Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

G5's art style

Plonkett

For quite some time, there has been a leak mentioning that the show will have a "fresh/contemporary look" and "compliment Mane 6 (whatever those characters will be)", and showed pictures of various cartoons. However, among them were Gravity Falls and Star vs the Forces of Evil. This begs me the question, what will G5's art style be like? Will it have the "CalArts style" that many cartoons are using nowadays, or a Tumblr-esque art style? If so, then it will be a major step backward from G4's art style and will lack the expressiveness of the characters that it had. I really hope that the art style will be more appealing and timeless, and can inspire many more art styles.

Edited by vgmaster9

"Calarts" isn't even from Calarts but beyond that, both "Tumblr" and Calarts can be super expressive. G4 has to depend on Flash which is why in the earlier seasons, there weren't many different overly expressive faces, now it's much different. Calarts style and the Tumblr style are more expressive by default BUT most people have to give it time because, like G4, it will take the animaton company to get used to it and find it's flow.

How can an art style be a step backward? Was cubism a step backward from Impressionism? I understand not liking one aesthetic, but it isn’t really a step backward. I doubt anyone had an issue connecting with Wall-E. Great example right there.  

Anyway, the reason the FiM characters have over the top facial expressions at times is because of the natural lack of body language to communicate with limited ability to reflect dynamic movement. 

• Brohoof 2

This would be one of those "Do it maggots!" moments. Art style is everything. It trumps content from friendship messages to whatever those delusional souls define as a story. Change it to CommieArts and you'll have a hard time selling the rest of your half-baked shit.

3 minutes ago, Goat-kun said:

Hawk01.thumb.jpg.f69feb65ce8f808c1df590861a12217d.jpg

163.thumb.jpg.fc3951aeabd89b31a6ebdd330c7613e2.jpg

Gee, I dunno. Maybe when it doesn't serve you as well as the previous one.

I really don't like the Calarts style either, but you're comparing official artwork to fanart. If you want a better comparison of two official shows, look at the original Thundercats and its 2011 relaunch, and then look at Thundercats Roar.

6 minutes ago, Holly Jolly Ody said:

I really don't like the Calarts style either, but you're comparing official artwork to fanart. If you want a better comparison of two official shows, look at the original Thundercats and its 2011 relaunch, and then look at Thundercats Roar.

1561715841_MV5BMTQ3MTYzNjYwM15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzE0NTgzNA@@._V1_SY1000_CR0015451000_AL_.thumb.jpg.73d0e35ccfaa9e23a32f7917f21c68d8.jpg

thundercats_roar.jpg.3a502e01fd5e0f67659a77bf42a6aaef.jpg

I'm not an expert but that Berserk fanart looks better that this promo material :P 

11 minutes ago, Goat-kun said:

I'm not an expert but that Berserk fanart looks better that this promo material :P 

Yeah, it's a little sad when someone's fanart looks better than your official promo work. lol

31 minutes ago, Califorum said:

I much prefer the G4 style but hey, it all has to change at some point.

The Simpsons (show proper) would disagree. 

1 hour ago, Goat-kun said:

Hawk01.thumb.jpg.f69feb65ce8f808c1df590861a12217d.jpg

163.thumb.jpg.fc3951aeabd89b31a6ebdd330c7613e2.jpg

Gee, I dunno. Maybe when it doesn't serve you as well as the previous one.

I mean when you include tone and movement needs, yes there is an opportunity for dissonance between the style and a writing. It’s the technique and implementation that would make a style regressive, not the style itself. 

Just now, Califorum said:

Will never watch that show.

That wasn’t my point. Doesn’t matter if you watch it. You said the style has to change .... because .... reasons? I stated an example of one show where ten style has not changed in decades. There are many other examples of this even through multiple iterations of a franchise. Hannah Barbara is another example of a style remaining the same (lack modern relevance notwithstanding).

I’d say your post was flawed logic, but it was one half of an equation. 

• Brohoof 1

Just now, Jeric said:

That wasn’t my point. Doesn’t matter if you watch it. You said the style has to change .... because .... reasons? I stated an example of one show where ten style has not changed in decades. There are many other examples of this even through multiple iterations of a franchise. Hannah Barbara is another example of a style remaining the same (lack modern relevance notwithstanding).

I’d say your post was flawed logic, but it was one half of an equation. 

The logic applies to this show, not the simpsons, so thats why I said that.

Oh well.

9 minutes ago, Califorum said:

The logic applies to this show, not the simpsons, so thats why I said that.

Oh well.

So finish the thought. The style has to change some time .... because .... ??

Why? 

I'm not letting you off the hook here. If you are going to play the drive-by negativity game, at least put some humor there to make us laugh. 

1 hour ago, Jeric said:

I mean when you include tone and movement needs, yes there is an opportunity for dissonance between the style and a writing. It’s the technique and implementation that would make a style regressive, not the style itself. 

It can work. However, it's not so great for non-anthro animals you're trying to keep nice and pretty. Our current style is superior in this regard. Disney folks didn't use the good ol' beady-eyed-simple-shapes CalArts for Tangled or Lion Guard series. I wonder why.

4 hours ago, Jeric said:

So finish the thought. The style has to change some time .... because .... ??

Why? 

I'm not letting you off the hook here. If you are going to play the drive-by negativity game, at least put some humor there to make us laugh. 

There is nothing else to finish, simple as that. Things change, times change, thats literally all there is to it.

I see no reason to continue with something so simple, thank you.

Edited by Califorum

Just now, heavens-champion said:

In other words, you're not attached.

Not really, no. I never really was, personally.

I just hope G5 doesn't make the same mistakes this show has made, and I have hopes that s9 will be better than s8.

• Brohoof 1

On 12/26/2018 at 3:04 PM, The Nth Doctor said:

I wish they could cheaply replicate the movie's style - it blows the show out of the water on ever level

Toon Boon horses where at their best indeed :mlp_icwudt:

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)
19 hours ago, vgmaster9 said:

unknown.png

This is exactly what I'm talking about.

I thought the same thing about G4 for years. It looked ridiculous to me. And then I heard about the rise of certain 'aspects' of the communittmy and thought "you've got to be freaking kidding me.' Turns out I'm a personality before looks kinda person. Once I got to know them... gosh. I can't see an image without my eyes lighting up, and sometimes my heart skipping a beat. I care for them as deeply as any other friends, and get sucked into the experience in a way I'vd not felt from other shows. I think the same will apply to this. The richness of the characters is what made the show, not the art style, IMO.

Edited by BornAgainBrony