Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What's the problem with my screen?

Kevin Tang

I know I should have gone to another relevant website for this problem

But if someone here can solve my issue right here, I will be very grateful.

So as you can see on the picture, there's an unusual black and purple lines at the edge of my screen.

Anypony knows what it is? And perhaps how to make them disappear?

IMG_20181201_183900.jpg

Edited by Kevin Tang

Just now, Midnight Solace said:

Have you tried turning it off and on again? :-D

I'm not an expert at computers, but if that doesn't work, maybe you have an outdated graphics driver.

I already tried that

And why can an outdated graphic driver make a line?

I had one of these, and it was a monitor issue. There's no easy way of fixing it yourself - you'll have to see a technician.

Have you ever dropped your laptop recently? It may occur after an impact, even a minor one.

It looks very clean, which to me looks like dead LEDs. Software issue is unlikely, but worth checking out - if you can get into BIOS {F2 on Acer, F12 on Lenovo, F10 on HP, Escape on ASUS off the top of my head} and see if the pixels are dead there as well. If they are, then it's a hardware issue for sure and no way to fix it without replacing the panel {see if warranty repair is a possibility, some companies are better than others}.

If it doesn't show up in BIOS and only in Windows, then it does sound like a driver or some other kind of software issue, so reinstalling the drivers would be a logical first step.

• Brohoof 1

31 minutes ago, Quinch said:

It looks very clean, which to me looks like dead LEDs. Software issue is unlikely, but worth checking out - if you can get into BIOS {F2 on Acer, F12 on Lenovo, F10 on HP, Escape on ASUS off the top of my head} and see if the pixels are dead there as well. If they are, then it's a hardware issue for sure and no way to fix it without replacing the panel {see if warranty repair is a possibility, some companies are better than others}.

If it doesn't show up in BIOS and only in Windows, then it does sound like a driver or some other kind of software issue, so reinstalling the drivers would be a logical first step.

This^ 100% this. I used to do PC repair for Staples and these are the exact steps I would have followed. So check BIOS, update all drivers and well the rest of it is laid out nicely by Quinch if these two steps do not give any answers.