Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Anyone Feel Born in the Wrong Time Period?

Will Guide

6 hours ago, Lucky Bolt said:

And anyway, being completely honest, my generation, or I should say THIS current generation, kinda sucks. :bea:

This attitude always irks me. I get that this generation isn't perfect, but no one is. It's just cool to hate on the current one because people like to view the previous ones with rose tilted glasses. 

In a couple of years, there'll be a bunch of Gen Z's saying their generation sucks and had you been born in the 80's or 70's you would think that generation sucked.  

• Brohoof 5

• 1 month later...

Sigh, I was raised anachronistic, outside time.

Was a huge age difference with my parents so I grew up with 20s banjo music or 50s swing. They were strict enough to define most of my life decisions anyhow, so that likely wouldn’t change if I was born in the Dark Ages. Least then I could walk into an actual shop to learn to be part of a trade guild. 

Short, brutal lives in the past? Well, maybe my life wouldn’t have gone so eventless as it has if I only had thirty years tops. Or if I didn’t live in an era where the How To was just assuming you magically knew where the pretaining knowledge was on the trackless internet.

Sure, i’d miss the Internet, but I can’t help thinking this much screentime is a bit of a mental poison. I’m a simple guy. I wouldn’t complain about the same farm chores day-in, day-out done at my own pace, the only sport being kicking a rock around the backyard or scribbling in parchment by candlelight.

Racism? ...well, like to think its only the psychopaths that bring that to bear against you. No bandits gonna stumble on your farm in the wilderness & wreck it just because they feel evil just then. 

Chances are, I would have preferred the 19th century, its own cons be darned. All I'd have to worry about was Napoleon's armies marching down the streets. Or the Union marching down the streets, since I was born in the southern United States. Basically, all I'm saying is, they didn't have to worry about doomsday devices (nuclear, biological, chemical, or otherwise).

Edited by heavens-champion

I always feel like I was born in the wrong time, every day of my life. I would have been happier born in the early 20th century, or for that matter any decade of the 20th century (except the late '60s and the '90s). I was brought up on a lot of '80s culture by my parents and would have been thrilled to see that decade first hand. I would be happy to live in the 19th century too. The customs, styles and general morality were far better suited for me. This present time is a wasteland of emptiness and insanity. 

• Brohoof 1

Just now, R.D.Dash said:

It's not like I am complaining, but It would be really nice to live in a cyberpunk future.

That wouldn't be so bad, although Chairperson of the Board being the equivalent of President/King/Emir/Whatever might be a bit much.

I honestly feel like I would belong better in the future. Evem if it were a nuclear wasteland thanks to the idiots in our government. But I'd really like to live in a future like Star Trek, personally.

Edited by ~Dusky~

17 hours ago, Dreambiscuit said:

I would have been happier born in the early 20th century

But why? Early 20th centurary were objectively worse than we have it now. You had things like racial segregation, world war 1, the spanish flu etc etc. 

I was born in the early eighties and considering my lifestyle right now, if I was born any earlier, I would not have had an easy time in society. Too far back in the past and I would have probably been burned at the stake by now for being a witch. I might feel lost in the current timeline and feel like I'm on a different wavelength every now and then, but considering the past, things could be a lot worse. As for the future, there's no telling what it holds.

I think I'm better off in the current timeline if I'm being honest. Far from perfect and I might feel like I don't belong right now, but at least I'm familiar with it. My feeling of being out of place is probably due to me not finding my place to settle in the world just. I'll get there eventually though. Might step on a few rakes on the way, or walk off the odd cliff here and there, but I'll get there in the end. That be life. :-P

In short, I think I'm where I'm supposed to be for now.

• Brohoof 1

ugh i dont like the popular stuff now i wish i was born in the 30's and was poor and then I would catch polio

lol jk, I'm fine being born in the 2000s, I don't see anything wrong with it

but I wouldn't mind being born a few years earlier (1-2) Just to be a bit older I guess.

Edited by Jakeduhcreeper

4 hours ago, Black Sabbath said:

But why? Early 20th centurary were objectively worse than we have it now. You had things like racial segregation, world war 1, the spanish flu etc etc. 

War, illness and racial tensions exist now just as they did then. It may take on a different guise but it's all the same. At least back in the early 20th century they had more going on to make up for the bad parts. It's a far more comfortable fit for me. 

41 minutes ago, Dreambiscuit said:

War, illness and racial tensions exist now just as they did then. It may take on a different guise but it's all the same. At least back in the early 20th century they had more going on to make up for the bad parts. It's a far more comfortable fit for me. 

Pretty sure the wars were killing many more people, the racial tension was far worse (as it was legal to discriminate) and the illnesses were killing in larger quantities...

I think you're underestimating the strides we've made since then.

6 minutes ago, Key Sharkz said:

Pretty sure the wars were killing many more people, the racial tension was far worse (as it was legal to discriminate) and the illnesses were killing in larger quantities...

I think you're underestimating the strides we've made since then.

When I chose the early 20th century, I wasn't taking a census of deaths. It's not about the numbers and the downfalls, it's about the good things; many of which are now extinct. Most of what others call 'strides' of progress, I call a phenomenal step backwards. But to go into all that in detail would only open up a lengthy debate, so i'll leave it at that and anyone can draw what conclusions they will. 

3 minutes ago, Dreambiscuit said:

When I chose the early 20th century, I wasn't taking a census of deaths. It's not about the numbers and the downfalls, it's about the good things; many of which are now extinct. Most of what others call 'strides' of progress, I call a phenomenal step backwards. But to go into all that in detail would only open up a lengthy debate, so i'll leave it at that and anyone can draw what conclusions they will. 

I'm more interested in what those good things are if you could elaborate on that part alone so as to keep it as non-controversial as possible!

Maybe if I was born in the early 90s or mid 90s yeah. It's not that I view those years with rose-tinted glasses, it's more the fact that I can relate to those years and the people born in that period better. I hardly feel like a late 90s kid, and I certainly don't get along with people my age either

Spoiler

Actually i sometimes feel a little bit lonely that i find it hard to relate to people my age. yeah i get that sounds silly but still

• Brohoof 1

7 minutes ago, Key Sharkz said:

I'm more interested in what those good things are if you could elaborate on that part alone so as to keep it as non-controversial as possible!

I honestly doubt I could considering that most of them are about the differences between those times and the times we live in now. People get uptight when anyone calls out the modern way of living. So I'll just keep to something simple and say I like the bygone fashion styles, music and lack of technology in the world.  

7 minutes ago, Dreambiscuit said:

I honestly doubt I could considering that most of them are about the differences between those times and the times we live in now. People get uptight when anyone calls out the modern way of living. So I'll just keep to something simple and say I like the bygone fashion styles, music and lack of technology in the world.  

If you were born in the early 20th century, you would have witnessed the evolution of radio and television: from crude spark gap transmitters to vacuum tubes and then transistors. :-D

• 5 weeks later...

Every friggin' day.  I've always felt like I belong in a different time period.  Sometimes I think I would have been happier living in a simpler time in the distant past with no money or corporations or internet.  Just your family farm and homestead.  But I know that in actuality, it would suck the big hairy meatball to live in a time with no air conditioning, no refrigeration, no toothbrush, and where one infection spells death.  I wish I lived in the distant future, in Star Trek times.  Once again, that's a civilization without money, not because it wasn't invented yet, but because they have long since evolved beyond it.  I think that's my main gripe: I don't want to live in a money-driven, economic society.  I always think back to Picard's quote in First Contact:

Spoiler

That's the kind of world I want to live in.  I'm just glad I wasn't born a Ferengi!  :laugh: