Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

music What is your favorite Holiday Music?

Jedishy

So by now holiday music will be all over in the US. What are your favorite holiday songs? Do you have favorite variations of the classics? My personal favorite is Dominick The Donkey 

• Brohoof 1

14 minutes ago, This Whomps said:

Carol of the Bells by the Trans Siberian Orchestra will always be king

Cant knock classical orchestra music. I think we need more of it being created in this day and age not just rehashing classics 

• Brohoof 1

I'm going to sound like a broken record because I'm pretty sure I've posted just this at least a couple of times on these forums over the years. lol

Despite being a nonbeliever, my most favorite holiday songs are generally the really old Christian songs. They have really beautiful melodies, sometimes going as far back as the middle ages or Renaissance. Early music is one of my favorite areas of music, so...

My favorite is O Come, O Come Emmanuel:

• Brohoof 5

For the most part I'm a fan of the oldies almost exclusively. The Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra kind of Christmas music. A lot of the old hymns too though. Most modern Christmas music just isn't the same. I am fully aware that this is probably just "because it's different" syndrome though.

There are a few modern songs I like though such as this one:

• Brohoof 2

"Simply having a wonderful Christmas time" By Paul Mccartney, "There's no place like home for the holidays" by Perry Como, and "Snowman" by Sia.

I love the older stuff mostly. My favorite Christmas songs and carols are Wexford Carol, O Holy Night and Carol of the Bells. My favorite albums are the Julie Andrews Firestone album, Jack Jones Christmas album, The Singers Unlimited, and Percy Faith. Of course there's always room for Bing and Frank.

• Brohoof 1

I like hearing Jingle Bell Rock or Rockin Around the Christmas Tree. (basically those 50-60s era songs, although I can only think of those too).

Ironically, this one's also a favorite of mine (a lot more techno).

11 hours ago, WWolf said:

Ironically, this one's also a favorite of mine (a lot more techno).

Yeah, Mannheim Steamroller is a bit too techno for me. I grew up listening to them since my parents did, but a lot of it is way too techno for me. However, there are a few gems. And they use real oboe, English horn, and recorder in a number of their songs, and it's actually really beautiful when they do.

I actually am in love with their rendition of Veni Veni (O Come O Come Emmanuel):

Also today I discovered they actually have some good routes in early music and made this neat little Renaissance-like performance of Coventry Carol, which is another one of my favorite Christmas songs of early music origin:

Looks like there is quite a bit more to the group than the cheesy techno stuff they're known for.

• Brohoof 2

I prefer modern holiday music and remixes, I dislike the older stuff and the classics. If they don't have a good amount of bass and beats, and if they aren't EDM, dubstep, trap, and/or rock, I probably wouldn't listen to them.

This is my favorite one:

To be completely honest though, I don't really like Christmas music, I normally just stick with what I normally listen to. Don't judge me, I'm different from many people.

Edited by EpicEnergy

12 hours ago, Envy said:

Yeah, Mannheim Steamroller is a bit too techno for me. I grew up listening to them since my parents did, but a lot of it is way too techno for me. However, there are a few gems. And they use real oboe, English horn, and recorder in a number of their songs, and it's actually really beautiful when they do.

I actually am in love with their rendition of Veni Veni (O Come O Come Emmanuel):

Also today I discovered they actually have some good routes in early music and made this neat little Renaissance-like performance of Coventry Carol, which is another one of my favorite Christmas songs of early music origin:

Looks like there is quite a bit more to the group than the cheesy techno stuff they're known for.

I like that middle section (2:00 ish) with the.. recorder :huh: :ooh: ? I'm surprised they also composed something much more instrumental than techno :wacko: .

I cannot go a single year of the holidays without listening to the song from the first Spongebob christmas special. It always brings me back to my childhood and it feels magical.

It isn't necessarily high art or anything but it has the holiday spirit and the holiday cheer and that's what counts most to me. Such a shame that immediately after this song the episode goes way downhill and loses all of the Christmas joy until the very end.

• Brohoof 2