Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Anyone Feel Born in the Wrong Time Period?

Will Guide

In a few TV Tropes words, Being born in the wrong century means not liking the time period you were born in.

While I'm content being born in the 1990s and living through the early 21st century, are there any people here who feel that they could/want to live in a different century, like the Victorian Age, The Middle Ages, The Golden Age of Animation?

Remember that it doesn't have to be 100 years away from today. Even if those who wished to have lived through the 1980s and other such decades in the 21st or 20th Century are allowed.

Edited by Will Guide
Link
  • Brohoof 1

No way! History is really fun to study, and I love listening to the music from the old times. Of course, I think it would be cool to hear what the music and instruments from Ancient Greece, the middle ages, Renaissance, Baroque eras really sounded like (and I'd love to have some authentic historic wind instruments), but... I realize it wouldn't just be a joyride for me to go back to these eras. They're all horrifically sexist, including going right down to music. Women weren't even allowed to play wind instruments in the Baroque era unless they were hidden behind curtains. It was considered uncouth.

That's really only touching upon one issue there. I'd be careful romanticizing these eras, even if you are a straight, white, Christian man, because even then you'd live a very harsh, likely very short life. For the rest of us, it won't even cross our minds. It's a shame, because as I said, I wish to see the music I love played authentically... But it's not worth living like that.

I was born in the 1980s though I wish I had been born in the 1990s instead or maybe even the early 2000s. That way, I'd be able to appreciate all the new things that have come up a lot longer as opposed to less due to my current age.

It's the same century, but if I was born in the early 90s instead then I wouldn't mind that. I'm born in the late 90s and don't like it much, not because I never "experienced" the 90s, that I don't care about and got to see a whole chunk of as a kid anyway. It's because I hardly relate to anyone my own generation.

I was born in the early 2000s, but I would have rather been born around the 1970s or 80s. That way I would be able to see all my interests evolve into what they are today.

Edited by Cash In

In an age that is focused on driving forward compassion, diversity, tolerance, etc? I think not. :proud:

And don't let anyone tell you that life is short... Because it ain't. :awed:

Off topic (slightly): A question for anyone reading this: I was born in early 1999. Does this make me a millennial? I keep on getting mixed answers on the Internet. :twismile:

5 hours ago, Envy said:

No way! History is really fun to study, and I love listening to the music from the old times. Of course, I think it would be cool to hear what the music and instruments from Ancient Greece, the middle ages, Renaissance, Baroque eras really sounded like (and I'd love to have some authentic historic wind instruments), but... I realize it wouldn't just be a joyride for me to go back to these eras. They're all horrifically sexist, including going right down to music. Women weren't even allowed to play wind instruments in the Baroque era unless they were hidden behind curtains. It was considered uncouth.

That's really only touching upon one issue there. I'd be careful romanticizing these eras, even if you are a straight, white, Christian man, because even then you'd live a very harsh, likely very short life. For the rest of us, it won't even cross our minds. It's a shame, because as I said, I wish to see the music I love played authentically... But it's not worth living like that.

I very much agree with you. I would love to live in Victorian times, to experience the culture (even though Caucasians don't have a culture... not really), the music, and the fancy attire. :proud: But pre-2016 (and especially back then) was a very different world. Sexism, racism, etc. were much more common (and tolerated) than they are today, so no thank you. :yuck: I'm comfortable living in the 21st century, and even this age needs drastic improvement.

Edited by Literatel

I've managed to be born in an era where there's advanced medical science, high-speed internet access, widespread secularization, and so far, China hasn't taken over the world and the 1% are only part-way to eradicating the middle class. Call me a pessimist, but it might never get better than this.

Why would anyone want to be born in the past? You can still do pretty much everything you could do then. 

1 hour ago, Literatel said:

(even though Caucasians don't have a culture... not really)

Caucasians have several different cultures, what are you talking about?

• Brohoof 2

1 minute ago, Gestum said:

Why would anyone want to be born in the past? You can still do pretty much everything you could do then. 

Caucasians have several different cultures, what are you talking about?

I meant that Caucasians don't really have a culture TODAY.

I would have loved having been born in the 790s and being able to go raiding Britain or mainland Europe in the 820s and 830s. But I do like the now better than the past, so much that one can do that does not involve death and destruction. Computer games are a good way for channeling that kind of energy. 

9 minutes ago, Literatel said:

Couldn't be more wrong. 

I remember a year ago at uni in sociology a Pakistani girl stood up and declared that Icelanders don't have a culture. She was laughed and shouted down. 

This is a very similar instance right now since you could not be spouting more crap than when she did it. If Caucasians don't have a culture, no one on Earth does. 
So let's not go pretending that some cultures don't exist when they obviously do. Your personal grief with white people does not mean that reality suddenly stops becoming reality. 

• Brohoof 3

11 minutes ago, Literatel said:

I meant that Caucasians does have several different cultures TODAY. There's the Swedish culture, the English culture and the Iranian culture for an example. 

• Brohoof 1

22 minutes ago, Gestum said:

I meant that Caucasians does have several different cultures TODAY. There's the Swedish culture, the English culture and the Iranian culture for an example. 

Sorry, I just got caught up in a massive political debate earlier IRL and I'm still... not all there...

39 minutes ago, Black Sabbath said:

If you're gonna be a troll, at least be a bit subtle about it. 

Sorry, I just got caught up in a massive political debate earlier IRL and I'm still... not all there...

41 minutes ago, JonasDarkmane said:

I would have loved having been born in the 790s and being able to go raiding Britain or mainland Europe in the 820s and 830s. But I do like the now better than the past, so much that one can do that does not involve death and destruction. Computer games are a good way for channeling that kind of energy. 

Couldn't be more wrong. 

I remember a year ago at uni in sociology a Pakistani girl stood up and declared that Icelanders don't have a culture. She was laughed and shouted down. 

This is a very similar instance right now since you could not be spouting more crap than when she did it. If Caucasians don't have a culture, no one on Earth does. 
So let's not go pretending that some cultures don't exist when they obviously do. Your personal grief with white people does not mean that reality suddenly stops becoming reality. 

But all I will say is I am in 100% favor of multiculturalism.

I feel like I should've been born in the 80s, or at least 70s so I could've grown up in the 80s. 

And anyway, being completely honest, my generation, or I should say THIS current generation, kinda sucks. :bea:

Edited by Lucky Bolt
  • Brohoof 2