Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is Pinkie a better candidate?

ManaMinori

Pinkie Pie is quite often played for laughs, but is she a better candidate than Twilight for the position of Princess of Friendship than Twilight? Pinkie goes out of her way to make others happy, cheering them up and knows personal, intimate details about so many ponies and creatures, as witnesses through her party planning cave. She dedicates far more time to others in this beautiful way than she does for herself, but Twilight...kinda doesn't. She's still content with her close circle of friends and doesn't seem to push herself into getting to know much about others- at best, it's the bare minimum (Moondancer, Twinkleshine, Lemon Hearts, etc. even with the student 6). Would Pinkie be the better candidate for  the role of Princess of Friendships, knowing this?

• Brohoof 2

In Equestria, Friendship is not just about being a socialite, and it certainly shouldn’t be biased in favor of extroversion.

Friendship is presented in the show as a quasi-religious, philosophical concept/ethic that the more intellectual Twilight Sparkle better represents. Twilight also does a lot of advising others on friendship (see “Amending Fences”) which unfortunately doesn’t inspire the writers much. Even early on in the show she seemed to get to know other background ponies fairly well (“Bridle Gossip” has her saying “Daisy, we need to talk” as if she knew her personally).

I agree though that Twilight doesn’t “show” friendship as much as Pinkie. It’s something I wished the show did more. 

Edited by OptimisticNeighsayer
  • Brohoof 2

Yeah... technically... Pinky would probably be the better candidate. There is literally only one pony that gets on her nerves... and she knows everyone to an unnerving level.

• Brohoof 1

While Pinkie does indeed represent friendship better than Twilight ever could, Twilight has maturity which is something Pinkie lacks despite the latter having displayed moments where she shows incredible maturity. Granted, Twilight's maturity can be called into question due to some of her questionable decisions, but she does have a better track record which would count in this scenario. Besides, I don't think Pinkie would like the role of being a princess as it would mean having more responsibilities and not getting to have the kind of fun that she loves.

• Brohoof 1

I think what makes Twilight represent the element of Friendship is her mastery and balance between all other five elements. And Twilight is a better authority than Pinkie. But what I agree is Twilight doesn't quite expand her friendship that much. If MLP ended earlier like around season 3, for example, I would have thought that Twilight would spread friendship all over Equestria after all. But we've seen too much dragged out underdevelopment of her just for the sake of keeping her flawed and make stories about her.

• Brohoof 1

Pinkie goes all out to make others happy... as long as their way to have fun or be happy is what Pinkie believes it's happy and fun.

A Friend in Deed, Rock Solid Friendship, Secrets and Pies, Yakity Sax... these episodes are proof that Pinkie is too dense to get that not everypony enjoys her way of having fun, or at least not all the time, yet she keeps going until things break.

No sir, Pinkie is not a better candidate to be princess of friendship than Twilight.