Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What techniques makes art good

Script Chime

Personally I find the thing that truly makes art is great shading and highlighting as well as good pose work. That at least is what makes me proud of my art and actively look at other's art. What's your personal idea of what art techniques makes art excellent?

Edited by Script Chime
  • Brohoof 2

Art comes in many forms but if the final product shows genuine time, effort, and skill, then I think we can call it good art. I lean more towards realism because you have to capture something's image, which allows you to make a direct comparison. Abstract has the difficulty of having no boundaries, so sometimes it's brilliant, other times it's deemed brilliant despite looking god awful. The trick to making good art is to find a style that works for you and is catching to the eye. I was going to say appealing, but some works intentionally make you uncomfortable in order to send a message. Something to remember is that just because we like what we've drawn, doesn't mean it's good, and just because others don't like what we've drawn, doesn't mean it's not good. Find your faults, than adjust your methods accordingly.

• Brohoof 2

Skill, integrity, ingenuity, and a general creative spirit. Too much focus on skill without the other aspects will make your art bland, but too much emphasis on creativity without skill will make your art bad and frivolous. 

• Brohoof 1

Perhaps technical skill and/or insight. My preferences lie in realism though stylistic deviations may still be appealing. Something like abstract art does not appeal me; if it looks like a young child made it, it is not interesting.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

I learned that everything is art. So it may be as simple as a block of wood to the most complex thing out there. What makes art good in my opinion is how others perceive it. If its pleasing to anothers eyes then its good. You dont need a vast audience to have good art. All you need is one person who looks at your art and thinks its good for it to be considered good art in my opinion.

The thing I respond to most in art is whether or not it lives. By ‘life’ I mean a feeling of spontaneity and confidence in the hands of the artist. That’s why I love impressionism; it’s all about light and capturing the moment rather than technical accuracy like realism. I love realism too, but it has to have creative composition to really grab the eye. Even the best realism, like the photo-realistic matte paintings they made for movies, were often referred to by the artists as ‘suggestionism’, meaning that they were never really photo-perfect, but rather a suggestion of details with simple blobs of paint strategically placed. Too many crisp details would be unrealistic because life itself is messy and loose.

I also think that good use of shadow and reflected light makes a big difference in art. But whatever style or methods are used, as long as they flow and feel good, that’s what I consider great art.

• Brohoof 2

• 2 months later...
8 minutes ago, Lucky Bolt said:

What makes art good? I say it's the time and work a person puts into it. 

What you really wanted to say was...socks! :ticking:

Art is life, life is art. :D

1 hour ago, Mirage said:

...socks! :ticking:

59 minutes ago, Lucky Bolt said:

Hoodies!

These. These right here. :mlp_yay:

In all seriousness though, I'm still trying to find that out. Personally I think the attention to details and shading are very important parts.

• Brohoof 2