get a Celestia and Luna Sisterhooves Social or Family Appreciation Day themed episode, I find it far more dire that we've yet to receive a Cadence and Celestia 'sode, given that they are Niece and Aunt. Or one with Cadance, Blueblood and Celestia, since both have been adopted by the crown and it could be quite interesting to see how Cady and Blue get along in Celestia's presence. I

Also, the lack of Fluttershy and Spike - given her initial reaction to him coupled with desire to learn more about dragons upon their first meeting should be rectified.

13 minutes ago, Nightmare Muffin said:

While it is tragic that we've yet to get a Celestia and Luna Sisterhooves Social or Family Appreciation Day themed episode, I find it far more dire that we've yet to receive a Cadence and Celestia 'sode, given that they are Niece and Aunt. Or one with Cadance, Blueblood and Celestia, since both have been adopted by the crown and it could be quite interesting to see how Cady and Blue get along in Celestia's presence. I

Also, the lack of Fluttershy and Spike - given her initial reaction to him coupled with desire to learn more about dragons upon their first meeting should be rectified.

Then there's Spike and Twilight's family, who are by extension his family too.

Just now, FlareGun45 said:

I would very much like to see more of Spike and Shining, and Spike with Sparkle parents. Especially Night Light. Just more male bonding

15 minutes ago, FlareGun45 said:

The 2016 holiday special almost did that, since it starts with Twilight and Spike leaving their family house during the holidays. 

Not an episode, but Issues 11 and 12 had good Celestia/Cadance interactions, with Celestia acting like Cadance's cool mom during the Fall Formal. 

As for the Family Appreciation thing, Legends of Magic implies they don't really have a family outside of each other and Starswirl (whose more of an adoptive father than teacher like he claimed). I always assumed King Leo and Prince Blueblood were only related to them through honorary family. Though King Leo is probably super retconned by this point.

MLP has so many characters that haven't many interactions though, like Twilight's parents haven't hung out with Twilight's friends yet. Also, Firelight and Stellarflare haven't interacted with anyone else besides Starlight and Sunburst. And what about the pillars? They have jobs now, but they haven't spent much time around the mane six. There is also the Tree of Harmony - it hasn't revealed itself as a sentient being to anyone else aside from the student six. The Changelings (Thorax, Pharynx, and others), after their reformation, haven't been seen hardly at all with the mane six, aside from Ocellus. Flurry Heart also needs more interactions with Sunburst and her parents, I haven't seen much of that. The Wonderbolts, well, we don't get to see much of them aside from Spitfire, and we haven't seen Vapor Wave or Sky Stinger after their episode.

There is much more interactions that other characters could have with each other! It would be nice to see as well, I think the show should devote a little more time to this. However, I also think we should treasure the interactions we get, like Rockhoof's recent episode, the episode with Sunburst's and Starlight's parents, and Spike talking to Smolder more, instead of complaining about the ones we don't. Not saying anyone is complaining though, everything I've seen in this topic so far isn't like that.

8 hours ago, Nightmare Muffin said:

While it is tragic that we've yet to get a Celestia and Luna Sisterhooves Social or Family Appreciation Day themed episode, I find it far more dire that we've yet to receive a Cadence and Celestia 'sode, given that they are Niece and Aunt

It would be nice, to see how Cadence and Celestia get along, but don't forget about Luna! She can be in there as well since she is Celestia's sister!

8 hours ago, Nightmare Muffin said:

I don't think we can ever go back to Fluttershy's fascination with dragons - she has already seen tons of dragons, especially Smolder, so there really isn't a need to learn more about dragons when dragons are no longer a very mysterious creature to anypony anymore. However, it would be nice to see more of Spike and Fluttershy.

• Brohoof 1

Spike and literally anyone that isn't Twilight or Rarity. There's a lot of promise with pairing him with the likes of Pinkie or RD. Hell, SAYS was originally intended for Rarity instead of AJ, which is why the episode felt lacking between the two.

Ditto with Starlight and the rest of the mane 6 which feels even more lacking. Only Pinkie's gotten anything resembling interaction and even then it's only if Maud is involved, which unfortunately takes priority.

Hell, certain mane 6 pairings still feels lacking despite lots of potential. Rainbow Dash works really well with Rarity and Twilight but those two pairings are barely ever used, it took us 8 seasons to see Twilight and Rarity get an episode together, and Pinkie and Fluttershy hardly feels like a thing. I'm really happy that they've finally been giving Flutterjack more spotlight but before S6 their friendship feels virtually non-existent

• Brohoof 2

Celestia-Cadance must be a really funny interaction.

I agree that Spike needs more interactions beyond Twilight or Rarity.

I would love another Luna-CMC episode. After the nightmare trilogy I've always wanted more little sisters interaction.

I'm a sucker for the chemistry shown between Twilight and Sunburst, I would like an episode with them enjoying the hell out of a book related task (for example, helping the griffins to build up a new library and rescue the books from the old one).

I'm not going to say too much about secondary characters. Getting a better sense of Spike's relationship with Twilight's family is way overdue, but otherwise parings involving secondary characters aren't first priority for me. You could probably make a whole second show out of developing the few things we know about Cadance, though. I mean, I'd watch that show.

Among the mane six, what bums me out most isn't just that the show uses the same pairings so often, but that it's starting to actively undermine any friendships which aren't that handful of favoured pairings. Rarity and Rainbow Dash are friends, but from their season 8 episode you'd think they hate each other. And then there's others who just don't seem to hang out at all: do Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy spend time together at all? We never see it if they do. 

And both Spike and Starlight need episodes with more of the mane six. The former used to hang out with Twilight's friends all the time, and the latter needs those individual relationships to make her feel more integrated in the cast. The crew has clearly realized that trying to segregate her was a mistake, so they should go the rest of the way with it. 

3 hours ago, AlexanderThrond said:

Among the mane six, what bums me out most isn't just that the show uses the same pairings so often, but that it's starting to actively undermine any friendships which aren't that handful of favoured pairings. Rarity and Rainbow Dash are friends, but from their season 8 episode you'd think they hate each other. And then there's others who just don't seem to hang out at all: do Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy spend time together at all? We never see it if they do. 

I'm sure the latter will have to happen at least once in a whole S9 episode. Besides, what else more can be done anyway for all the rest, over the fact that thanks to S8, they've all got what they needed except those two?

Edited by FirePuppy