Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The thing I miss from early seasons : Scores

Sepul-Coloratura

In early seasons, there was a theme each character had. It was very distinguishable between different ponies' themes.

Not only that, but we don't get to hear Applejack's theme, with the energetic fiddle instrumental, or Rainbow Dash's theme or Scootaloo's theme where they had overdriven guitars. Or the CMC's theme. Or the element's of harmony theme. Lots of themes don't play on the show anymore.

Like in The Dark Knight series where each character had a theme and the movie quite faithfully plays it every time the character is doing a major role in the secreen, MLP did it too. You would clearly hear what I mean if you listen to the ripped audio from the show. (highly recommend you to check it out. You wouldn't believe how much those scores contributes to what makes MLP The MLP.)

Early season's scores were more memorable and prominent and repeatedly plays in a carefully thought out way. I wish they put more focus on the scores and how they play out in the show to more than just use them as a tool or as a stock music to fit the generic mood of the scene, but to be memorable and unique even by it's own. William Anderson deserves more recognition than he already has.

Edited by Sepul-Coloratura
  • Brohoof 5

Scores..... something very missing in MLP, they will work much in that, because probably they have paying more attention to MLP G5 and MLP EQG i guess...

Edited by Paulo92921
  • Brohoof 1

I never really even paid attention to the "themes" for the characters. Guess it goes to show how well the music melds into the show.

• Brohoof 2

Yeah, the character themes have been absent for a while now, but I haven't paid attention to notice their absence until this thread :-D. It's good in the sense that molds into the show, but I'm mostly indifferent with the show's background music however :mlp_huh:

• Brohoof 1

One thing I miss from the early episodes is that they used to move more like horses. They used their hooves less and their mouths more. It was more logical and made them seem different from humans.

Also I liked the voice work better. Not that it's bad now, it just seems like it was more enthusiastic back then.

• Brohoof 3

8 hours ago, Fluttershutter said:

One thing I miss from the early episodes is that they used to move more like horses. They used their hooves less and their mouths more. It was more logical and made them seem different from humans.

I liked on early seasons when ponies laid down on on their back and had the distinguishable animalistic hind leg movement. Only Pinkie Pie who worked on cartoon logic could do human stuff with her hoofs.

8 hours ago, Fluttershutter said:

Also I liked the voice work better. Not that it's bad now, it just seems like it was more enthusiastic back then.

Yes, I noticed that mostly on Applejack and Rainbow Dash's voice (unfortunately same voice actor) covers less of a dynamic range of emotions. They pretty much talks in static pace, pitch and emotion, Less subtle.

• Brohoof 1