Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler What is The Crystal Empire to Celestia's Equestria?

Loud Opinion

Popular Opinion:  

13 users have voted

1. 1. 1

• Vassal State
    • Ally
    • Independent Nation
    • A collection of conveniently placed atoms that only give off the illusion of a living society
    • A social construct
    • Jerusalem! Deus Vult!
    • Other

So, what do you think the Crystal Empire is to Equestria. Is it a vassal state, an ally, or an independent nation altogether? Share your thoughts and maybe we can find a conscience on this even if the writers haven't decided yet.

36 minutes ago, Metemponychosis said:

In my head, it makes most sense if the Crystal Empire is part of a federation, that is Equestria. It would make no sense to have the Equestria Games, outside of Equestria.

The Equestria Games is their equivalent of our Olympics. It could technically be held anywhere. The Olympics are named after Olympia where they were originally held. The Equestria Games could just be named after the founding nation. The Griffons participate but aren't a part of Equestria, There's no reason it couldn't be held in Griffonstone beyond lacking the economic means to host it.

I see the Crystal Empire as a protectorate.

• Brohoof 2

Probably some kind of outpost at the North Pole, most likely some kind of social experiment to safeguard from the wendigo

Edited by R.D.Dash

11 hours ago, SharpWit said:

The Equestria Games is their equivalent of our Olympics. It could technically be held anywhere. The Olympics are named after Olympia where they were originally held. The Equestria Games could just be named after the founding nation. The Griffons participate but aren't a part of Equestria, There's no reason it couldn't be held in Griffonstone beyond lacking the economic means to host it.

I see the Crystal Empire as a protectorate.

Yes.. But the Olympics aren't called "The USA Games", or "The Greek Games", nor is there a country in the real world that is called Olympia. Neither way it makes sense. It's anyone's opinion.

Unclaimed patch of barren land of the frozen north sustained by magic nobody understands and populated by a bunch of traumatized ungulates ruled over by a couple of foreigners that just came there one day and started acting like royalty ¯\_()_/¯

TL; DR: It's a colony. REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

• Brohoof 1

26 minutes ago, Metemponychosis said:

Yes.. But the Olympics aren't called "The USA Games", or "The Greek Games", nor is there a country in the real world that is called Olympia. Neither way it makes sense. It's anyone's opinion.

You're forgetting that the games were founded in a time and region of city states. Although Olympia wasn't an independent city, it was one welcoming towards all of the Greek deities and people, which along with its location made it ideal to host such an inclusive event there. It makes sense to name something after the place it was founded/held.

• Brohoof 1

4 hours ago, SharpWit said:

You're forgetting that the games were founded in a time and region of city states. Although Olympia wasn't an independent city, it was one welcoming towards all of the Greek deities and people, which along with its location made it ideal to host such an inclusive event there. It makes sense to name something after the place it was founded/held.

And the games happened where?

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/21/2019 at 3:42 PM, Metemponychosis said:

And the games happened where?

As was said it was named after where it was founded and now encompasses the entire world. Its no longer held where Olympia was or even in Greece exclusively but rotates nation to nation. So again as was said there is no reason that other nations could not participate in the Equestria games. Saddle Arabia, in fact, is an independent kingdom and yet had delegates at the Equestria games if not participates for sure. 

As for my views on what the Crystal Empire is. I believe its a protectorate or vessel state under Cadence as she is technically a citizen of Equestria and adopted member of its royal family. Though she is supposedly distantly related to its former ruler  Princess Amore.

• Brohoof 2

14 hours ago, Jedishy said:

As was said it was named after where it was founded and now encompasses the entire world. Its no longer held where Olympia was or even in Greece exclusively but rotates nation to nation. So again as was said there is no reason that other nations could not participate in the Equestria games. Saddle Arabia, in fact, is an independent kingdom and yet had delegates at the Equestria games if not participates for sure. 

I doubt that if Olympia was still around, the games would be called Olympic Games and be hosted all over the world. It's as nonsensical as hosting the PanAmerican Games in South Africa. The problem is the name they gave it, that makes no sense. They should've called it the "world games" or something like that.

Not to mention how unlikely it is that people who come up this thing have thought about it for more than half a second, anyway or even about what the Crystal Empire is to Equestria. The whole conversation is just an excuse for people to mention their headcanon. Seriously, I can't imagine a vassal state to Equestria anymore than I could imagine Ponyville becoming an independent city just because it has a princess living there.

And calling the thing "Equestria Games", in my head, can only mean that it's hosted in Equestria or it's just a pointless naming convention that has no meaning and I could just as well call it "The Sblagaford Games".

8 minutes ago, Loud Opinion said:

@Metemponychosis,

That's a pretty cynical interpretation of my intentions. Heaven forbid anyone ever have an honest pursuit of a trivial answer.

What do you mean? Is this because I said that the point is discussing headcanon? I don't see that as cynical or even demeaning or offensive in any way.

Headcanon is as explanation to something canonica that official canon doesn't explain. Discussing what the Crystal Empire is to Equestria is precisely that.

@Metemponychosis,

But that's not the entirety of what you said, is it?

On 2/1/2019 at 8:48 AM, Metemponychosis said:

The whole conversation is just an excuse for people to mention their headcanon

'Excuse' is the key word here. It implies dishonesty or an ulterior motive that you have no bases to claim. Not only that, but you've extrapolated the obvious fact that this is a trivial pursuit as if it were some form of revelation, instead of the heavy implication we can assume people know going in. I won't fault you for the latter though because it is very possible that some people could have missed that implication.

There's no need to retcon what you said or meant. If you were in a different headspace or got carried away, then say so and we can come to an understanding.

Just now, Loud Opinion said:

@Metemponychosis,

But that's not the entirety of what you said, is it?

'Excuse' is the key word here. It implies dishonesty or an ulterior motive that you have no bases to claim. Not only that, but you've extrapolated the obvious fact that this is a trivial pursuit as if it were some form of revelation, instead of the heavy implication we can assume people know going in. I won't fault you for the latter though because it is very possible that some people could have missed that implication.

There's no need to retcon what you said or meant. If you were in a different headspace or got carried away, then say so and we can come to an understanding.

What I said is exactly what I meant. You feel offended over something petty and where there was no intention to offend other than the inside of your head. Specially because it's exactly what you're doing when you ask people to tell you their thoughts on something like that. Now, I'm going to stop here, because I don't like your condescending tone.

@Metemponychosis,

Again you are extrapolating things you can't know. I know you don't want to continue, but to make an assertion like that doesn't warrant the final word. Of course I'm going to disagree with you on that.

I may have made a leap in logic, but at least I had some grounding. You may see my original willingness to move on from this as condescending, but I only tried to make that clear because you thought I was offended. Don't you want people to make an attempt to understand why you said something and ask for clarification?

• 3 weeks later...

I'm thinking it's more or less a vassal state, or a puppet state. There is no way it's a fully independent state, since all ponies live in Equestria right? However, we do not really know the full extent of the world, so I can't really say that for sure.

• 9 months later...
On 2/1/2019 at 6:48 AM, Metemponychosis said:

I doubt that if Olympia was still around, the games would be called Olympic Games and be hosted all over the world. It's as nonsensical as hosting the PanAmerican Games in South Africa. The problem is the name they gave it, that makes no sense. They should've called it the "world games" or something like that.

Oh it doesn't still exist.... better notify the residents of Olympia Greece then. 

On 2/1/2019 at 6:48 AM, Metemponychosis said:

I can't imagine

Lack of imagination is no excuse for dismissing the idea of an Equestrian Empire or not knowing that a Greek city still exists. 

Marathons are still called a marathon even when they are not held in Greece. In case you did not know where the story/name originated. In short things keep the name of where they were founded rather often and then travel from its source location. 

9 hours ago, Jedishy said:

Oh it doesn't still exist.... better notify the residents of Olympia Greece then. 

Lack of imagination is no excuse for dismissing the idea of an Equestrian Empire or not knowing that a Greek city still exists. 

Marathons are still called a marathon even when they are not held in Greece. In case you did not know where the story/name originated. In short things keep the name of where they were founded rather often and then travel from its source location. 

It exists as a city within the modern country of Greece. Not an independent city estate, as it was in that time, as was meant within the context of the conversation.

Marathon became the name, or modality, of the sport, not a whole event.

It's not lack of imagination. It's common sense.

Edit: Sorry for the childish outburst that was here. I had a bad day and I really should've left the email notification waiting instead of opening it. I welcome conversation.

Edited by Metemponychosis
I'm a dumbass.

You know, It's just occurred to me that if we put the writers for the show in separate rooms and asked them this question, we'd probably get five or six different answers. I'm done wasting time talking about something the creators of the show had no clue about. It's like the name "Empire". The word has a colloquial use but every time someone brings that up, there is always some smartass that goes about the obscure meaning of the word. It's a cartoon, for children, that barely held it's own lore in one piece. It's not explained... Anything goes. It's the definition of headcanon.

Closest answer to me was Vassal State, but I think of it being more like a 'territory.' Remember that even with Sombra's exodus, the Empire was technically conquered by Equestria before it was blasted into the phantom zone. As such then when it returned, that land was still occupied by Equestria, and Celestia sent one of her own royals to govern it. I'd suspect, with time, some democratic elements would come into, with the Empire having the option to elect one of their own to serve as ruler, and also the option of officially becoming an Equestrian state.