imawesome

What was your experience with debate in school?

Debate  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Did you debate in middle school?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Did you debate in high school?

• Yes
    • No

Just curious, have any of you ever done middle school or high school debate? 

I debated in middle school but not in high school. I remember I had a REALLY bad partner (she got the 138th speaker award out of 139), but she was generally a nice person. For the third tournament, she had to go to this church thing and so I got a much more fitting partner instead, and we got 4th place team. 

I also remember that our coach was also my math teacher and he was pretty strict, saying things like, "We're the best team, show them that" and constantly talking about how in the City Finals one of teams barely talked about Topicality and that was the reason the lost. If you DON'T do debate, I won't dig deep in my experiences, because you'd probably be lost. But I had lots of fun doing it and would love to hear about everyone else's experiences! 

We had to debate in the last year of high school in groups of 4. two person against and two persons in favor. Our group had to debate about decreasing the legal age for alcohol to 16 (it's 18 now). My friend and I were against. I was really nervous before the actual debate but when it was my turn to speak I suddenly stopped being nervous and calmly explained all of my arguments.

Badges

Meh it's okay since I'm not bad at it but I prefer mock trial. 

Badges

Took professional communications and had some debates. The teacher would always interupt being like "point of clarity this, point of clarity that." She was always interupting to try and make herself sound smart.

Yeah, I did a couple of them. Mostly about politics and martial arts which would get on my nerves.

No way, I tried to avoid public speaking as it is, never would I want to do it as a hobby :laugh:

Badges