Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Banning plastic- would the fight matter with Hasbro?

ManaMinori

With China now refusing to take a lot of the world's plastic waste imports, there's a crisis on where it can go, and it's being sent to other poor countries to be burned or wind up in illegal landfills. There's a desperate need, now, more than ever to ban the plastic and have retailers change their product packaging. I know Hasbro uses excessive amounts of plastic in their pony product packaging, but do you guys think it's worth trying to push Hasbro to change, since 1: a lot of the older fanbase doesn't actually purchase their lesser quality products, so they're not the ones who need to vote with their wallets, and 2: the ponies being sold are made of non bio-degradable materials? What have you guys noticed regarding Hasbro's packaging in the pony products? Does anything need to change?

• Brohoof 1

Wow, this is a double edge sword. When you said ponies being made of non-bio-degradable materials. What if they switched? What impact would that have on collecting? Imagine having to see the MiB ponies on your shelf slowly turn to dust right before your eyes. 

And taking it even further, could the push for this lead to widespread "planned obsolesence?" Currently this is only an issue with electronics, but imagine companies designing things to decompose within a year or so, forcing consumers to rebuy them over and over again. 

I'm a supporter of green solutions, but this is a bit scary. 

• Brohoof 1

I'm not sure it would be very easy for Hasbro to use much less plastic. Prices would likely go up quite a bit unless an equally cheap and effective material was found. Hasbro certainly shouldn't be using more plastic than they need, though better plastic disposal should be a strong focus too.

• 1 year later...

I don't think that banning plastic is such a good idea. Whatever they are going to replace it with is going to be a lot worse for environment by comparison.

• Brohoof 1

Banning plastic is an idiotic idea, as much of what we use contains it and cannot be easily replaced without changing the items we use for the worse. If it ends up in poor countries, so be it. If it ends up in 'illegal' landfills, so be it. I won't support banning the use of an important and useful material for the sake of them or the environment. 

Imagine they stopped using plastic at all for the actual toys lol. Maybe they could be rubber, or metal or wooden. Like back in the old days. I guess still can have plushes. 

I think the plastic packaging should be replaced and made more eco. I guess paper from sustainable sources though the forests are also an issue. Then there are modern materials like algae, rock paper and that.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/disruptorleague.com/2018/07/02/13-plastic-packaging-alternatives/%3famp

Edited by flurry