Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The mane six having telekinesis in 「The Ticket Master」?

Sepul-Coloratura

The last scene where the ponies all get the tickets in The Ticket Master, each tickets floats in front of each ponies' faces. How is it possible? Clearly Rarity or Twilight isn't doing it. Is it the ticket's have abilities by it's own like magical items in Harry Potter? 

image.thumb.png.c4fd89260a5580408141f0e5ede18aab.png

Edited by Sepul-Coloratura

I don't really agree that it can't be Twilight who is doing the spell. She is pretty boss with magic, after all, and in the earlier episodes, objects being magically manipulated didn't have a colour-coded aura that matched with a particular unicorn's horn aura, instead being just a more general white-ish glow. (Or goldenish glow, due to the tickets being golden and hey-wait-a-second-I-see-what-you-did-there-MLP!)

If you rewatch that scene, Spike's ticket (which comes later, and only Applejack is still around to see it at the time) doesn't float, and he is just carrying it.

bscap0010.jpg.40e354b26012bed3c35150f5689c1880.jpg

This would be consistent with my "Twilight just using normal unicorn telekinesis to make the tickets float for her friends, except for Rarity who can do it herself" theory (try fitting that on a business card :P) : Twilight isn't levitating Spike's ticket because she doesn't know about it yet.

So that's my guess - only Twilight (and Rarity) have telekinesis and she is making the tickets float.

In fact... have we ever seen objects having their own magic? (Helements of Armory and Cutie Map notwithstanding) It's rare to be point of being absent.

10 minutes ago, Sunny Fox said:

n fact... have we ever seen objects having their own magic? (Helements of Armory and Cutie Map notwithstanding) It's rare to be point of being absent.

The Crystal Heart, Spike's comic in "Power Ponies", Neighsay's amulet, and all of the other magical artifacts from Season 8, the Pillar's artifacts from Season 7, the Staff of Sacanas from the movie. There's quite a few really.

6 minutes ago, Sunny Fox said:

I don't really agree that it can't be Twilight who is doing the spell. She is pretty boss with magic, after all, and in the earlier episodes, objects being magically manipulated didn't have a colour-coded aura that matched with a particular unicorn's horn aura, instead being just a more general white-ish glow. (Or goldenish glow, due to the tickets being golden and hey-wait-a-second-I-see-what-you-did-there-MLP!)

If you rewatch that scene, Spike's ticket (which comes later, and only Applejack is still around to see it at the time) doesn't float, and he is just carrying it.

bscap0010.jpg.40e354b26012bed3c35150f5689c1880.jpg

This would be consistent with my "Twilight just using normal unicorn telekinesis to make the tickets float for her friends, except for Rarity who can do it herself" theory (try fitting that on a business card :P) : Twilight isn't levitating Spike's ticket because she doesn't know about it yet.

So that's my guess - only Twilight (and Rarity) have telekinesis and she is making the tickets float.

But it's the third episode ever so she wouldn't be that good to seamlessly cast complicated (five different objects follow five other objects, and if she did not include Rarity, it means she put extra care of who to not give the enchanted ticket, and not looking back. But still the tickets followed them as they passed by, so either it's manually cast without looking at it, or automatically cast to be triggered on certain conditions like : a pony passing by, but in this case she also has to exclude Rarity out of the equation.) spell without any visible cues like her horn glowing. Even she is good with magic enough to beat Ursa Major, there isn't any other magical unicorns did it without being noticeable like that.

Just now, BasementSparkle said:

The Crystal Heart, Spike's comic in "Power Ponies", Neighsay's amulet, and all of the other magical artifacts from Season 8, the Pillar's artifacts from Season 7, the Staff of Sacanas from the movie. There's quite a few really.

I'd argue against the Crystal Heart... it was the Crystal Ponies who powered that up with their inner light, or some such. But yeah, most of those are valid examples of objects having magical power on their own. (Heck, the mirror from Equestria Girls probably qualifies too.) So I was probably a little too quick to disregard the idea. Thanks for setting me right. :)

I still think Twilight was making the tickets float in Ticket Master, though.

Just now, Sunny Fox said:

I'd argue against the Crystal Heart... it was the Crystal Ponies who powered that up with their inner light, or some such. But yeah, most of those are valid examples of objects having magical power on their own. (Heck, the mirror from Equestria Girls probably qualifies too.) So I was probably a little too quick to disregard the idea. Thanks for setting me right.

I'd counterargue that the Crystal Heart still has to have some kind of magical ability of it's own, otherwise, if it's really only the Crystal Ponies magic that is necessary, why couldn't they just replace the Crystal Heart with any other random artifact when it was missing or destroyed? The Crystal Heart must have some sort of special property of it's own for it to be seemingly the specific object they need to use.

6 minutes ago, Sepul-Coloratura said:

But it's the third episode ever so she wouldn't be that good to seamlessly cast complicated (five different objects follow five other objects, and if she did not include Rarity, it means she put extra care of who to not give the enchanted ticket, and not looking back. But still the tickets followed them as they passed by, so either it's manually cast without looking at it, or automatically cast to be triggered on certain conditions like : a pony passing by, but in this case she also has to exclude Rarity out of the equation.) spell without any visible cues like her horn glowing. Even she is good with magic enough to beat Ursa Major, there isn't any other magical unicorns did it without being noticeable like that.

Ah, but Twilight's horn does glow,

bscap0012.jpg.eab938ba5511bc03bb9b5ec089c70e38.jpg

as does Rarity's:

bscap0013.jpg.f541359706bd5e305365fc62dd8289df.jpg

And EVERY unicorn can use telekinesis, it's not beyond possibility that Twilight is particularly accomplished in it even at this early stage.

And I'd still like to know why Spike's ticket is the exception to the "ticket enchanted to follow particular pony" - unless Celestia herself set it up like that, but then why would Twilight and Rarity even need to use their own magic?

3 minutes ago, BasementSparkle said:

I'd counterargue that the Crystal Heart still has to have some kind of magical ability of it's own, otherwise, if it's really only the Crystal Ponies magic that is necessary, why couldn't they just replace the Crystal Heart with any other random artifact when it was missing or destroyed? The Crystal Heart must have some sort of special property of it's own for it to be seemingly the specific object they need to use.

Possibly, or it might just be a sort of placebo effect... they might not need it necessarily, but are so sure they do need it that they can't find a way of making do without it. 

Just now, Sunny Fox said:

Possibly, or it might just be a sort of placebo effect... they might not need it necessarily, but are so sure they do need it that they can't find a way of making do without it. 

Possibly, but then the Elements of Harmony also don't work without ponies to power them, do they? They clearly have magic of their own, but without the Mane Six or the Princesses there to activate and power them, they don't really do anything. I'd consider that the Crystal Heart is likely the same, it has it's own magic, but like the elements it needs ponies in the mix to be powered and used.

Just now, BasementSparkle said:

Possibly, but then the Elements of Harmony also don't work without ponies to power them, do they? They clearly have magic of their own, but without the Mane Six or the Princesses there to activate and power them, they don't really do anything. I'd consider that the Crystal Heart is likely the same, it has it's own magic, but like the elements it needs ponies in the mix to be powered and used.

That makes sense to me.

Still, for the particular case of the "floating tickets", I don't think we need look any further than "It was probably Twilight doing it".

(edited)
1 hour ago, Sunny Fox said:

Ah, but Twilight's horn does glow,

bscap0012.jpg.eab938ba5511bc03bb9b5ec089c70e38.jpg

as does Rarity's:

bscap0013.jpg.f541359706bd5e305365fc62dd8289df.jpg

And EVERY unicorn can use telekinesis, it's not beyond possibility that Twilight is particularly accomplished in it even at this early stage.

And I'd still like to know why Spike's ticket is the exception to the "ticket enchanted to follow particular pony" - unless Celestia herself set it up like that, but then why would Twilight and Rarity even need to use their own magic?

My theory is Celestia or the royal secretary enchanted those tickets to automatically detect the nearby pony and follow them around after the mail was opened. It's a royal service, so it would have a special touch on it. Anyone touches the ticket triggers the ticket to stop floating around and it will turn into a normal ticket. Unicorns are so used to using their horn, they just used telekinesis so the spell didn't broke. Earth ponies and pegasi tried to reach it, but it just floated around even before them trying, so they just went with it. In Spike's case, either they forgot to enchant it, or Spike grabbed it right away.

Edited by Sepul-Coloratura

8 hours ago, Sepul-Coloratura said:

My theory is Celestia or the royal secretary enchanted those tickets to automatically detect the nearby pony and follow them around after the mail was opened. It's a royal service, so it would have a special touch on it. Anyone touches the ticket triggers the ticket to stop floating around and it will turn into a normal ticket. Unicorns are so used to using their horn, they just used telekinesis so the spell didn't broke. Earth ponies and pegasi tried to reach it, but it just floated around even before them trying, so they just went with it. In Spike's case, either they forgot to enchant it, or Spike grabbed it right away.

I think my theory is simpler and needs less assumptions, but if you prefer your own theory, that's fine too. Let's agree to disagree. :)