Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do non-native speakers of any language think in the non-native language?

The Kaeya Simp

My native language is slovenian. I have no problems thinking or writing in English. Most of the time I actually use English more than my native language. Most of the websites that I visit on a daily basis are English ones.

• Brohoof 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I come from Norway and for me it's far easier to think in English than it is Norwegian most of the time as the rather large majority of my interactions happen in English. And so my wish is for me to have as much knowledge and understanding of English as possible as a language to make miscommunication and misunderstanding as a possibility as close to 0% as possible. It's kind of ironic as I end up more and more having to translate from English to Norwegian.

If you are able to think and perceive things in a different language other than your native language it's a sign of being at a point of not needing to translate between languages, which can take time in some instances. It makes communication easier and you don't have to slow down in order to translate from your native language.

Of course, there may be a few drawbacks. Syntax, sentence structure, grammar and vocabulary can and will be different/more limited based on how much you understand the language. You will probably never be as good as a native speaker of the language.

Our species is one of the most social ones, and having a firm enough grasp of communication is for me nothing more than a huge pro.

• Brohoof 1

My native language is spanish but I usually think in english or mixed with it. That is because english is not a gendered language. If I'm thinking or speaking in spanish I usually try to think of non gendered synonyms for the gendered words. 

Edited by Ittoni
  • Brohoof 1

I do sometimes think in English.

On 8/2/2020 at 3:59 AM, You said:

I curse more in English when im my flat with my us flatmate even though she isn't at home 

I can curse in three languages. Lithuanian curses are not that "strong" tbh, so the second level is English and then Russian (and one Polish word).

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

I absolutely do, I am dutch but I'm an English teacher so you could say I'm quite fluent in it. The question of whether I think in English depends on what subject I'm thinking about. When it's a dutch thing I'll think about it in dutch but when I'm either tyring to decypher my own feelings or I'm thinking about an 'english' subject such as games or a funny youtube video I saw then I'll think in English. Sometimes I don't even know which language I'm thinking in actually, it all just kinda jumbles into one. 

• Brohoof 2

On 10/26/2020 at 11:26 PM, Xe__or said:

I do actually; I think they say you're more or less bilingual if you think/dream in another language?

I would love to hear your inner thoughts :orly:

Spoiler

I am actually very scared of hearing your inner thoughts :sealed: No matter what language

• Brohoof 1

39 minutes ago, Funtime Splashee said:

I would love to hear your inner thoughts :orly:

Hide contents

I am actually very scared of hearing your inner thoughts :sealed: No matter what language

I'm already in your head anyway :orly:

2 minutes ago, Funtime Splashee said:

I know. All systems are critical to survival so don't touch anything :awwthanks:

That's where the fun is :oh_golly:

My first english dream was some years ago, and it included some war or something; I dunno why

• 1 year later...

I always think in the language I'm using at the moment. That's because I'm always in thought and I imagine to have conversations with someone. It's really not creepy, this is just me exercising and finding a good flow. :) Only stuff I can handle quicker are numbers. I calculate in my native language most of the time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...