Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is MLP:FiM Really That Girly?

Kenshin's girl

Honestly, I only find the intro song "girly." Other than that, I don't think I find FiM girly at alI. I personally believe that Friendship Is Magic is one of the best tv shows ever made, and I’m sure most of you guys can agree on that. First, it’s no strange thing when it comes to action and adventure, I mean quite often you see the Mane 6 fighting against a new enemy or threat, and the way they use the magic of friendship to win in the end never ceases to amaze us all. Second, the show always showcases some amazing and fascinating new characters, not to mention the Mane 6 themselves are really interesting as well. Just look at Twilight Sparkle, at first, she never knew the first thing about friendship, let alone cared about it, but look at her now, the “Princess of Friendship”, thanks to her friends who believed in her. And third, and most important of all is the main lesson, this show has helped me, and probably dozens others, learn more about friendship then we ever even realized, just like Twilight, for all her smarts, she didn’t know anything about friendship, and now she literally rules at it along side her friends. My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic has become iconic and legendary to men, women, old, and young to this day since 2010, and I, as well as many others, have high hopes for its future.

• Brohoof 3

Are you asking why some men like mlp even though it's "girly"? The answer is that some men like girly things. 

1 hour ago, Midnight Solace said:

Honestly, I only find the intro song "girly." Other than that, I don't think I find FiM girly at alI

In what way isn't it girly? It was literally made with young girls as the target audience.

• Brohoof 6

Just now, Gestum said:

Are you asking why some men like mlp even though it's "girly"? The answer is that some men like girly things. 

In what way isn't it girly? It was literally made with young girls as the target audience.

It's not like other shows meant for young girls, it's different. That's why there are so many bronies today.

4 minutes ago, Midnight Solace said:

It's not like other shows meant for young girls, it's different. That's why there are so many bronies today.

It doesn't difference that much, in my opinion. I suppose it's slightly more action focused, but you can count the action scenes on one hand without using all of your fingers.

2 minutes ago, Quinch said:

Well, my question would be, what makes it girly?

The fact that it was specfically written so that young girls would like it, would be my answer to that question. 

• Brohoof 1

4 minutes ago, Gestum said:

The fact that it was specfically written so that young girls would like it, would be my answer to that question. 

Yeah, but let's drill down into it a bit more. What are the things that, young girls, in specific, like?

4 hours ago, cuteycindyhoney said:

Princesses. That's a biggy with young girls.

Not to mention horses/ponies. Now, take princesses and ponies, put them together, and you have girl nirvana. :love:

Edited by Dreambiscuit

Don't try to deny the show isn't girly. It's obviously girly. Repeat after me : "My Little Pony". That's as girly as it gets. And it doesn't mean the show is bad show or guys can't enjoy it.

I like the show because it's so non-metal. It's so girly and peaceful and happy. As a man, watching that is the most 'Metal' thing to do.

• Brohoof 2

From a Wikipedia article on MLP: FiM- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Little_Pony:_Friendship_Is_Magic

With the chance to work on My Little Pony, she hoped to prove that "cartoons for girls don't have to be a puddle of smooshy, cutesy-wootsy, goody-two-shoeness".[14] To do this, she incorporated into the design of the characters and the show many elements that contradicted idealized stereotypes of girls, such as diverse personalities, the message that friends can be different and can get into arguments but still be friends, and the idea that girls should not be limited by what others say they can or cannot do.[14] Elements of the characters' personalities and the show's settings were based on her own childhood imagination of the ponies' adventures, in part inspired by the animated shows that her brothers would watch while growing up, such as Transformers and G.I. Joe;[15] she considered that she was making Friendship Is Magic "for me as an eight-year-old".

In short, Lauren Faust thought that general cartoons for girls were not interesting enough, and put many other aspects to FiM that even boys (and grown men /women) can enjoy. :mlp_icwudt:

Edited by qwerE
  • Brohoof 4

Well, maybe it does seem kind of girly at the beginning, but once you start watching it, you can't stop and sooner or later, your in love with the show and you don't care if others say its girly. All my friends tell me the show is for girls, and I always tell them that it might be, but I just enjoy watching it because I find it entertaining and cute. The show might seem girly at first, but you'll soon forget those "ratings" and "suggestions" and just love watching the show for what it is.:mlp_yeehaa:

• Brohoof 1

Since it's normal for some  women to  like "boys things" then  it's also normal for some men to like "girly things."

• Brohoof 1

6 minutes ago, Kenshin's girl said:

You bronies are highly developed dudes.  Most guys hate stories about being good and friendship lessons.  It's so anti-macho.

I'm pretty sure there are plenty of men who appreciate stories about being good and "Friendship lessons", even if they don't necessarily appreciate MLP. Science Fiction shows, other cartoons, anime, comic books and other popular media that lot's of guys enjoy are full of things like that, even if they're mixed in with more violence and action or more adult themes. Most men in real life are more than just walking "Macho" stereotypes.

• Brohoof 1

well, it's what this society has labeled girly, i don't see why ponies are more girly than any other animal, or cars manly, or why action equals boys and friendship/tea parties equal girls. give it to an alien and they'd agree with me i'm sure, it's all just prejudice, people trying to act like they think they should act, without even knowing why anymore, but we're not living amongst aliens, so yes, it's girly, the question is, why should you care what other's think is girly? the answer is, you shouldn't, unless you want to impress those "others" which is as valid a reason to not watch ponies as the above is a reason to do so. but in the end, it's healthier psychologically to just be who you are, and find those who will accept you for that, instead of pretending, there will be bullies, lot's of them, and it sucks, but if you let that decide what you do, they've already hurt you more than their words ever could.

• Brohoof 1

In most parts yes..and I admit that I do sometime cringe but hey, why try to fix something that ain’t broken?

On 1/8/2019 at 11:13 PM, cuteycindyhoney said:

Princesses. That's a biggy with young girls.

On 1/9/2019 at 3:31 AM, Dreambiscuit said:

Not to mention horses/ponies. Now, take princesses and ponies, put them together, and you have girl nirvana. :love:

Great answers all around.

So, why do girls like that stuff?

45 minutes ago, Kenshin's girl said:

Maybe the next generation is less inhibited by gender roles than mine was.  If a guy of my generation admitted he was a Brony, he'd probably be called "gay" or at the least, "a wuss."

one of those debatable things I guess - after all, Shatner admits to being a brony and fan of Dashie...