Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

$2000 Stretch Goal - New Ranks Are Coming

Jeric

Other than the Staff Ranks, there has been no real change to the general rank system since I joined this site in 2014. Almost five years. Since that time we have doubled the amount of episodes and seen a massive amount of world building and new races in the show. Our old system needs to be revised to reflect this. This isn't just my view, updating the rank system has long been requested by the community. Well folks ... it is happening. This will be a huge effort and we have already started mapping it out. The new Rank System will be rolled out in fun phases with the following changes. 

New Ranks based on new races. 

At present I will only confirm TWO races - one just released in season 8. The Kirin and to be added AFTER the Changeling rank will be one created to represent the reformed Changeling design. 

Here is the Kirin Rank Badge

kirin_rank2.png

The ability to lock in your preferred rank. 

By default our system will continue to promote you through the ranks based on post count. If you reach one and like it you are unable to lock that badge in. I have found a way around this limitation that will now allow you to stay at a rank or even go back to a previous rank if you decide you like this better. More information on how this is done will be posted soon. 

Will this change the post counts needed to unlock specific ranks?

Yes. We can't just start adding stuff about the current Unicorn limit. We need to fit things in depending on how many we add. 

What if you add a rank that is lower than my current one?

You can request to go to that rank. Alternatively some ranks will be revealed surrounding an event and who know's .... maybe everyone may be an honorary member of that rank for a week. ;)

Will any ranks be going away?

Yes. Some ranks like Squirrel, Butterfly, and Bird don't seem to fit the later ranks. Those will be going away. They may be replaced by other races in Equestria. 

Will "x character" be a --

NO! Don't ask for a character, or a specific character's cutie mark. I will completely ignore you. I hate to be that guy, but this whole thing would have been changed years ago but staff always wanted their own personal thing and it  made it absolutely untenable. Admins know what's up and so does some of my event team. Self indulgence is not part of the process. 

Will you take recommendations?

On a species, yes. That said, I have pinned down enough to fill out the ranks nicely so chances are that I already have you covered. That said, if you want to see something in the future let me know. The good news is that we have sooooo many suggestions over the years that I was able to plan based on them. 

Will there be anything higher than Unicorn?

Yes. Yes there will be. ;)

• Brohoof 17

• The topic was featured
15 minutes ago, Jeric said:

By default our system will continue to promote you through the ranks based on post count. If you reach one and like it you are unable to lock that badge it. I have found a way around this limitation that will now allow you to stay at a rank or even go back to a previous rank if you decide you like this better. More information on how this is done will be posted soon

That would be great. By the time I made my Changeling OC, I was already a rank higher than Changeling and which I could have stuck with that rank to reflect my OC.

• Brohoof 2

RIP squirrel... :( My favorite rank...

Apart from that, great news! :D The kirin rank badge is awesome, and I'm sure the other ones will be too! :yay:

Edited by Tacodidra
  • Brohoof 8

This already sounds like a wonderful new addition though I can only see the results on my end when I check out my profile as that's where my 'forum' rank is which got overridden by what I have right now, Stage Pony. While it's sad that some ranks will be retired, new ones are necessary to keep things excited.

A rank above unicorn you say? Hmmm... No, I can't think of what could be above a unicorn.

• Brohoof 4

6 hours ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

Fabulous Unicorn? :mlp_grin:/:mlp_smug:

Rarity I presumed?  But I always thought it would an Alicorn. 

• Brohoof 3

Just now, MidnightFire1222 said:

Would it be possible to have the ability to change you rank image as you earn them through the post goals you reach? Or is that something that's being implemented and I just missed it in the original post?

7 hours ago, Jeric said:

By default our system will continue to promote you through the ranks based on post count. If you reach one and like it you are unable to lock that badge in. I have found a way around this limitation that will now allow you to stay at a rank or even go back to a previous rank if you decide you like this better. More information on how this is done will be posted soon. 

• Brohoof 1

This is something that I'm excited to see implemented. I will miss the bird rank, especially after Jeric pranked us by temporarily changing it to 'birb', a few months back. 

• Brohoof 4

12 hours ago, Jeric said:

Will there be anything higher than Unicorn?

Yes. Yes there will be. ;)

What is this heresy?

• Brohoof 1

8 hours ago, MidnightFire1222 said:

Would it be possible to have the ability to change you rank image as you earn them through the post goals you reach? Or is that something that's being implemented and I just missed it in the original post?

As WillGuide confirmed yes. It may be a more manual process at first but eventually it should work like Discord where you can change roles. The obvious limitation would be only being able to change to ranks you’ve already unlocked. 

Also, I forgot to mention this but Pony badge will be renamed Earth Pony. Another occasional request I’ve seen over the years. 

• Brohoof 1

22 hours ago, Jeric said:

NO!

Is Tom considered as a character?

wwVNt9j.png

jk jk

There's a workaround - Since Muffin rank is not being mentioned among ranks that may be removed, it may be possible to have ranks representing 'items'. Therefore, one can recommend a rank with a [ picture ], [ drawing ] or a [ photo ] depicting desired character, thus bypassing the limitation.

wwVNt9j.png

jk jk

There's an Easter Egg - If you'll get the 'Pink Fluffy Unicorn' subscription and then request a badge with a character, Jeric will say 'YES!'.

wwVNt9j.png

Okay I'm done. :love:

The planned changes and features sound really promising. It will be interesting to see that implemented. :ticking:

• Brohoof 3

3 hours ago, Rikifive said:

Is Tom considered as a character?

wwVNt9j.png

jk jk

There's a workaround - Since Muffin rank is not being mentioned among ranks that may be removed, it may be possible to have ranks representing 'items'. Therefore, one can recommend a rank with a [ picture ], [ drawing ] or a [ photo ] depicting desired character, thus bypassing the limitation.

wwVNt9j.png

jk jk

There's an Easter Egg - If you'll get the 'Pink Fluffy Unicorn' subscription and then request a badge with a character, Jeric will say 'YES!'.

wwVNt9j.png

Okay I'm done. :love:

The planned changes and features sound really promising. It will be interesting to see that implemented. :ticking:

we already have a tom rank, and a cauldron one, so items aren't ruled out, as long as you're willing to wait for Halloween Nightmare Night

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, Treeglow Flicker said:

A kirin rank badge?! :mlp_pinkie:

Must. Get!

you might not like the price that comes with getting it, 

oh well, it will be worth it

• Brohoof 1

On 1/6/2019 at 12:03 PM, Jeric said:

Other than the Staff Ranks, there has been no real change to the general rank system since I joined this site in 2014. Almost five years. Since that time we have doubled the amount of episodes and seen a massive amount of world building and new races in the show. Our old system needs to be revised to reflect this. This isn't just my view, updating the rank system has long been requested by the community. Well folks ... it is happening. This will be a huge effort and we have already started mapping it out. The new Rank System will be rolled out in fun phases with the following changes. 

NO! Don't ask for a character, or a specific character's cutie mark. I will completely ignore you. I hate to be that guy, but this whole thing would have been changed years ago but staff always wanted their own personal thing and it  made it absolutely untenable. Admins know what's up and so does some of my event team. Self indulgence is not part of the process. 

I vaguely remember the last effort in this direction. I remember walking away from it because of how... weird the discussion got. People were *really* attached to the squirrel, for some reason. :lostit:

I'm curious as to the mechanism for locking the rank in place. I, personally, was thinking of leveraging the then-new Award system to do it, but didn't get around to figuring out *how* before I left staff.

Awwww. No Fleur de Lis rank? :Fleur:

• Brohoof 1

On 1/7/2019 at 5:18 AM, Cash In said:

This is something that I'm excited to see implemented. I will miss the bird rank, especially after Jeric pranked us by temporarily changing it to 'birb', a few months back. 

we can still have birbs, only this time they may be of the griffon variety:mlp_wink:

• Brohoof 1

2 minutes ago, Phasereale said:

I'm so very excited for the new badges!  I do got a question though! How many posts will me have to make in order to get the Kirin badge?

:):squee:

unfortunately, i can't tell you that

• Brohoof 2

Higher than unicorn? Just how high? :ooh:

Maybe a staffer could confirm this but I think there used to be a rank for higher than unicorn a long time ago, like back in 2013. I think it was silver (or was it gold?)-colored...

Edited by SparklingSwirls
  • Brohoof 1