Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Does Star Wars work better on the TV Screen?

SaburoDaimando

As someone who's been a fan of Star Wars since I was young, I have been hearing negative comments towards the movies.  Not only that, but I also believe that movies don't tell the whole story of the galaxy far, far, away.  But ever since Star Wars: The Clone Wars in 2008(Due to have one more season this year on Disney's new Streaming service), I began to realize that Television(And in some cases: Youtube) is serving a better purpose of telling the stories in the Star Wars universe.  That was only backed up with Star Wars Rebels, and there's also Star Wars Resistance(Still in its 1st season).  Not to mention there is Star Wars: Mandalorians coming out.

But what do you all think?  Does Star Wars work better on the Small Screen instead of the Big screen?  Should Disney and Lucasarts embrace the home tube or the youtube more than the movie projector?

The original Star Wars, and probably the original Star Wars trilogy itself, was certainly a cinematic watershed at the time they came out, and are still praised by many today, including many of the fans that bash the newer movies.

The TV format seems better suited if your concern is worldbuilding or consistent and steady character development. But movies can create a sense of space and epicness that certainly characterizes the Star Wars franchise. So both have their place. You just need the right writers and directors working on each. 

• Brohoof 2

I'm not a huge fans of existing Star Wars tv-shows, but as long as some people enjoy them, they are fine by me. They, being targeted to younger audience, haven't quite captured the tone and atmosphere of original movie series and it's universe (though to be fair, neither have majority of the newer films :-P). Mandaloreans is something I'm looking forwad to fairly optimistically. As long as there are living and breathing actors and even a half decent script, i'm cautiously interested. 

I don't mind franchises growing to new formats, as long as they stay true to their roots. IMO Star Wars should stay primary focused on the films. It really bugs me when lore introduced by other sources becomes so rich and overcomplicated, that you have to read a ****ing guidebook before watching a movie inorder to understand what the heck is going on :dry:

• Brohoof 1

At the risk of sparking a huge argument over which is better, I think Star Wars as a franchise would benefit more from TV shows in similar format to Star Trek: Enterprise and Spin offs like Voyager, next generation etc. 

I have watched all the star wars films and some of the tv shows (though I am definitely more favoured towards Star Trek) and I feel the whole Star Wars universe and subsequent law is somewhat lacking, something that could be changed with a focus on TV rather than the big screen. 

Sorry for not replying to this topic I made.

On 1/14/2019 at 4:25 PM, AJ2489 said:

At the risk of sparking a huge argument over which is better, I think Star Wars as a franchise would benefit more from TV shows in similar format to Star Trek: Enterprise and Spin offs like Voyager, next generation etc. 

I have watched all the star wars films and some of the tv shows (though I am definitely more favoured towards Star Trek) and I feel the whole Star Wars universe and subsequent law is somewhat lacking, something that could be changed with a focus on TV rather than the big screen. 

If there is one era that I want Star Wars TV to adapt, I would like it to be in the Old Republic era.  Maybe get some of the writers from Bioware to write the story.

• Brohoof 1

The Star wars saga, in terms of the feature films, belongs on the big screen. The scope, beauty and countless details are bigger than life and thus are best suited for the biggest screen possible. The dynamic sound effects and score demand a great sound system that even the best home theaters fail to provide. The movies were made with the state of the art in projection and sound in mind, to give the viewers the full measure of what these movies can deliver. Even The Clone Wars movie, which was initially intended for the small screen, was released theatrically because George Lucas felt that it merited a larger venue. 

The cartoon series are fine on a TV screen in general because there are so many episodes that it would be impossible to get all those stories to the big screen. If it were possible I'd say the big screen would again be best suited for it. I can be happy watching them on my home TV, but I would always be happiest on the biggest screen I could get. 

Star Wars is more than a movie, or a set of movies; it's an event, and an event should always have a grand stage. 

• Brohoof 1

• 1 year later...