Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Your favourite, national, historical event?

Passion

Pretty much what title says. I was wondering which historical event of your country you guys consider your favourite/the greatest/heroical?

It can have worldwide influence but can be an internal one only as well.

I'd love to hear some combat related ones, but obviously some countries are more known for other things than that~

Combat huh ? well, there's the spartans stand at thermopeles(hotgates) and a series of battles that lead to the fall of Constantinople, but my personal favorite is the battle for Troy(though you can't exactly call it historical, it is confirmed that it actually happened)

It is the day of the sovereignty of Iceland on the 1st of December. Back in 1918, after having endured a ton of hardship (the Great Frost, a volcanic eruption and the Spanish Flu), we finally became a sovereign nation, a kingdom in a personal union with the king of Denmark. 

• Brohoof 3

2 hours ago, Valtacio De la Creme said:

Combat huh ? well, there's the spartans stand at thermopeles(hotgates) and a series of battles that lead to the fall of Constantinople, but my personal favorite is the battle for Troy(though you can't exactly call it historical, it is confirmed that it actually happened)

Ah, Thermopylae. Naturally, there is a reason it's been taught in school even in my country, that hold is beyond imagination and just proves that great tactics outweight any sort of number advantages.

Greece is known for its rich ancient history, needless to say.

2 hours ago, JonasDarkmane said:

It is the day of the sovereignty of Iceland on the 1st of December. Back in 1918, after having endured a ton of hardship (the Great Frost, a volcanic eruption and the Spanish Flu), we finally became a sovereign nation, a kingdom in a personal union with the king of Denmark. 

That's an European Australia for you. Rather than taking part in conflicts of any nature, Iceland just sits on the side, eats popcorn and watches other hurt themselves while smacking high fives for not being dumb enough to live next to annoying neighbours and be dependant on them :D

1 hour ago, Yu Ziyuan said:

Historical event maybe the independence or maybe the winter war.

Though my favourite is maybe the kalevala 

Ah, yes, the great Winter War. Famous (or infamous in other circles) Finnish snipers. It's marvelous how much can a simple camouflage advantage achieve during a war. I know the general direction this conflict went and how humiliating it was for USSR, who should have won that war with enough preparation. Preparation that was never made. Considering their greed and treacherous violence, no regrets here.

Although I was not aware of Kalevala's existance, I wasn't aware it was a motivator for Finnish to keep pushing towards their independence. We had a person do it for us about 60+ years later though.

Me myself... Well, being centered in the middle of Europe, Poland has seen a vast majority of fighting. The war against Holy Roman Empire, three Mongol invasions (first two lost, but third one repelling Mongols once and for all from further progressing into Europe), endless Tatar raids and the so called "Swedish Flood". There's countless examples to pick from.

But there is one that I value most.

The Relief of Vienna.

A battle where old Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth proven to the world that we had our honor and would not leave allies bound by treaties hanging, what has been done to us many times. The battle includes the Polish-Lithuanian cavalry charge, largest known cavalry charge in history which had spread the famous Winged Hussars depiction across the world. There were many questions whether or not the wings were real, but in the end it was confirmed they actually were. Supposedly they were used for certain tactical advantages, which mainly had to do with psychological warfare. It must have been really a thrilling sight to witness over 18.000, mostly "winged" cavalry riders, including 3.000 heavy lancers, charge at the enemy under fire of cannons and into the Jannisaries. And Sabaton made a great work in commemorating this event. It depicts quite well how the battle had gone once the forces arrived with relief.

• Brohoof 2

3 minutes ago, Passion said:

That's an European Australia for you. Rather than taking part in conflicts of any nature, Iceland just sits on the side, eats popcorn and watches other hurt themselves while smacking high fives for not being dumb enough to live next to annoying neighbours and be dependant on them :D

You got that right

Spoiler

country-balls-iceland-bored.png

5 minutes ago, Passion said:

The Relief of Vienna.

A fellow Sabaton lover I see, glad to know. The relief played a major role in the development of history for the entirety of Europe and even the world if I might be so bold to claim. Sadly, Poland happens to be the opposite of Iceland, surrounded by dangerous adversaries, being in the center of everything. 

My favourite moment in history is more of a worldwide thing as opposed to being restricted to just the one country. It would be during the 1980s where improvements in technology, music, the arts, and more occurred that changed how we approached each of those things. Granted, there was also a recession back then but no one ever said history was perfect.

In my opinion the United States doesn't have much to be proud of with regard to combat-related events. But a good one is the country's impact on defeating the Axis powers. Although the extent of the United States' sacrifice in relation to the Soviet Union is overplayed in Western media it was still a heroic moment for the country.

For a cultural event I'd go with the creation of jazz. It laid the foundation for almost every kind of music I love today <3

Edited by Frostgage
  • Brohoof 1

One of my favorites is when American astronauts landed on the moon. It was an amazing feat accomplished in a very short time. It wasn’t combat related in any way (which is part of why I like it) but there was a Cold War going on and it made more of a difference than any act of violence could ever hope to.

The Day of Hispanicity, which is the anniversary of the discovery of the New World by Columbus. But the 2 of may is also very famous (the uprising of the Spanish citizens against the Napoleonic invasion that started the spanish independece wars).

Well the United States is (or should be) known for constantly getting it's nose in other people's business the past 70 years, but there are some good moments. 

When it comes to war events, VE Day. I can't speak so much good about VJ Day because of the events that would unfold because people had the dumb thought of "ooh! nuclear bombs seem cool!" and produced more of them even after watching the US pummel a country into the ground with them. It may have been necessary, but that doesn't mean I don't have any objections. As for the former, it is a triumphant victory against the fascistic Nazi Germany. I disagree vehemently with fascism in its entirety, so there you go.

Otherwise, I think it easily goes to the day that gay marriage was legalized everywhere. The right had a totally hypocritical and completely nonsensical argument against it that clearly had some underlying homophobia behind it (even if it was phrased as a "state's rights" issue, we all know that's totally not what it was about. They really don't care about that. If they did, then what's with their support of people with a total obsession with preempting immigration policies they don't like?). That should have been a unanimous yes, though, if there weren't justices with their own agenda. Which all of them have one, but in this case what I'm referring to are sick and hateful ones that think that LGBT people don't deserve rights.

Hundred years war, ww1/2 basically anything that got to do with wars. I like it how the many years ago wars affected us till  this day.

Edited by TBD

When the US pulled out of Vietnam. Vietnam was a war that the US had a hand in causing and it was all as pointless as a war could possibly be. So when the government decided to pull out of it all, for once, the US actually did something with a bit of intelligence and stopped contributing to the worthless bloodshed and thus stopped drafting innocent people to horror and death for no reason. Granted it was only a smart decision because being in said war was so stupid to begin with.

As a bonus, if Trump ever gets impeached, that will be an event I will cherish forever.

On 12/31/2018 at 11:27 PM, Frostgage said:

the extent of the United States' sacrifice in relation to the Soviet Union is overplayed in Western media

THANK YOU for saying this. So happy someone else see's it this way. I agree with the rest of your post too, I just hardcore agree with this portion.

• Brohoof 1

I don't really think there are any favourite national history moments I have?

Edited by Thuja
Just didn't think I had the right guy.

• 3 months later...