FirePuppy

General Media 1923 Works Enter the Public Domain This Tuesday!

Recommended Posts

That's right, starting Tuesday Jan. 1, 2019, every copyrighted media from 1923 will enter the public domain. This also means the oldest copyrighted material from then on will be dated January 1, 1924.

And of course, during Trump's years as President, we're gradually going to see all other 1920s works in the public domain, and guess who's going down the ship with these old works:

97bd82f0-c78d-4258-a00b-9115da5ceaed-XXX

And as long as Trump doesn't sign another copyright law, those copyright holders can kiss their works good-bye.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ATTENTION!

Felix The Cat enters public domain this year!

REJOICE!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, FirePuppy said:

That's right, starting Tuesday Jan. 1, 2019, every copyrighted media from 1923 will enter the public domain. This also means the oldest copyrighted material from then on will be dated January 1, 1924.

And of course, during Trump's years as President, we're gradually going to see all other 1920s works in the public domain, and guess who's going down the ship with these old works:

97bd82f0-c78d-4258-a00b-9115da5ceaed-XXX

And as long as Trump doesn't sign another copyright law, those copyright holders can kiss their works good-bye.

Yeeeeeeahhhh trust me there's no way Disney's going to let mickey or anything related to the character enter public domain.

Edited by Olly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

1 hour ago, Olly said:

Yeeeeeeahhhh trust me there's no way Disney's going to let mickey or anything related to the character enter public domain.

Mickey and pretty much every other Disney character is also protected by a shit ton of trademarks (they have 16 different trademarks for Mickey alone). So while he will technically be in the public domain, people won't be able to use him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

26 minutes ago, Gestum said:

Mickey and pretty much every other Disney character is also protected by a shit ton of trademarks (they have 16 different trademarks for Mickey alone). So while he will technically be in the public domain, people won't be able to use him.

And that's okay, since trademark and copyright are not necessarily the same thing. It's the media that's supposed to enter the public domain, not whoever's in it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The copyright expiration is not this Tuesday for Steamboat Willie, also it’s not the character that enters public domain, it’s Steamboat Willie. Important distinction. As mentioned Tradmark will cover the specific separate depictions of elements within the copywrited material and Disney will file TM violation on every non Steamboat Willie use of the element if wishes to continue use of. 

Basically a third party would be able to do a new Steamboat Willie but if a third party sells anything with just Mickey Mouse on it they will get sued, will not have the funds to defend against Disney, and Disney will win. 

Also, they could redo Steamboat Willie an due to a possible loophole, may be able to file a new copyright. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guys, stop being so pessimistic. It's been a long while since copyrights for really old media have expired, and

46 minutes ago, Jeric said:

The copyright expiration is not this Tuesday for Steamboat Willie, also it’s not the character that enters public domain, it’s Steamboat Willie. Important distinction. As mentioned Tradmark will cover the specific separate depictions of elements within the copywrited material and Disney will file TM violation on every non Steamboat Willie use of the element if wishes to continue use of.

didn't say that Steamboat Willie was going to become public domain this year. I meant that we are gradually going to see all other 1920s works end up that way, year by year, during Trump's presidency.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, FirePuppy said:

Guys, stop being so pessimistic. It's been a long while since copyrights for really old media have expired, and

didn't say that Steamboat Willie was going to become public domain this year. I meant that we are gradually going to see all other 1920s works end up that way, year by year, during Trump's presidency.

I didn’t say you said that. However the focus on one specific example without that fact was just plain dunderheaded. You always do that. You omit important facts and when someone adds the missing elements you say, “Nya I didn’t say that, nya”.  

That’s one part childish, and one part YOUR FAULT. Put more effort into your posts and those of us who know what we are talking about won’t have to pop in and do your research for you. I suspect you knew this and omitted it because it wasn’t as dramatic for you. Steamboat Willie has 5 years. 

 

You were also completely wrong about how you interpreted copyright vs trademark law. copyright into public domain = reproduction of the previously protected work. Meaning I can sell copies of Steamboat Willie. That’s it. I can’t make a Mickey Mouse lamp, or a new cartoon staring Mickey Mouse. You tried to  dismiss this when someone else pointed your error by omission out, and your rebuttal sucked hard and was very wrong to boot. I think the above is a fair assessment.

Be better, or make sure you qualify that you may have missed details and are not an expert, because you keep making mistakes and get all defensive when people point them out. Stop it. You know what you are doing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While Disney still exists, it is likely that we will reach a point where nothing will enter public domain again Least of all Trump who would no doubt kowtow to anything the media giants want. Mickey comes up again in 2024 though so I'm not sure that would even be his problem, since it will probably hang in debate long after.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 12/29/2018 at 5:00 PM, Gestum said:

Mickey and pretty much every other Disney character is also protected by a shit ton of trademarks (they have 16 different trademarks for Mickey alone). So while he will technically be in the public domain, people won't be able to use him.

The only way anyone's gonna be using Mickey Mouse, is by working for Disney.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

After losing Oswald the Lucky Rabbit back in 1928, Walt Disney himself wouldn't allow Mickey Mouse to be sold, even at a time when he was offered a lot of Money for him and Walt didn't have a dime in his pocket, because to him, "That Mouse is Family"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To quote from Saving Mr. Banks in Walt's Words

"Pal Powers, he wanted the mouse and I didn't have a bean back then. He was this big terrifying New York producer and I was just a kid from Missouri with a sketch of Mickey but-- it woulda' killed me to giveh himup. Honest to god killed me. That mouse he's family."

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.