Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What would be a better way to put cutie marks in EQG?

Sepul-Coloratura

There is a whole magic thing going on the EQG series, and there are magical necklaces, they grow tails and ears. They have their cutie mark shapes in their clothes, but it seems it doesn’t have the same significance like in FiM where basically a cutie mark is their identity and character itself. The whole magic things are not explained well either.

Do you have your own ideas about how to adapt the concept of the cutie mark into the EQG universe?  How would the show change because of it? I’d like to know your thoughts.

Edited by Sepul-Coloratura

I think using for clothes or accessories is a fair compromise. In the end of the day it's mainly use to identify the characters(yeah yeah "they already look like them" blah blah)

Having their cutie marks on their clothing/accessories makes the most sense given that they are humans after all and not magical creatures. I suppose some characters in the world of EQG might consider getting a tattoo of their cutie mark but that might be seen as excessive.

3 hours ago, Sepul-Coloratura said:

There is a whole magic thing going on the EQG series, and there are magical necklaces, they grow tails and ears. They have their cutie mark shapes in their clothes, but it seems it doesn’t have the same significance like in FiM where basically a cutie mark is their identity and character itself. The whole magic things are not explained well either.

Do you have your own ideas about how to adapt the concept of the cutie mark into the EQG universe?  How would the show change because of it? I’d like to know your thoughts.

Accessories (like a hair slide, say) seem to work - I do note though that in one of the recent EqG videos, they get their cutie marks on their cheek when "ponied up".

Many anthro versions of the ponies have cutie marks on hips or upper thighs, but the EqG don't seem to from the beach scenes.

I also think there are almost nobody in the real human world who would decorate their clothes with their own unique symbols like that. As an extent of the exception the world that there are purple, pink, blue skinned humans and having magical powers, there is no reason to be too realistic I think. I think if we use cutie marks for being realistic and to fit it in the human world naturally, a better way to serve that purpose is to have no cutie marks at all. Or there could be a moment where they all gather around and decide to make their own symbols. (they could copy it from the magical necklace)

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, Sepul-Coloratura said:

I also think there are almost nobody in the real human world who would decorate their clothes with their own unique symbols like that. As an extent of the exception the world that there are purple, pink, blue skinned humans and having magical powers, there is no reason to be too realistic I think. I think if we use cutie marks for being realistic and to fit it in the human world naturally, a better way to serve that purpose is to have no cutie marks at all. Or there could be a moment where they all gather around and decide to make their own symbols. (they could copy it from the magical necklace)

The only way you'd ever see cutie marks on humans is if there's a bikini beach party. Or are they all going to run into the bathroom and compare cutie marks? :P

It's not much of a stretch to imagine a culture where people create a symbol for themselves though and wear it. It used to actually be pretty common. Family shields, for example. Really the only reason we don't see it these days is because of the rise of consumerism. Everyone wears the same pair of pants. It wasn't long ago that everyone still made their own clothes. You wouldn't have to change much in recent history to see things go a radically different way. The E.G. universe seems much more personal. Not much is mass-produced and culture allows for a very strong sense of individuality.

Edited by BornAgainBrony
  • Brohoof 1

Remember in the climax of Rainbow Rocks when Sunset Shimmer transformed for the first time?  They could also just do that, and instead of giving the characters their cutie marks on their outfits normally, have the symbols be added to their outfit during their transformations.

Related image

Yeah, I dunno, keeping it to the necklaces and the "pony up" stuff seems about right. For all that makes Equestria Girls different from the real world, it's still meant to be mundane at a base level, and incorporating cutie marks in a way which calls attention to them would probably diminish that. 

Though if it leads to more crazy nonsense like the motocross competition in Friendship Games, I'm all for it. 

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...