Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

science Would you enhance your body mechanically/replace it completely if it made your life longer/immortal?

碇 シンジン

To live longer: Possibly. I do wish to at least live long enough to see the 22nd century.

I wouldn't want my entire body replaced tho, just the important organs. And eyes with extended sensitivity into UV and Infrared.  :P 

• Brohoof 2

I dfon't know about immortality. Read Robert Heinlein's "Time Enough for Love" Immortality would be a horrible and lonely thing. If I was at the point of death, and was offered a healthy life with a full mechanical body replacement, I would say yes only if it was indistinguishable from living humanity. Then, I would choose this one!

The Major.jpg

• Brohoof 2

Just the thought of that was a dream come true to me when I was younger, but today, I'm more on the fence about the idea. I still think cyborg stuff is really cool, but I don't know about living forever as a machine. I'd love to feel stronger living longer, but I don't think I'd want to feel chained to the world forever. 

• Brohoof 1

My physical body is something of a transient vehicle.

I rarely dream of being myself, different ethnicities, genders, sexes, species. A celestial body, a microorganism or mere frequency of intelligence. Prey and predator. At ease with all.

Survival has never been an issue. Since I experience my existence as something of an everchanging cycle. Which is why I've never died within thousands of dreams. Death is not a worry, not a fear, but something of an intersection.

• Brohoof 2

I'd rather have a gene edit so I just stop ageing but I'll take an artificial body to transfer my mind into. I would want it to retain not just my own appearance though but similar function as well. I don't want to rely on having to charge myself by plugging in or changing out batteries. I want to still run, have a form of muscle to stretch, to breath and eat. My goal isn't to be enhanced beyond lifespan and perhaps memory recollection.

• Brohoof 1

I would definitely try this. While I see how people would view the practice as "playing God," imagine how much elderly people's (or people with severe illnesses or physical limitations) quality of life would improve if this technology existed. Now, I'd want my friends and loved ones to do the same thing, because it really would be lonely without them.

Edited by Prospekt
  • Brohoof 3

From weakness of the mind, Omnissiah save us,
from the lies of the Antipath, circuit preserve us,
from the rage of the Beast, iron protect us,
from the temptations of the flesh, silica cleanse us,
from the ravages of time, anima shield us,
from this rotting cage of biomatter,
Machine god, set us free.

What I'm saying is, the flesh is weak. I'd be a brain in a jar if it meant I could dick around and play video games for the rest of eternity.
  • Brohoof 1

I once read a Choose Your Own Adventure where you lived in the Classic Norse Era of Mythology. One ending had you find the Golden Apples that makes you stay young as you eat them. You lived for centuries all the way to Present Day, writing the story of your life and centuries worth of discoveries. Once you felt your time has come, you allowed yourself to die, leaving your life story to be published for future generations. That's how I would want to experience a centuries long life.

• Brohoof 1

18 hours ago, cuteycindyhoney said:

I dfon't know about immortality. Read Robert Heinlein's "Time Enough for Love" Immortality would be a horrible and lonely thing. If I was at the point of death, and was offered a healthy life with a full mechanical body replacement, I would say yes only if it was indistinguishable from living humanity. Then, I would choose this one!

The Major.jpg

This concept has been on my myind ever since i watched Ghost in the Shell and after that watched lot other similar interpretations of the subject where the mind and consciousness are not chained to the body 

There's nanomachines which are currently being researched. Memes aside, it's still under extensive testing and who knows if I'd be the lucky few, along with the rest of surviving family members, to have nanomachines implemented inside that can help restore dead cells, reinvigorate skin and hair, and even restrengthen bones, organs and brains. It's only a matter of when the research is completed.

• Brohoof 1

This sounds somewhat similar to the Phantasy Star game franchise where people can just create clones of themselves when their bodies are aging.

Personally I’d rather live a short and sweet Life in this Temporal Universe we inhabit than a long and needlessly drawn one.

Life in this Temporal Universe may be adventurous for some, but for me it’s Life after Death that’ll be the true adventure.

• Brohoof 2