Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Max price for a pony?

ManaMinori

There has been a rare g1 pony from an obscure Japanese branch of the line hanging around ebay at the listing of $3,580 USD. Now, even though its mint, I still think that this as an absurd amount to pay for a piece of plastic. Or any toy/collectable. But this may just be the low-income, preffered thrift pirate part of me talking. 

What do you guys think should be the max amount you should or have spent on a pony?

• Brohoof 1

when it comes to rare collectibles, there isn't really any price cap other than how much one wants said collectible, and just how hard to it is to find, be it a piece of plastic, a piece of cardboard or an intricate piece of machinery or art, it doesn't really matter, i've seen rare cards sell at higher prices than rare gold antiques, collecting gets you in a weird world but quite fun too

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Nightmare Muffin said:

There has been a rare g1 pony from an obscure Japanese branch of the line hanging around ebay at the listing of $3,580 USD. Now, even though its mint, I still think that this as an absurd amount to pay for a piece of plastic. Or any toy/collectable. But this may just be the low-income, preffered thrift pirate part of me talking. 

What do you guys think should be the max amount you should or have spent on a pony?

Moved to merch. 

I have spent that much and more for collectibles, particularly some pieces in my original Kenner Star Wars collection have that much and one piece in particular was twice that. I have also paid quite a bit for something that every ounce of me despises, namely crowdsourced toys from Mattel and Hasbro. 

1 hour ago, Jeric said:

I have also paid quite a bit for something that every ounce of me despises, namely crowdsourced toys from Mattel and Hasbro. 

was it an attempt to remove it from the market? i don't get why

1 minute ago, Lord Valtasar said:

was it an attempt to remove it from the market? i don't get why

The curse of nostalgia and being a collector of Star Wars is when a company finally makes something we’ve wanted for decades, we tend to jump at it. The method of the release is my issue. Price point of this particular piece is $5000. 

3 hours ago, Lord Valtasar said:

when it comes to rare collectibles, there isn't really any price cap other than how much one wants said collectible, and just how hard to it is to find, be it a piece of plastic, a piece of cardboard or an intricate piece of machinery or art, it doesn't really matter, i've seen rare cards sell at higher prices than rare gold antiques, collecting gets you in a weird world but quite fun too

I'm pretty much with @Lord Valtasar on the subject.

Personally, I wouldn't spend that much on a collectable. But then again, I'm not a collector. Or at least, not of rare things. So a serious collector might see a personally justifiable reason to want to spend that amount of money on something like that. Especially if it increases the value of their overall collection or it's just their passion. Pretty awesome, but well outside my budget for a hobby or interest.

Truth is though, I could never be a serious collector of toys. The never remove from packaging policy strongly conflicts with my need to play with the toy. The moment that $2000 Luke Skywalker action figure in its original packaging lands in my hooves. Bye-bye collectors price tag. On the bright side though. If it loses a limb, you can refer to it as battle damage. :-P

I do actually have a one legged Luke Skywalker action figure from my childhood. Any takers? He's yours for a Snickers bar and a can of Dr Pepper.