Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do the new writers watch older episodes?

heavens-champion

Half and half, some do, some don't, and some are really selective. There's lots of episodes that are tightly knit in continuity while others make you wonder how they got approved

• Brohoof 6

Some of them do, otherwise how are they meant to understand how the srory of FiM progressed? That's why some episodes are based older aspects of the show, like Tartarus, the Friendship Journal and using old jokes such as 20% Cooler.

1 hour ago, Sunlight Glisten said:

Nope. Evidence: in the season 8 disaster of an episode where fluttershy runs the shop, they clearly forgot fluttershys "freaky knowledge of sewing" from art of thr dress season 1.

I remember one big talking point that Fluttershy knows how to sew, but I don't expect her to know literally every strand of thread used in an outfit, much less one she didn't even make

• Brohoof 2

I would imagine that some of the writers would watch certain older episodes to serve as reference for their writing. Or at least for their initial story drafts. But I think they'd only watch specific ones that could be related to whatever story they're writing at the time. For example if they're writing a story to do with the Wonderbolts, then they'd go back and watch the Wonderbolt related episodes. If it's to do with the Apple family, then they'd go and watch the episodes related to that. Those are pretty loose examples just off the top of my head though.

Then I'd imagine that they combine those references with whatever other research they've done before writing out their first draft for presentation. And then develop the rest through editing and re-editing until it's ready for producton into an episode. I could be completely wrong, but if I was in their shoes I would definitely have to go back to specific episodes for references here and there. :-P

Obviously they're gonna miss the odd little detail here and there. It's just one of those things that happens with shows sometimes.There's a show called Red Dwarf that I'm a fan off. A mistake that they made was that the main character, Lister ended up having his appendix removed... Twice. I can't remember exactly the number of seasons that had passed for that little error to have occured. :mlp_laugh:

I honestly forgot the fluttershy sewing thing until someone mentioned it. I think they do watch the show, that's probably why they want to become writers of the show in the first place.

They all have to have some prior knowledge of the show to be able to work on it HOWEVER that doesn't mean they studied it well enough to grasps the characters/their arcs. This is why some new writers are amazing and such and others miss HARD! Even older veterans of the show don't do cross referencing in newer episodes and thus miss certain details that will make or beak their stories.

I would pull more examples but then I'll have to hit some uncomfortable episodes so I'll just leave this with the fact that DT was never shown to hate or regret anything about her day to day life beyond not getting what she wants and SUDDENLY we have her mother being a pain and DT being a sad pathetic person when it makes no sense at all.

Edited by CameoShadowness
left out something.

I’d like to share something I saw years ago. This was back when I was super into Stargate SG-1, so into it I begged until my parents bought me the full ten seasons on dvd (lol), along with all the cool behind the scenes stuff. And in one of the interviews of the directors and writers, they said something that will always stick with me.

They said (paraphrased), “We’ve put so much time, effort, and energy into building this world, but we will never care about it as much as the fans do. When we finish writing or directing an episode, that’s it, we have to go and put what we have into the next episode. And there’s times when the fans will come up and ask questions about an episode or character, and we have to be reminded because it was something we wrote years ago. And while fans will consume what we’ve written over and over and over again, to the point where they will remember small bits of lore, we haven’t, we’ve been trying to work on what comes next. Some fans who catch us with a small discrepancy or mistake will accuse us of not caring, but that’s not the case, it’s just the nature of TV and working on someone else’s schedule.”

Do I believe new writers have seen every episode? Yes. That doesn’t mean they remember every little detail of the show, especially since it’s likely they only watched each episode once. It’s important as fans to remember that the people working on the show are doing just that... working. They will never have the exact level of passion and fanaticism that we do, and some mistakes are going to happen.

• Brohoof 1

4 hours ago, ShootingStar159 said:

Do I believe new writers have seen every episode? Yes. That doesn’t mean they remember every little detail of the show, especially since it’s likely they only watched each episode once. It’s important as fans to remember that the people working on the show are doing just that... working. They will never have the exact level of passion and fanaticism that we do, and some mistakes are going to happen.

But then there are large details that get flat out ignored to push the narrative. All ponies lost their magic before and NO ONE was able to fly but now, Pegasi fly all the time despite it being drained because... Because??? it makes no sense. Then there are other things like Luna and Celestia raise the sun moon and stars through magic this had been repeated... 

I doubt they all watch all the episodes. Maybe key episodes but not all.

3 hours ago, Goat-kun said:

It's just a 9-5 job. Nothing personal kids 3Y6uKBJ.png

Their job is to write a coherent story that flows with the rest of the show.  So them skipping out on even bigger details that break their narrative shows they aren't doing their job.

2 hours ago, CameoShadowness said:

Their job is to write a coherent story that flows with the rest of the show.  So them skipping out on even bigger details that break their narrative shows they aren't doing their job.

And the reason why nobody else bothered to respond like you did is cause they know I'm bashing the writers. Lore, worldbuilding, consistency, they're all shit. They're so shit, in fact, that I refuse to accept anything but the most basic descriptions of character personalities and looks as canon. Everything else can be settled in a fight between two or more posters where you can always claim that they've retconned and ignored stuff so many times that the word of an official employees has been reduced to the level of fanon.

13 hours ago, FirePuppy said:

It really doesn't matter to me because I don't care who writers who or who writes what, as long as there aren't any writers that are BIG addicts to Rarity or Rainbow Dash in Season 9.

Why? I would love a writer who is really addicted to Rarity to write some episodes!

3 hours ago, Azureth said:

Why? I would love a writer who is really addicted to Rarity to write some episodes!

But she already has like, a lot of episodes compared to other main characters and I think it's best that the writers make more episodes revolving around the others for a change.

I don't really know. There are moments in the show that make me doubt - a big one recently was the episode where Pinkie just leaves her friends because she can't play a musical instrument she seemingly just started playing, which doesn't make a lot of sense even if we don't worry about the details. My guess would be that some writers have seen every episode and are passionate about the world and characters, whereas others get a brief description from a producer or the "show bible" and just go with that. I don't think it's true that they don't care: one thing about the show's current style is that, while I think it's overly didactic, it does make the episodes I don't like at least feel well-intentioned. But some episodes make me question if the writer knows what they're doing. 

On 12/8/2018 at 10:40 PM, Goat-kun said:

And the reason why nobody else bothered to respond like you did is cause they know I'm bashing the writers. Lore, worldbuilding, consistency, they're all shit. They're so shit, in fact, that I refuse to accept anything but the most basic descriptions of character personalities and looks as canon. Everything else can be settled in a fight between two or more posters where you can always claim that they've retconned and ignored stuff so many times that the word of an official employees has been reduced to the level of fanon.

Can't tell if joking or being real tbh.

On 12/9/2018 at 10:57 PM, Sepul-Coloratura said:

At this point, they have to pay the writers to watch almost 200 episodes. And it wouldn't work that well if they watch it just for obligatory work and not for fun. And if they genuinely liked it, they would have been watched it all already.

On 12/10/2018 at 2:37 PM, Bas said:

Not to mention it is impossible to catch everything on first watch. So they'd have to pay them to watch them multiple times, lol.

I wonder, maybe this might be a good question for the executive visit @Jeric ?

No one's asking them to watch all of them, but they should be well versed and knowledgeable of the show's universe and characters

image.thumb.png.4622a6b3a1d1faf82cd3b49a7538dd16.png

Just gonna drop this here

• Brohoof 2