Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Would we even have FiM it it wasn't for Spike?

ManaMinori

Spike is a character that many people dislike for various reasons. He often gets thrown under the bus or been the but of a joke at others' expense in the canon episodes and comics. But lets step back and look at things with a new perspective- would we even have the episodes and comics we have if it wasn't for Spike? Would the "Mane 6" even be friends without Spike? I don't think so. bear in mind that it was Sunset's lack of friends that prompted Celestia to test Twilight- her next student- with hatching a dragon egg- someone that she'd have the responsibility of taking care of and drawing close to, and ultimately calling, her first friend. That was Celestia's motive when Sunset failed. Then, as she sent Twilight off to Ponyville, her goal was having her befriend others outside of Spike. Twilight wasn't on board, and it took Spike to coerce Twilight into even giving the townsponies the time of day, which led her to eventually befriending them. If Spike wasn't there to pressure Twilight, we wouldn't have the Mane 6 coming together in the first place. Without Spike, AJ would be Timberwolf chow, The Crystal Empire wouldn't be saved and back under Sombra's rule, Thorax would still be a normal Changeling, Equestia would still have strained relationships with the Changelings- and Dragons. Spike has done a lot of good for the series as a whole, and much of what we have now wouldn't have happened if it weren't for hm. Little guy deserves far more respect.

• Brohoof 2

Well, we wouldn't have had FiM as it is without him, of course - his presence was vital for several crucial plot points. On the other hand, I don't think Twilight was really Spike's friend in the very beginning, and she pretty much treated him exclusively as an assistant and a ward.

So, I suppose the question arises as to what the difference would have been if Twilight didn't have anyone by her side to push her in the appropriate direction, or if she was paired with someone else with a different personality and behavior.

• Brohoof 2

Probably, there is going to be huge political mess because of Twilight's massive failure in annexing Crystal Empire which probably ended up in the war that resulted in massive casualties.

Of course not. Spike is the glue that holds the show together, the butter to our bread, the Alpha and the Omega. :maud: 

Real talk, I don't feel the show would be the same without him, as he has proven to be an integral part of the show. Imagine no restoration of the Crystal Empire, no purpose for the Dragon Kingdom, no reformed Changelings, all things that wouldn't have happened if it wasn't for Spike. His character is also essential to getting across an important message of the show, that no matter how small you are or how insignificant you feel, you can make a difference so long as you carry integrity, determination, and an indomitable spirit. 

• 1 year later...

Well, let's look back at the first episode. As we all know, Spike is the one that sent the letters. :BornAgainBrony: You could argue Twilight would've been able to get them to the princess another way but let's also look at how the Mane Six met. :ninjadash: Fluttershy couldn't speak to Twilight out of shyness, but the moment she saw Spike, her spirits lifted and she became very talkative with him. :kindness:

Also, if there was no dragon egg, then how else would Twilight have gotten her cutie mark? :o

(edited)

I like Spike and I often feel sorry for him but really he does add a little something to the show that it wouldn't be the same without him. That non pony presence especially earlier on. And a male character within a cast of female ones too. His character development later on becomes interesting and his involvement with other dragons etc. He is pretty cool guy, young and innocent.

If Spike comes back in G5 I hope he is less of an assistant and is more an independent character. Maybe someone who you go to wisdom or whatever. It would be fun to have a very different sorta Spike. Like when you look back at G3 and G1 he has a different sorta character. Though he has similarities to G1 spike especially. 

Edited by flurry

Yes, I think Twilight and Princess Celestia would at least somehow make a FIM parody if it wasn't for Spike. Maybe at a Pony Life level, you know ponies without friendship, and potions instead of magic