Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Misunderstood episode(s)?

TheAnimationFanatic

48 minutes ago, TheAnimationFana said:

How?

Every time we see her acting out, the episode makes clear that it's because she's terrified that the Wonderbolts don't accept her. Even in the ending, when her fears are dispelled, it's phrased as "we didn't know about your past with this name. This is what we really meant." The conclusion isn't so much Rainbow learning not to be a jerk as her learning that what she thought was an insult actually means the exact opposite. For all that's wrong with the episode, I don't see how it exists to humiliate Rainbow like "Mysterious Mare-Do-Well" or something; even the impressions scene doesn't feel hostile to me. 

• Brohoof 4

2 hours ago, AlexanderThrond said:

Every time we see her acting out, the episode makes clear that it's because she's terrified that the Wonderbolts don't accept her. Even in the ending, when her fears are dispelled, it's phrased as "we didn't know about your past with this name. This is what we really meant." The conclusion isn't so much Rainbow learning not to be a jerk as her learning that what she thought was an insult actually means the exact opposite. For all that's wrong with the episode, I don't see how it exists to humiliate Rainbow like "Mysterious Mare-Do-Well" or something; even the impressions scene doesn't feel hostile to me. 

I always liked the smaller, easy to miss moments where, like, Soarin' would be called by what we later learn to be his nickname, or when we hear Fleetfoot call Dash Crash during a more sincere moment. To forshadow that they aren't calling her that strictly to be assholes.

• Brohoof 1

11 minutes ago, gingerninja666 said:

I always liked the smaller, easy to miss moments where, like, Soarin' would be called by what we later learn to be his nickname, or when we hear Fleetfoot call Dash Crash during a more sincere moment. To forshadow that they aren't calling her that strictly to be assholes.

Yeah, for all of its faults, there's a lot of detail in that episode. 

• Brohoof 1

Flutter Brutter, probably because it was probably meant to be a sympathetic episode where everyone get a story of the relative who fell on a bit of a hard times. What everyone got instead is a lazy couch potato that people wished to be dead in the most horrible way possible.

Edited by R.D.Dash
  • Brohoof 1

12 minutes ago, R.D.Dash said:

Flutter Brutter, probably because it was probably meant to be a sympathetic episode where everyone get a story of the relative who fell on a bit of a hard times. What everyone got instead is a lazy coach potato that people wished to be dead in the most horrible way possible.

Speak for yourself. Zephyr is one of the greatest things to have ever existed. =P

• Brohoof 1

5 hours ago, AlexanderThrond said:

Flutter Brutter," which is somewhat excessive but also finally sees Fluttershy not being afraid of everything in one of her focus episodes;

I relate to Zephyr Breeze's Fear of Failure and seeing him graduate at episode's end led to me graduating myself 6 months to a year later

• Brohoof 2

Somepony to Watch Over Me and Bloom and Gloom. STWOM makes a bit more sense since AJ was a bit OOC, but it wasn’t a truly bad episode for me. I actually thought it was decent. As for Bloom and Gloom, I feel like it was terribly underrated. I’m not completely sure why, but I know that I enjoyed it.

• Brohoof 3

For me, Newbie Dash was disappointing because all the time Rainbow Dash's goal was just to be in the Wonderbolts, that group doesn't seems to be worth it. Not just in that particular episode showed it all (ex. Rainbow Falls), but that the Newbie Dash was the definitive display of the Wonderbolts, disappoints me.

Feeling Pinkie Keen was bad because of the whole "you have to jump!" thing. If it wasn't for that, not being scientific would be fine. It's quite funny.

Most of the time, I feel the opposite. I think the episode wasn't that good, but people love it.

• Brohoof 2

I have absolutely NO idea why the fandom hates "Somepony to Watch Over Me." I disagree with the concept that AJ was even OOC, she was just showing concern for her little sister like any older sister would in my mind. In fact, I actually found this to be AJ's best outing in the series to be honest.

• Brohoof 1

9 minutes ago, ~Dusky~ said:

I have absolutely NO idea why the fandom hates "Somepony to Watch Over Me." I disagree with the concept that AJ was even OOC, she was just showing concern for her little sister like any older sister would in my mind. In fact, I actually found this to be AJ's best outing in the series to be honest.

There's concern and then there's babying. "The Washouts" pulled this story off 100x better.

• Brohoof 1

20 minutes ago, TheAnimationFana said:

How? It handles a similar message with more nuance, more subtlety, and more heart.

Most of what I got out of it was RD being a complete and utter brat. She did most of what she did from what I could tell because of how she didn't like Scootaloo not idolizing her anymore. Though to be fair Scootaloo was being a total brat also in this episode, by being so insistent about doing things regardless of anyone's disapproval, and even then I never was under the impression that RD  was actually disapproving of her actions due to a tangible concern for Scootaloo's safety, and I was more under the impression that she didn't approve of her actions simply because she was jealous that Scoots wasn't hanging out with her anymore, and upset with the fact she dismantled her RD fanclub for a Washouts fanclub. I don't really see heart here. In Somepony To Watch Over Me, I was more able to understand that AJ was only concerned for her sister. Sure, she did go a little too far, but I feel like that's part of what makes the episode good. She just went a little too far with her concern, and it seemed to resolve itself at the end.

As for subtlety? If that were the message you must be right on that one because I watched it more than once and still failed to see it over what I perceive to have been RD's real motives behind holding Scoots back. Maybe that was just me, I don't know, but I really couldn't even see any sort of similar message here. I see a message here that's actually more about jealousy and selfishness being bad things. In that regard, I feel like it was handled pretty wrong. Even then, that kind of subtlety isn't a good thing, at least in my opinion. I want to actually be able to tell what the episode is trying to get across, instead of giving me a confusing message that's difficult for me to actually interpret.

As for nuance? I don't see nuance in that episode at all. I see a guardian being protective for the wrong reasons, and a brat just completely ignoring it, and then the guardian going absolutely crazy over it because of how upset she was with the decision of the child to stop having a fanclub revolving around her guardian, which to me seems more like she did it out of jealousy than concern. Which to me is not a nuanced story. It's just a story about jealousy and self-centeredness.

Edited by ~Dusky~

9 minutes ago, ~Dusky~ said:

Most of what I got out of it was RD being a complete and utter brat. She did most of what she did from what I could tell because of how she didn't like Scootaloo not idolizing her anymore. Though to be fair Scootaloo was being a total brat also in this episode, by being so insistent about doing things regardless of anyone's disapproval, and even then I never was under the impression that RD  was actually disapproving of her actions due to a tangible concern for Scootaloo's safety, and I was more under the impression that she didn't approve of her actions simply because she was jealous that Scoots wasn't hanging out with her anymore, and upset with the fact she dismantled her RD fanclub for a Washouts fanclub. I don't really see heart here. In Somepony To Watch Over Me, I was more able to understand that AJ was only concerned for her sister. Sure, she did go a little too far, but I feel like that's part of what makes the episode good. She just went a little too far with her concern, and it seemed to resolve itself at the end.

As for subtlety? If that were the message you must be right on that one because I watched it more than once and still failed to see it over what I perceive to have been RD's real motives behind holding Scoots back. Maybe that was just me, I don't know, but I really couldn't even see any sort of similar message here. I see a message here that's actually more about jealousy and selfishness being bad things. In that regard, I feel like it was handled pretty wrong. Even then, that kind of subtlety isn't a good thing, at least in my opinion. I want to actually be able to tell what the episode is trying to get across, instead of giving me a confusing message that's difficult for me to actually interpret.

As for nuance? I don't see nuance in that episode at all. I see a guardian being protective for the wrong reasons, and a brat just completely ignoring it, and then the guardian going absolutely crazy over it because of how upset she was with the decision of the child to stop having a fanclub revolving around her guardian, which to me seems more like she did it out of jealousy than concern. Which to me is not a nuanced story. It's just a story about jealousy and self-centeredness.

I respectfully disagree.

Yes, Rainbow Dash was being somewhat egotistical about Scootaloo taking an interest in The Washouts (AT FIRST). Yet, when she goes to one of their shows, we can clearly see that she's impressed by their show and understands why Scoots likes them.

As it progresses, we see that her concern is NOT actually about being the center of attention, but about selfless concern for Scootaloo's safety. 

I say nuance, because, unlike STWOM, both characters have to learn something. Rainbow Dash learns to be respectful of Scootaloo's agency and let's her make decisions for herself, and Scootaloo learns about facing the consequences of her decisions.

• Brohoof 1

18 minutes ago, ~Dusky~ said:

Most of what I got out of it was RD being a complete and utter brat. She did most of what she did from what I could tell because of how she didn't like Scootaloo not idolizing her anymore. Though to be fair Scootaloo was being a total brat also in this episode, by being so insistent about doing things regardless of anyone's disapproval, and even then I never was under the impression that RD  was actually disapproving of her actions due to a tangible concern for Scootaloo's safety, and I was more under the impression that she didn't approve of her actions simply because she was jealous that Scoots wasn't hanging out with her anymore, and upset with the fact she dismantled her RD fanclub for a Washouts fanclub. I don't really see heart here.

She straight up says several times throughout the episode that her safety was her main priority and she didn't trust Lightning Dust as a good role model. And if what you're saying was the case she wouldn't even have saved her at the end of the episode, she could have easily just let Scootaloo get hurt from the stunt as a "life lesson". It's true that RD was jealous throughout the episode but the episode made it clear that it was a lesson she had to learn in the end as well, which she apologized for

In contrast Applejack is babying Applebloom for absolutely no reason, yet the end of the episode makes Applejack right in the end even though throughout the episode it makes it not the case just by showing how annoyed everyone was with her. And the only reason she's made right because at the very end of the episode they decide Applebloom needed to get caught up in an unbelieveably contrived situation where she absolutely needed AJ's help.

Edited by This Whomps
  • Brohoof 2

2 minutes ago, This Whomps said:

She straight up says several times throughout the episode that her safety was her main priority and she didn't trust Lightning Dust as a good role model. And if what you're saying was the case she wouldn't even have saved her at the end of the episode, she could have easily just let Scootaloo get hurt from the stunt as a "life lesson". It's true that RD was jealous throughout the episode but the episode made it clear that it was a lesson she had to learn in the end as well, which she apologized for

Her jealousy is that of a parent who's child is going through a rebellious teenager phase.

• Brohoof 2

9 hours ago, ~Dusky~ said:

I just thought her behaviour was excessive and not particularly funny. The CMC's reactions are quite funny, though. 

• Brohoof 1

8 hours ago, TheAnimationFana said:

Yes, Rainbow Dash was being somewhat egotistical about Scootaloo taking an interest in The Washouts (AT FIRST). Yet, when she goes to one of their shows, we can clearly see that she's impressed by their show and understands why Scoots likes them.

I genuinely think you're the one missing the episode's point if you don't think Rainbow was being self-centred after the Washouts show. 

Here's a sample quote:

Rainbow Dash: Uh... Heh. Sorry that was a little... intense. I just wanna make sure you don't get hurt. That way, you can follow in my hoofsteps. Heh. Everypony's dream, right?
Scootaloo: More like "follow your wingflaps".
Rainbow Dash: Same difference.
Scootaloo: [sarcastically] Thanks, super-talented flyer, for clearing up what I should do.
Rainbow Dash: Clearing things up is one of my specialties. Now, come on. Let's go rip up all your Washout posters into tiny pieces and throw 'em off a cliff.

I don't agree that Rainbow was being completely selfish. But she clearly has trouble conceiving of Scootaloo taking a path other than the one she sets out, even if it weren't harmful. That's the point. 

Rainbow Dash: I'm the one who should be apologizing for not acting like somepony who deserves a fan club. I've been lucky enough to have somepony who thinks I'm the coolest. But there's nothing cool about making you feel like you'll never be as awesome as me. I think we should cancel the Washouts Fan Club. Because I know a fan club that could use some new members.

She was acting like she doesn't deserve a fan club, because she was ignoring the possibility of Scootaloo doing anything other than flying. The episode's moral, which I do quite like, doesn't work if Rainbow's motivations really are exclusively selfless for 90% of the episode. 

1 hour ago, AlexanderThrond said:

I genuinely think you're the one missing the episode's point if you don't think Rainbow was being self-centred after the Washouts show. 

Here's a sample quote:

Rainbow Dash: Uh... Heh. Sorry that was a little... intense. I just wanna make sure you don't get hurt. That way, you can follow in my hoofsteps. Heh. Everypony's dream, right?
Scootaloo: More like "follow your wingflaps".
Rainbow Dash: Same difference.
Scootaloo: [sarcastically] Thanks, super-talented flyer, for clearing up what I should do.
Rainbow Dash: Clearing things up is one of my specialties. Now, come on. Let's go rip up all your Washout posters into tiny pieces and throw 'em off a cliff.

I don't agree that Rainbow was being completely selfish. But she clearly has trouble conceiving of Scootaloo taking a path other than the one she sets out, even if it weren't harmful. That's the point. 

Rainbow Dash: I'm the one who should be apologizing for not acting like somepony who deserves a fan club. I've been lucky enough to have somepony who thinks I'm the coolest. But there's nothing cool about making you feel like you'll never be as awesome as me. I think we should cancel the Washouts Fan Club. Because I know a fan club that could use some new members.

She was acting like she doesn't deserve a fan club, because she was ignoring the possibility of Scootaloo doing anything other than flying. The episode's moral, which I do quite like, doesn't work if Rainbow's motivations really are exclusively selfless for 90% of the episode. 

I feel like a lot of people on both sides seem to partially miss the point a lot of the time.

They seem to think that either Dash is completely selfless or completely selfish. When I honestly think it's supposed to be a mixture. In fact, the damage done by Dash's ego is what causes Scoots to reject her even after Dash's motives shift to being more benign. Which I think happens after the discussion with Twilight in the clouds.

Edited by gingerninja666
  • Brohoof 3

46 minutes ago, gingerninja666 said:

I feel like a lot of people on both sides seem to partially miss the point a lot of the time.

They seem to think that either Dash is completely selfless or completely selfish. When I honestly think it's supposed to be a mixture. In fact, the damage done by Dash's ego is what causes Scoots to reject her even after Dash's motives shift to being more benign. Which I think happens after the discussion with Twilight in the clouds.

Fair enough. You at least get the overall message that the episode is trying to make.

• Brohoof 1

The Show Stoppers got a really bad reputation that I don't think is deserved. People see the CMC not knowing what their talent is when it's clearly shown to the audience as annoying. I see it as kids just being kids. Most kids don't know what they want to do with their lives. I'm a teenager and I don't know for sure what I want to do with my life. It makes sense for the CMC to act the way they do.

Another common complaint is that the episode is boring. This just goes to personal preference, but I found them to be pretty charming. Not a lot of the jokes are funny, but the episode is cute and fun to watch.

The ending is also not well liked. I just really like cringe comedy and I thought the CMC's performance was really funny. It's also a reason why the joke ending doesn't bother me. The episode already had a very comedic tone, so a joke ending makes sense.

• Brohoof 1

The Crystalling!

Kinda clever how the 2 stories intertwine and Flurry is actually pretty cute despite being the main antagonist lol! Sunburst is also characterized unexpectingly and in a cool way! Also the start of the Sparlight friendship, which isn't used as much as it should! 

• Brohoof 2

27 minutes ago, FlareGun45 said:

The Crystalling!

Kinda clever how the 2 stories intertwine and Flurry is actually pretty cute despite being the main antagonist lol! Sunburst is also characterized unexpectingly and in a cool way! Also the start of the Sparlight friendship, which isn't used as much as it should! 

Not sure how misunderstood that one is though :)

As the first episode for GlimGlam as Twi's new pupil, it was fascinating to see her personality shift, symbolized by the new manestyle; it was also great to see spike NOT being nerfed for easy plot points, but being a supportive partner to Twi AND a good friend to GlimGlam both (also frequently handing out sage advice)

Flurry heart was a delight, that the birth (rather than creation) of a Alicorn had never been seen before was new lore, and we learned even more about the crystal empire and their relationship with the Heart artifact. Starburst isn't technically a NEW character (given we see him in flashback in the previous season) but learning how badly his life had gone once he left GlimGlam added more to their backstory (which wouldn't really get much more traction until the parent map). So all in all, a great episode.

Watching some of the bind reactions to this is also fun - for instance, Applegeek falling about in laughter at flurryheart's mega-decibel screams then their expression turning to horror as the Heart shatters.

• Brohoof 1

Newbie Dash: I could never fully understand why this episode got so many negative reactions. I mean, I can understand why people feel that way, but this episode explored a different side of RD and showed a more vulnerable side of her. She was acting like someone else in an attempt to run away from her own fears. Her character would have been humiliated if there had been no point to it, but they concluded it with a valuable lesson in the end. I always felt this episode made RD grow as a character. 

Fame and Misfortune (Some fans seemed to take it a bit too personal. The episode had a good lesson and it was interesting seeing the Mane 6  act under different circumstances) 

A Matter of Principals. (While Discord acted like a jerk, Starlight kind of set it in motion by wrongly assuming she already knew him (We're save Equestria buddies) and dismissed him. Spike knows DIscord well enough that he could tell something was wrong, but Starlight made matters worse by challenging Discord and keeping him out. The episode itself had a valuable lesson that you shouldn't just assume that you know someone (Starlight) and that you should talk about something if it bothers you instead of bottling it up. (Discord)

After "The Best Gift Ever" I feel more understanding about Discord's motivations regarding Starlight (Even though what he did was wrong) as it seemed the Mane 6 were leaving him out a lot of things. And then there was Starlight who was redeemed just like him, yet they involve her in almost everything.

Edited by JH24
  • Brohoof 4