Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

science Would you enhance your body mechanically/replace it completely if it made your life longer/immortal?

碇 シンジン

Longer? Most definitely. Immortal? No. Millions of years from now, the earth will become an uninhabitable wasteland. Humanity will become extinct. Why would I choose to live to that point where I'm the only one left and experience all of that? My life's lonely enough as it is. I'd shoot myself the minute I saw that reality getting closer.

• Brohoof 1

I would only really replace my major organs, like kidneys, liver, intestines, things like that with mechanical components. Possibly my heart too, I would likely try to make this body last as long as possible with mechanical components before moving my consciousness into a very similar robotic body that looks exactly the same as I do now and you couldn't tell the difference by appearance. I'd like to live very very long, but not immortal.

Edited by Califorum
  • Brohoof 1

As I have said it before already, assuming the immortality would come with freedom of pain and would remove the process of aging, I would choose it in an instant.

Y'all lack imagination. You have all the time in the universe to search life on other planets. You have all the time in universe to do whatever you want. You have all the time in the universe to learn all the knowledge the humaniy has attained across thousands of years. You could literally one day become a god.

And somewhere in that knowledge there would be a way to put yourself in an endlessly prolonged coma once you'd grow tired of living, eventually waking up after 2752th coma and seeing everything change in hundreds of thousands of years. The prospect of immortality is scary because we believe due to our mortality we need to be on the move and keep achieving things.

Scared of becoming alone? Devote yourself to genetical sciences and cloning. Humanity dies out? Create your own. Obviously no taboo would no longer concern you. Immortality would probably cause deterioration of one's morals after time after all.

• Brohoof 4

23 minutes ago, ShadOBabe said:

Who the heck wants to live forever? Gross.

Why is it so terribly wrong of people for wanting to live forever, if you don't mind me asking? 

• Brohoof 2

Might possibly consider replacing my eyes/ears if either goes out, and they have the technology. I would probably stop there. I would not unnaturally prolong my life I think, although if it's something simple, I don't know. But if I got to the point where my quality of life went way down, I would just accept death naturally.

41 minutes ago, JonasDarkmane said:

Why is it so terribly wrong of people for wanting to live forever, if you don't mind me asking? 

Imagine, everyone you know dying, while you're still alive. Immortality is as much of a curse as it is a blessing I think.

I don't want immortality, but I would do whatever I could to rid me of the medical issues I have.

Edited by Envy

No. I'm a firm believer in everything is temporary, and if I were to suddenly go immortal it'll be cool at first, but there's then things like leaving your loved ones behind and the very concept itself that you can't even die. All things naturally run their course in life, and at least for me life is short and should be spent doing as much as you can. But to its credit, it would be a revolutionary thing medically speaking.

• Brohoof 1

I absolutely would not augment my natural body with artificial 'upgrades' to prolong life. I have no desire to live beyond the natural human lifespan, and I wouldn't want to change who/what I am for any reason. The only exception would be to relieve a painful condition, correct a physical abnormality that prevents normal living, or repair something that's been broken. But these methods are more about maintaining what's already there, rather than changing the nature of life by making it better, stronger, faster or infinite.

• Brohoof 1

Yes, I would. I would do anything that wouldn't outright kill me to give me more time to explore my options in life.

• 2 weeks later...

I do not know about immortality because I would be very bored after the end of humanity or the universe and I would probably not have the patience to wait for something new to happen as that may take some billions of years of waiting assuming something happens at all (unless perhaps my perception of time is so greatly altered that my perception of time is something like a million years passing is equivalent to a day passing today). I would at least wish for extended life especially if that meant that I would more or less have normal body functions rather than simply being stuck to the bed or a chair.

Edited by Luna the Great of all the Russias

• 3 months later...

Ummm...that would be a big no. My body is just fine how it is thank you. And I certainly wouldn’t wanna be immortal. :yeahno:

Edited by Lucky Bolt
  • Brohoof 1

• 8 months later...

I'd snatch up that immortality chance if possible, but we all know that if technology ever gets to this point, the only ones who will be able to have it are the mega-rich. The US already treats the rich and famous like gods and this kind of technology would pretty much make them that in a literal sense. The rest of us would wither away and vanish while the ones who already have everything enjoy endless splendor.

• Brohoof 1