Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Scoring Each Season of Friendship Is Magic (Results)

TheAnimationFanatic

After running polls for how you all each Season of Friendship is Magic, I figured I'd post the results. 

• Season 1: 86%
  • Season 2: 88% *Updated on 1/22*
  • Season 3: 73% *Updated in 2/22*
  • Season 4: 89% *Updated on 1/22*
  • Season 5: 91% 
  • Season 6: 74% *Updated on 2/22*
  • Season 7: 88% *Updated on 2/22*
  • Season 8: 75% *Updated on 2/22*

What did you think of the survey and what surprises you the most about the results?

Edited by TheAnimationFanatic
  • Brohoof 3

Nothing is really suprising for me here. Well, maybe S6 score is a bit lower than I expected, but it aired between two very strong seasons, so the contrast probably affected the general perception. S3 made it over 65% - not bad, considering how disappointed many people were (and are) with it. And my favorite season got the highest score - not surprising at all.

• Brohoof 1

Just now, Oleks said:

Nothing is really suprising for me here. Well, maybe S6 score is a bit lower than I expected, but it aired between two very strong seasons, so the contrast probably affected the general perception. S3 made it over 65% - not bad, considering how disappointed many people were (and are) with it. And my favorite season got the highest score - not surprising at all.

Season 5 (sort of) surprised me in that I didn't think it would have the highest score, but when I think about it, it makes sense. It's definitely the most mature and complex season.

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, TheAnimationFana said:

Season 5 (sort of) surprised me in that I didn't think it would have the highest score, but when I think about it, it makes sense. It's definitely the most mature and complex season.

IMO, it also simply has the highest number of quality episodes, but it's a matter of taste. And if we look at the recent seasons, S5 was the only one (within my recollection) that was highly praised throughout its duration and immediately after it ended. After that each new season had "the show's not what it used to be" reactions from a portion of fans and had to settle in for a bit.

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, TheAnimationFana said:
  • Season 1: 86%
  • Season 2: 88%
  • Season 3: 68%
  • Season 4: 88%

---------------------------------

• Season 5: 91%
  • Season 6: 72%
  • Season 7: 86%
  • Season 8: 73%

People like Starlight Glimmer more than I thought. :wacko:

• Brohoof 1

Which choices are you adding together to get these scores? 

With polls like this - and this also applies to aggregate ratings on any website - my opinions are twofold: 1. anything that's popular has to be doing something right; 2. art is subjective and these polls reflect the people who voted in them more than the art created.

Edited by AlexanderThrond

What's the population headcount? Around 20 forumgoers. Well, yippee ki-yay! Now I'll have big brain chaps with flimsy data to contend with every time I'll be explaining why new seasons are shit. Meh, I'm kinda used to it by now.

1 hour ago, AlexanderThrond said:

Which choices are you adding together to get these scores? 

With polls like this - and this also applies to aggregate ratings on any website - my opinions are twofold: 1. anything that's popular has to be doing something right; 2. art is subjective and these polls reflect the people who voted in them more than the art created.

I take the percentages, multiply them by the weighted scores, and add them up.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

New Scores:

Season 1: 86%

Season 2: 88%

Season 3: 71%

Season 4: 89%

Season 5: 91%

Season 6: 73%

Season 7: 87%

Season 8: 74%

On 1/12/2019 at 3:13 PM, Oleks said:

The scores have been updated.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/12/2019 at 11:35 AM, TheAnimationFanatic said:

What did you think of the survey and what surprises you the most about the results?

Nothing surprised me per se, but only because I've read other threads here that give similar results. Season 3 and Season 6 have often been said to be the least popular episodes. Their respective finales seem to get the most criticisms from this fandom. I, however, loved both of those finales, so in a way, I kind of was surprised by the mixed reactions.

Nothing surprised me... that's basically how I would grade them I think. I will say season one is higher than expected by a bit... but it is season one. I thought season 6 might be higher... I actually enjoyed it. Season 8 is... a bit lowish as well.

Basically... I think i like the show a lot more than the general population.

4 minutes ago, Kadeda said:

Nothing surprised me... that's basically how I would grade them I think. I will say season one is higher than expected by a bit... but it is season one. I thought season 6 might be higher... I actually enjoyed it. Season 8 is... a bit lowish as well.

Basically... I think i like the show a lot more than the general population.

Here are the updated scores:

• Season 1 - 86%

• Season 2 - 88%

• Season 3 - 73%

• Season 4 - 89%

• Season 5 - 91%

• Season 6 - 74%

• Season 7 - 88%

• Season 8 - 75%

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
(edited)

The results are just what i expected. Season 5 is considered to be the highest peak of the show and the second best is Season 4 due to the finale. Season 3 is still the season rot of the franchise. Season 6 is the second lowest and Season 8 may be its competition. And Season 7 is an improvement after Season 6. That's people's general opinions no matter what you look with just small variations. I dont have any complicate statistics but i have to say that Season 6 and Season 8 didn't deserve to be that low, especially Season 8. Season 8 should be the same bar with Season 7 because of overall better premiere and finale with better set up, better villain and amazing new casts.

Season 2 is already high even without nostalgia goggles put in your eyes so i have nothing to say...

Edited by Lambdadelta
  • Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

Season 1- 80%

Season 2 - 95%

Season 3 - 70%

Season 4 - 97%

Season 5 - 99%

Season 6 - 1000%

Season 7 - 2000%

Season 8 -  20%

Season 9 - 95%