Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

health Heat stroke or hypothermia?

KillerKingBakudan

It... depends, to be truthful. Both are extremely unpleasant, but the level of pain can be worsened through different methods. If both were merely through extremely hot/cold air, then I might have to select hypothermia. However, if I were to get hypothermia by being thrown into the Antarctic waters, then I might have to select heat stroke instead. I may detest high temperatures, but there is certainly such thing as too cold... especially when you're submerged in seawater.

• Brohoof 1

I think both would be awful! :please: But I'll go with heat stroke, since I find cold weather in general worse than hot weather. Especially since the cold seems to get more and more intolerable each year... :mlp_blink:

• Brohoof 3

2 hours ago, KillerKingBakudan said:

Obviously, neither is good for you. But if you were about to end up in either situation, and it was completely unavoidable, which one would you choose?

I sort of don't have to choose. I had heat exhaustion once. It's not full heat stroke, but  it's not fun. When I was a kid I went up in the attic, of course I decided on this little expedition during summer. I was looking around at all the cool old junk when I started to feel really weird. I actually thought it got cooler since I stopped sweating. I felt like heat was shooting out of my eyes though. I managed to climb down out of the attic without killing myself. Next thing I knew my mom was putting me in the bathtub and showering me with cold water. She since told me it was only a little cool, but it felt ice cold to me. I had to drink a lot of water, and my mom wouldn't let me out of the house (and air conditioning) for a week!

Guess who was never allowed in the attic again? 

Back on an edit. It sounds like I spent my life risking death! I was just telling someone how I flipped a canoe and almost drowned at a company picnic, and I've mentioned a few times here how I had a near fatal car accident a couple of years ago.

Yikes!

Another edit. I had second degree sunburn once too. OUCH, was that horrible! I was six, and I remember it like it was last year!

Edited by cuteycindyhoney
  • Brohoof 1

Both are terrible and I've experienced both to some extent in my life, but I would certainly choose to be wasted by hypothermia rather than a heat stroke any day. It's a whole lot less suffering compared to having your body over heating. In fact, you could probably make it quite comfortable before you lose consciousness by continuously adding more and more layers of clothing (if you have the chance). As for a heat stroke, there's only so many layers you can take off until you've got nothing on left and you're still having a difficult time maintaining homeostasis. But yeah,  the more I think about it actually. hypothermia doesn't seem like the worst way to go by a long shot. Next to passing in my sleep, drowning, or being hit by a passing car so fast that you won't feel anything, I'd probably say that perishing via extreme cold would probably be at the top of my list in ways I wish to go.

• Brohoof 1

I would far prefer to cook than freeze, any day! I love heat, even when it’s extreme. I don’t want to be in a deadly situation with it but the cold is far more uncomfortable. If it’s even slightly below 60 degrees F, I get the chills.   

5 hours ago, cuteycindyhoney said:

I actually thought it got cooler since I stopped sweating.

Once you stop sweating that's a really bad sign. I thought that was indicative of full-on heat stroke. Bad news in any case. I had some nasty run-ins with heat when I lived in the Midwest (that humidity was murder!) and it was awful, but not as far gone as you had it. At least i was still sweating.

P.S.~ You gotta take it easy, girl! :twismile:

Edited by Dreambiscuit
  • Brohoof 1

I've already had to deal with some terrible heat in my country. That being said, I would easily choose hypothermia over heat stroke.

• Brohoof 1

10 hours ago, Dreambiscuit said:

I would far prefer to cook than freeze, any day! I love heat, even when it’s extreme. I don’t want to be in a deadly situation with it but the cold is far more uncomfortable. If it’s even slightly below 60 degrees F, I get the chills.   

Once you stop sweating that's a really bad sign. I thought that was indicative of full-on heat stroke. Bad news in any case. I had some nasty run-ins with heat when I lived in the Midwest (that humidity was murder!) and it was awful, but not as far gone as you had it. At least i was still sweating.

P.S.~ You gotta take it easy, girl! :twismile:

Mom insists it was a full heat stroke. I don't remember, but she said she took me the the doctor when she had me cooled down. The claim is I was out of it, and sort of acting weird. I was only eight.

• Brohoof 1

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Probably heat stroke, as hypothermia will definitely kill you if left untreated and can do so quickly, whereas, while heat stroke is highly unpleasant, it's only in extreme cases that it is lethal.