Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is MLP:FiM Really That Girly?

Kenshin's girl

Well yes, it is targeted towards younger girls, but its still good for all ages, (obviously hahah), and well, I do sometimes cringe at the show, but it isn't THAT girly, at least thats what I think.  

• Brohoof 1

Of course it's girly, it's about cutesy ponies and princesses for goodness sake. The thing is girly/feminine does not equal poor quality. It's just a matter of personal taste. To its credit, I appreciate how the show actually presents a variety of role models ranging from quite masculine (Rainbow and AJ) to feminine (Rarity, Fluttershy) for its young female target audience (and indeed anyone else watching) to aspire to

• Brohoof 2

Maybe? Do I really care? No, not really. People can make fun of me for liking what I like however much they like but it will almost never bother me.

But yeah, I would still say it is girly and that is fine.

• Brohoof 2

As we all know, the shows target demographic is younger girls. However, FiM included elements of adventure from the start, the pilot episodes plot was to defeat nightmare moon! 

I think, as the Brony fandom became more recognised by the media, the show writers and animators decided to embrace this really quite unexpected captured demographic which is why we now have nods to the fandom like Derpy or having an episode dedicated to Bronies and Pegasisters (slice of life). 

One of my absolute favourite facts of the show is William Shatner's role as grandpear. To have a childhood icon of multiple generations being a fan of this show really speaks to me. 

Yeah, the show was initially aimed for a younger age group but I think the creators have fully acknowledged and embraced the Brony community!

I think it depends on your perception of "girly".

In terms of stereotypical gender roles? Sure.

But not everyone believes in said gender roles or agrees with them.

Yes, it is. To me, girly = pertaining to girl-centered issues, concerns, and perspectives. The show was created to show young girls that there are many different ways to be a girl. At the core of each episode are issues that is relatable to young girls. Just because the dressings may sometimes be more action-based  doesn't eliminate the fact that at it's core, the show is made for a young female audience.

That's my opinion, as a certified Girl.

Edited by Powderpuff

Honestly, why should you care? If it's girly, then it's girly, all that matters that it's good, and it's a good girly show

• Brohoof 1

I think it is girly but it’s balanced out with other things with great characters. Rarity was mandated by Hasbro to be the girly one. If all the other characters were like her, then yes it would be very girly. 

I think a question would be, did bronies hijack the show from little girls? 

On 1/9/2019 at 1:48 AM, Kenshin's girl said:

I get why anyone would love FiM but it seems kind of girly to me. Just wondering what bronies have to say.

Do ponies eat bacon and drink beer while firing machine guns into the air?

No, they don't. So it's girly. But it's not bad girly.

Edited by Bendy

On 1/26/2019 at 10:14 AM, Bendy said:

Do ponies eat bacon and drink beer while firing machine guns into the air?

No, they don't. So it's girly. But it's not bad girly.

I never suggested that it's wrong to like a girly show. I just think FIM is lacking most things guys seem to like: bacon, drinking beer, etc. Ha ha. But seriously, most guys I like are into sexual humor and being grossed out, not sweet shows about cute ponies with morals.  NOT that there's anything wrong about it, don't misunderstand me.

I would say MLP:FiM is girly in some aspects, wheras in others it's the opposite.  Either way, it makes no major difference in the long run.

• 1 year later...
On 1/17/2019 at 4:44 PM, Guest said:

I think it depends on your perception of "girly".

In terms of stereotypical gender roles? Sure.

But not everyone believes in said gender roles or agrees with them.

Oh my Luna! A GUEST replying?! Was that even possible?!

Anyway. What do I think? Well, it has always been super girly. We're talking colorful ponies and pegasi and unicorns, for buck's sake! However, the first 2 seasons were far from cringey girly. They were super girly but not barbie girly. It helped they spent time having actual non-girly adventures in places that weren't flooded with pink. Like, how can it be girly to go kick a dragon out of a cave? Or what about chasing AJ in a desertic place just to bring her back?

• Brohoof 2

Extremely girly. MLP is the worst. So much pink and ponies! The question is, are you girly enough to handle it? I am... Though I might to shave my beard :awwthanks:

30 minutes ago, Megas said:

Honestly people really need to stop being so insecure and ashamed of this shit

Did you watch that Jenny Nicholson YouTube video about the history of Bronies and Bronycon documentary? It used to be a time where people had to go to great lengths to make sure they weren't associated with the show in the wrong way

Spoiler

One way was to say "I like MLP but no homo" I think? :confused:

We have come a long way since then

Edited by Splashee®