Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

MLP and Ghibli

ManaMinori

What if My Little Pony was given the greenlight by Hasbro to be made by Studio Ghibli? There’s a genuine magic to Ghibli that their animated films possess. Their strong suit seems to lie in the art of immersive worldbuilding and magical wonder no matter the age of the audience. In addition, the movies from Ghibli movies tend to give off an almost dreamlike or nostalgia feeling. Could you guys see MLP being handled by Ghibli?

• Brohoof 2

i'd love to see an mlp feature done by miyazaki, and it'd most likely be phenomenal,but it would also be something completely different, and seperate Ghibli tends to change lots of elements to the stories they adapt, which is probably the reason everything they do is a standalone thing and not a movie for an ongoing series like fim. i'd still watch it, and probably love it but i fear it would receive lots of hate by the community for being too different

• Brohoof 1

I'd like for something like that to happen though like Lord Valtasar said, not everyone will appreciate the change in style and could even hate it. Hasbro would have nothing to lose because the likes of Ghibli are the stuff of legend in many circles, but again, you would have that vocal group who would detest it. There would need to be a middle ground somewhere in order for such an idea to be feasible.

33 minutes ago, Ganondorf8 said:

I'd like for something like that to happen though like Lord Valtasar said, not everyone will appreciate the change in style and could even hate it. Hasbro would have nothing to lose because the likes of Ghibli are the stuff of legend in many circles, but again, you would have that vocal group who would detest it. There would need to be a middle ground somewhere in order for such an idea to be feasible.

you can't hope to please everyone, though. Just have to accept that people hate change, if something like this did happen

First, I'd question where Hasbro was getting all the money from. Say what you want about Studio Ghibli, but their movies aren't exactly cheap. For example, Spirited away had a budget of roughly 19 million dollars  (and that seems to be one of the less expensive ones). 

And while I'm not sure how much money Hasbro gets from MLP these days, I'll doubt it's enough that they're willing to throw away that amount of money on it. 

Secondly, I'd question why Studio Ghibli would accept the offer. It's not like they gain anything out of it or have a reputation of adapting the work of other companies. 

On 12/18/2018 at 12:31 AM, Black Sabbath said:

First, I'd question where Hasbro was getting all the money from. Say what you want about Studio Ghibli, but their movies aren't exactly cheap. For example, Spirited away had a budget of roughly 19 million dollars  (and that seems to be one of the less expensive ones). 

And while I'm not sure how much money Hasbro gets from MLP these days, I'll doubt it's enough that they're willing to throw away that amount of money on it. 

Secondly, I'd question why Studio Ghibli would accept the offer. It's not like they gain anything out of it or have a reputation of adapting the work of other companies. 

it's entirely hypothetical.

It would be very interesting. The background art would be very different, the drawings would be very different in a good way. But the animation would be a little choppy because everything is frame-by-frame instead of Flash.

I did watch a lot of Studio Ghibli movies in my Japanese class and let me tell you something, those movies inspire me to draw. There is something so simple, yet so magical about his work.