Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler Best Gift Ever shorts???

FirePuppy

These came from out of nowhere. They're only available in China right now, but they should be uploaded to YouTube within the next two weeks. Hopefully from one of these, we'll know what Pinkie Pie was doing during The Hearth's Warming Club.

9.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg

• Brohoof 1

Uggghhh.  Now they're making pony shorts?!  I don't like it.  No sir.  I loved The Best Gift Ever, but I have an irrational, stubborn objection to it, and to these shorts, in principle, because I want FIM to just stay as the core season episodes.  I don't want a weird schedule of random things that I have to keep up with, not knowing where I'm even supposed to get them officially, not knowing if I'm missing things and so forth.  I want this randomness to stay in Equestria Girls where it belongs.  I think TBGE should have been an EG special to begin with.  I love EG, btw, in case that was in any doubt.  I don't mind EG having random release schedules and random lengths and so forth, but I want FIM to just keep the schedule.  I like knowing when we will have new episodes, and when we're on a break.  Right now, we're supposed to be on a break.  :baconmane:  It just, it really grinds my gears, that's what it does.  That's not to say these shorts won't be good, though.  But I still don't this whole deal.

• Brohoof 1

Hasbro has released the english version of 'Triple Pony Dare Ya'.

I'll have to say that, even when I'm already fed up with the 'rivalry' between AJ and Dash, I found most of the short funny. The apple bucking and slow flying dares were particularly nice ones for me.

The last part, when AJ complaints about how Dash wasn't being fair with her dares, made me facepalm. Compare this to the original rivalry episode for a moment, AJ saw Rainbow Dash cheating with her wings and took it like a good sports since technically they hadn't set a 'no wings' rule and only complaint about it when Rainbow continued to showboat her triumph. This short has both AJ and Dash daring each other with very difficult challenges, but nothing impossible or out of the rules, and I need to remark that it was both of them who set extremely difficult dares for the other, not only Rainbow Dash.

The established character of AJ is thrown away for a moment just to raise stakes which didn't need to be raised for Pinkie's punchline to work. Not cool for a writer who already did the same thing in the worst FiM episode ever.

1 minute ago, DonMaguz said:

I'll have to say that, even when I'm already fed up with the 'rivalry' between AJ and Dash, I found most of the short funny. The apple bucking and slow flying dares were particularly nice ones for me.

I actually kinda like their rivalry... Appledash?

• Brohoof 1

13 minutes ago, Midnight Solace said:

I actually kinda like their rivalry... Appledash?

For me, the last good rivalry moment for them was all the way back to 'Castle Mane-ia' and I naively thought that, by 'Buckball Season', they had grown from said rivalry.

I actually find AppleDash to be one of the worst ships for AJ, so you'll get no sympathy from me invoking it, sorry.

That first one felt kinda basic to me. I mean it's moderately amusing but it seems to lack the creativity of the best Equestria Girls shorts; that show actually managed to do a conceit pretty similar to this one a lot better. I think, because these characters are so firmly established, the writers should really stretch themselves to come up with unusual ideas for shorts. The other two seem kinda promising because of that, because at least they're not just a season 1 episode repeated; it seems like every new batch of My Little Pony writers cares less and less about the dynamic between Applejack and Rainbow Dash. 

I'm hopeful for this format, though, because I loved the first season of the Equestria Girls series so much and I'd love for Friendship is Magic to be similarly free to indulge in comedy and cuteness. 

Edited by AlexanderThrond
  • Brohoof 1

3 hours ago, DonMaguz said:

For me, the last good rivalry moment for them was all the way back to 'Castle Mane-ia' and I naively thought that, by 'Buckball Season', they had grown from said rivalry.

I actually find AppleDash to be one of the worst ships for AJ, so you'll get no sympathy from me invoking it, sorry.

9 minutes ago, AlexanderThrond said:

That first one felt kinda basic to me. I mean it's moderately amusing but it seems to lack the creativity of the best Equestria Girls shorts; that show actually managed to do a conceit pretty similar to this one a lot better. I think, because these characters are so firmly established, the writers should really stretch themselves to come up with unusual ideas for shorts. The other two seem kinda promising because of that, because at least they're not just a season 1 episode repeated; it seems like every new batch of My Little Pony writers cares less and less about the dynamic between Applejack and Rainbow Dash. 

I'm hopeful for this format, though, because I loved the first season of the Equestria Girls series so much and I'd love for Friendship is Magic to be similarly free to indulge in comedy and cuteness. 

I really wish they'd do another RD/AJ episode in vein of Buckball Season, that was a really nice episode that had them working great as a duo rather than a rivalry. Honestly, sometimes a part of me feels that, with the recent batch of writers it's starting to feel like they're going out of their way to undermine that pairing and actively trying to get people to hate it by constantly putting them at their worst instead

Edited by This Whomps

Just now, This Whomps said:

I really wish they'd do another RD/AJ episode in vein of Buckball Season, that was a really nice episode that had them working great as a duo rather than a rivalry. Honestly, sometimes a part of me feels that, with the recent batch of writers it's starting to feel like they're going out of their way to undermine that pairing and actively trying to get people to hate it by constantly putting them at their worst

I'm inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt because their relationship in this short was relatively positive. I think they must be sincere, because I feel the same way about pairing Applejack with Rarity but they're put together so often in the same antagonistic way that the writers must just not realize how irritating such hostile friendships actually are. 

9 hours ago, ExplosionMare said:

I thought the Mystery Voice one was cute. I also just really enjoy it when voice actor use their characters to make other voices. :kindness:

Thought for a moment Spike was in it too :mlp_yeehaa:

• 2 weeks later...

The escape room short was fun, but Pinkie doesn't seem to be very good at making such things. Very goofy. In general I just have a soft spot for when this show devolves into panicked chaos, but I'd like to see a somewhat longer and more in-depth take on these characters solving an escape room. That could be quite fun, though it might also force the writers to moralize, and I don't want that. 

The mystery voice one was my favourite of the lot - I need more of Applejack doing voice acting in my life, and it leverages the whole school thing better than most of season 8 did, which is yet further proof for me of how much more efficient the short format can be for worldbuilding. The school's announcement system seems kinda inefficient, however; you'd think Applejack would specifically demand the school stands by and then not pause for so long between announcements. But I guess she was bored. Also, were all of Applejack's voices done by Ashleigh? A lot of them sounded very different. Anyway, seeing the mane six with new interests is always welcome. 

Edited by AlexanderThrond

3 hours ago, FlareGun45 said:

I hear there are more pony shorts coming! Not Hearth's Warming ones, but more shorts in general!

If that does truly happen, chances are, G5 could actually end up a shorts series rather than a TV series. Note that G3 didn't have a TV series itself.

'The Escape Room' was silly funny, I'm still not a Pinkie fan, but she really puts effort in giving her best friends new ways to have fun together and that's amazing. Too bad she usually goes way over the top and she's the only one getting that fun.

'Mystery Voice' was great, I was surprised that it turned out to be Applejack doing the voices, one of them seemed to be a middle ground between Yona and Iron Will, I guess AJ was having too much fun to realize how was she messing up with the timing of her announces. Rarity, once again, showing her attention to detail and her willingness to join efforts with AJ and her completely different set of skills. Two best ponies right there! :mlp_icwudt: :mlp_proud:

• 1 month later...