Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How would you react to a Live Action MLP movie?

DivineMist1000

I knew that this was going to enter discussion after that...perplexing teaser for the Sonic the Hedgehog movie.

While I'm willing to give anything the benefit of the the doubt as far as movies go, given the track record of live action conversions of children's media in the past, I wouldn't be too hopeful to say the least. That said, it would take quite a special type of simpleton to butcher the movie on the same level that they are seemingly going to with Sonic.

Edited by Rarity the Supreme
  • Brohoof 3

I wouldn't be too optimistic going in to watch it, but I would still give it a fair shot. Live action/CGI movies based off of cartoons have the bad rap they have for a reason, but I feel that any movie can be good so long as the crew behind it cares for the quality of said movie. 

• Brohoof 2

4 minutes ago, Merry Brony 2A said:

Wow, I just watched the Sonic trailer. I would have thought it was a joke. Just as expected. Generic action stuff with a cg character crammed in. We've seen it a hundred times. Garbage.

I don't what that THING is, but it isn't Sonic!

• Brohoof 2

Well, if the CGI is handled really well and they don't go over the top with other special effects, I'd be all for a live action MLP movie.

• Brohoof 2

Depends a lot on the who and the how. There are so many adaptations of cartoons where the CGI just looks atrocious, with a few gems that were surprisingly well-done. Personally I'd rather see what Jim Henson's Creature Shop could do with the idea.

Were it a "Ponies on Earth" story though I wonder if the "Roger Rabbit" approach would be better than making everything look photorealistic?

Edited by BornAgainBrony
  • Brohoof 1

Seeing how well some of the Pokémon looks in Detective Pikachu movie, I’m more open to the idea :fluttershy:

Pokemon-Detective-Pikachu-Trailer.jpg

Then again, there’s the issue with interacting with humans. Pokémon works because it’s part of the source material already, but ponies not so much, and we’ve seen how they end most of the time :yuck:

Edited by Steve Piranha
  • Brohoof 1

I wouldn't have a lot of faith in it as CGI films are often janky and end up ruining the story for me to an extent, however if it's done in a good manner and has a compelling story while not butchering the characters with bad CGI, it probably wouldn't be terrible, I think it would be either really good or really bad overall

• Brohoof 1

I'd think it'd be the stupidest thing ever. Also, it's more than likely the characters would be humans instead of ponies on Earth. Kinda like a live action version of Equestria Girls.

• Brohoof 2

Well, awhile back, I took a whack at making some really detailed, high quality 3D models of several of the ponies.  I did a really good job on them if I do say so myself, but when I unveiled them, the responses were mostly "uncanny valley" this and "creepy" that, so... don't expect a live action/CGI pony movie to be well-received.

Now, if they did it Roger Rabbit style, holy crap I could really get behind that!  Why don't they try something like that again?!  Just imagine Equestria being connected to the human world, like Equestria Girls, except it's the REAL real world, the live action world, and it'd be just like Toon Town in Roger Rabbit.  All these 2-D Flash ponies running around in the real world--that'd be the tops, man.  I mean, it would just be StormXF3's youtube channel on the big screen.  That would be the greatest thing EVER!!

• Brohoof 2

I would rather it be directed by the same guy who did the BUmblebee Movie: Travis Knight.  He did a great job with that movie, and I Think he would be perfect for a MLP movie.  Mostly a movie that's focused on Princess Celestia.

I talked about it in my blog about my idea for a Princess Celestia Live Action movie.

• Brohoof 1