Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Misunderstood episode(s)?

TheAnimationFanatic

(edited)
21 hours ago, JH24 said:

Newbie Dash: I could never fully understand why this episode got so many negative reactions. I mean, I can understand why people feel that way, but this episode explored a different side of RD and showed a more vulnerable side of her. She was acting like someone else or as a kind of a "know-it-all" as a way of running away from her own fears instead of confronting them. Her character would have been humiliated if there had been no point to it, but they concluded it with a valuable lesson in the end. I always felt this episode made RD grow as a character. 

Other episodes for me personally would be Fame and Misfortune (Some fans seemed to take it a bit too personal) 

A Matter of Principals. (While Discord acted like a jerk, Starlight kind of set it in motion by wrongly assuming she already knew him (We're save Equestria buddies) and dismissed him. Spike knows DIscord well enough that he could tell something was wrong, but Starlight made matters worse by challenging Discord and keeping him out. The episode itself had a valuable lesson that you shouldn't just assume that you know someone (Starlight) and that you should talk about something if it bothers you instead of bottling it up. (Discord)

After "The Best Gift Ever" I even feel more understanding about Discord's motivations regarding Starlight (Even though what he did was wrong) as it seemed the Mane 6 were leaving him out a lot of things, no wonder the poor guy felt left out. And then ther was Starlight who was redeemed just like him, but they involve her in everything.

I agree with a "A Matter of Principals". But, "Newbie Dash" will always be one of my least favorite episodes of the show. 

However, I see it as a "forgivably" bad episode, since the later Wonderbolts episodes made up for it and because it set up Rainbow Dash's further development.

Edited by TheAnimationFana
  • Brohoof 2

1 hour ago, JH24 said:

After "The Best Gift Ever" I feel more understanding about Discord's motivations regarding Starlight (Even though what he did was wrong) as it seemed the Mane 6 were leaving him out a lot of things. And then there was Starlight who was redeemed just like him, yet they involve her in almost everything.

Well, I can kinda understand why they exclude him... he seems like a petty jerk a lot of the time. Though Starlight also does some uncool things from time to time. 

20 hours ago, AlexanderThrond said:

Well, I can kinda understand why they exclude him... he seems like a petty jerk a lot of the time. Though Starlight also does some uncool things from time to time. 

You're right, but like you said, Starlight has her own problems as well. In many ways they're the same. Discord can be immature and act like a jerk, (Dungeons and Discords, Matter of Principals) Starlight has a tendency to use magic to solve her problems or to decide things for others without consulting them. ("Every little thing she does" or selling Trixie's wagon) But both have shown they have a good heart.

I guess my issue mostly is, that with Discord, the other Mane 6 shifted the responsibility to Fluttershy. While with Starlight her reform seems more like a team effort. 

Edited by JH24
  • Brohoof 2

5 minutes ago, JH24 said:

You're right, but like you said, Starlight has her own problems as well. In many ways they're the same. Discord can be immature and act like a jerk, (Dungeons and Discords, Matter of Principals) Starlight has a tendency to use magic to solve her problems or to decide things for others without consulting them. ("Every little thing she does" or selling Trixie's wagon) But both have shown they have a good heart.

I guess my issue mostly is, that with Discord, the other Mane 6 shifted the responsibility to Fluttershy. While with Starlight her reform seems more like a team effort. 

It just kind of irks me no one considered inviting Discord in "Best Gift Ever," especially since he handled being left out a lot better than with Starlight. 

Starlight falls on Twilight more than any of the other mane six, and I'd prefer to see more variety from both. I think they'd both benefit from spending more time with other members of the mane six. I think part of the issue is that the crew hasn't really figured out what Discord's identity is outside of being rude, while Starlight at least has some appearances where she's not bothering anyone. The closest was in the season 7 episode. I think the way forward for that character is to build on what was established there. 

• 2 months later...

-For some reason people take Over a Barrel seriously. The episode makes it clear from the start that it's all just a farce. I mean it starts with Applejack talking to a tree like a baby and ends with the Appleoosians throwing pies at the buffalos. Sure, a couple scenes have to focus on the story, but most of the episode is just a lot of jokes and wacky fun. 

-A Canterlot Wedding is dislike by a lot of people, and while I do get it, I think there's a lot of great stuff in it. I love everything having to do with Twilight, the sense of scale higher than anything before, the episode strikes the best balance of any two parter between drama and fun, Queen Chrysalis is a total ham and it's amazing, and the scene of everyone abandoning Twilight is one of the best of the entire show.

-I still have no idea why people think Just for Sidekicks is unfair towards Spike. He knows that he can't take care of the pets, yet he convinces the mane six to let him take care of them just to get some jewels. Some people may argue this is out of character for Spike, but I don't think so. He's still a kid and he has been shown to be greedy.

-I'm not exactly going to defend the story of Spike at Your Service, but I will say that I think it overshadows some of the best comedy of season 3.

-Trade Ya seems to be disliked by some people because of the ending. Yeah, the ending is dumb and bad, but I like the rest of the episode. Sure, none of the stories are developed, but the episode goes for a "day in the life" kind of feel so I think they fit.

-The Cutie Re-Mark is my second favorite two parter because of how much fun it is. People rag on the episode for not developing any of the alternate futures, but why would it develop futures that we know will never happen? I find what we do see from the alternate futures to be really interesting and the episode as whole is more focused on just being entertaining rather than world building. As for Starlight, I like how her initial reformation is handled for the most part. Her backstory is one of the better ones by reformed villain standards and Twilight taking Starlight under her wing is more strategic than people give it credit for.

-I find Newbie Dash to be one of the few highlights of season 6 and my reasoning has already been explained by other people

• Brohoof 1

On 3/25/2019 at 3:00 PM, bigbertha said:

but why would it develop futures that we know will never happen? 

Because that would be more fun than seeing just a brief sliver of them just to enhance the drama. 

On 3/25/2019 at 3:00 PM, bigbertha said:

-For some reason people take Over a Barrel seriously. The episode makes it clear from the start that it's all just a farce. I mean it starts with Applejack talking to a tree like a baby and ends with the Appleoosians throwing pies at the buffalos. Sure, a couple scenes have to focus on the story, but most of the episode is just a lot of jokes and wacky fun. 

To me that's the problem. I think that episode's approach is kinda flippant and insensitive. 

• Brohoof 1

• 4 years later...

Every Little Thing She Does - There's a difference between malicious intent and desperation. Many people label Starlight's actions in this episode as the former when it's actually the latter (in this case, desperation for Twilight's approval, kind of like Starlight's "Lesson Zero").

• Brohoof 2

I'd still say Flutter Brutter. Yes, Zephyr Breeze was very obnoxious for a good chunk of the episode, but I liked the direction of it. You know, having a guy who's lost all motivation to do anything after failing so many times, is a pretty heavy subject and I thought it was neat idea for the show to approach. :adorkable:

• Brohoof 1